Tap Selections

Tapping the great MMA content from around the web

Jon Jones’ Toe Doc: “Everybody plays Monday morning quarterback”

Fightland talks to: The doctor who set Jon Jones' toe
fightland.vice.com

The treatment for a compound fracture is to clean up the wound, have it set, and then use antibiotics to make sure there’s no infection. I saw that somebody had said it was sutured and he was allowed to just walk on it. It wasn’t the case. It wasn’t sutured in the arena. Jones wasn’t walking on an open wound. That sounds like a silly quote from someone who doesn’t work many fights. Many fighters get cuts and wounds during their bouts and they’re cleaned up and covered or sutured and allowed to go about their day. The wound was cleaned, it was dressed; there were no sutures placed at the event. The injury was splinted and closed and covered with a dressing, and arrangements were made to have him taken to the emergency room.

As for the criticism that Jones shouldn’t have been allowed to go to the post-fight press conference before going to the hospital, everybody that practices medicine knows that a patient has a right to autonomy and to make their own decisions. You can’t force them to do anything. If he wanted to talk at the press conference, he had every right to, as does any other patient. You can’t force them to go to the emergency room that second. If they’re awake, alert, and oriented, and they can make a reasonable decision, they can decide when to go. It wasn’t a life-threatening issue, contrary to the nonsense I’ve seen on the Internet. It’s very funny when you’re there looking at something and then you see what propagates and how things get twisted and distorted. But it happens from time to time. Everybody plays Monday morning quarterback.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, and while far be it for me to question any sort of procedure, I can agree with the general feeling that at the very least, Jones and his team should have been a little bit more careful in terms of handling his toe in order to prevent infection.  I get it.  You would think the chances of obtaining an infection from a dirty arena floor are slim.  And in all likelihood, they probably are.  But that's what you say until it happens, right?

Either way, good for the doc to set the record straight and let us know that the wound was cleaned inside of the cage instead of the thought that Jones walked all the way to the dressing room before anything went down.

A Jose Aldo move up to lightweight may result in a Renan Barao jump to featherweight

If UFC champ Jose Aldo moves up in weight, teammate Renan Barao could follow
www.mmajunkie.com

If UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo does indeed make a move to lightweight, current interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) could also move up a division.

“I feel very good in this weight division, but I feel in two or three years, if Aldo decides to move up a weight division, I might do that, too,” Barao recently told MMAjunkie.com.

...

“I used to fight at 66 kilos (145 pounds), but when we closed the deal with the WEC, our trainer decided that I needed to fight at bantamweight because I would never be champion since Aldo had been there forever,” Barao said. “He wanted another champion on the team.”

No one may be more happier to hear this news than Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who would no longer have to deal with an absolute killer in their divsion. Still, Aldo and Barao have to get past Anthony Pettis and Michael McDonald respectively before we can even consider this historic weight shift of champions to be closing in.

What are the real questions we should be asking about Vitor Belfort and TRT?

The questions not being asked about UFC’s backing of Vitor Belfort’s testosterone usage
www.fightopinion.com

Question 1. Who is the doctor?

UFC won’t give names. Is it Tim Trainor, Keith Kizer’s friendly doctor for the Nevada State Athletic Commission (who isn’t an endocrinologist)? Is it Dr. Jeff Davidson, the emergency room doctor that UFC leans on heavily for overseas events? If not either one of those doctors, then who is it? And why hasn’t the name been released?

Question 2. Did Belfort pay for the doctor to give the hall pass or has the doctor being paid/reimbursed for services by the UFC?

Remember when Rampage Jackson claimed that his doctor billed the UFC last year? He would later claim that a “Russian doctor” who hooked him up with testosterone was paid with money out of his own pocket…

Zach Arnold brings up some great points here about the kind of things we should be wondering after the revelation that Belfort is yet another fighter with a medical clearance to use TRT.

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one doing a double take when the UFC included the information about Belfort in their press release announcing Thiago Tavares' suspension on Wednesday.

The UFC would consider giving Rashad Evans an immediate title shot against Anderson Silva

Dana White: 'I'd consider Rashad' Evans for middleweight title shot
www.mmajunkie.com

While the undefeated Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) is still in the running for a shot at UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound kingpin Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC), White threw another possibility into the mix: UFC 156 co-headliner and light heavyweight Rashad Evans.

“I would consider Rashad,” White said. “If Rashad won on Saturday night and wanted to go to 185, we would consider that.”

...

“A lot of people think Chris Weidman is the No. 1 contender right now,” White said. “If Rashad made a move from 205 down to 185, it’d be safe to say he’s now No. 1.”

Chris Weidman can't catch a break.

And maybe this will finally be the fuel Evans needs to make the drop.

UFC veteran Assuerio Silva shot five times in Brazil, in serious condition

Report: UFC Veteran Assuerio Silva in Serious Condition After Shooting in Brazil
www.sherdog.com

UFC veteran Assuerio Silva was shot Tuesday evening outside his gym in Curitiba, Brazil, according to a report from Brazilian news outlet Parana Online.

Silva, 38, was allegedly shot five times by a former associate, whom Silva reportedly identified as Robson Freitas. The Brazilian was reportedly taken to a local hospital and remains in serious condition.

The heavyweight made his MMA debut in 1997 and won eight of his first 10 fights, joining Japan’s Pride Fighting Championships in 2001. The former Chute Boxe standout then made his Octagon foray in 2006 at UFC Fight Night 3, falling to former champion Tim Sylvia via unanimous decision. Silva competed twice more in the UFC and recorded two more losses, submitting to a Brandon Vera guillotine choke at UFC 60 before dropping a majority decision to Cheick Kongo at UFC 70.

Our best wishes to Silva for a full recovery and his family at this obviously tough time.

Patricky Friere injured, Saad Awad to replace him in tourney tomorrow night at Bellator 87

Patricky Pitbull out of lightweight tournament with an injury
themmareport.com

Patricky Pitbull has suffered a knee injury in his final sparring session and is out of the tournament. .Replacing him against Guillaume DeLorenzi will be Saad Awad.

Awad was already scheduled to be on the Bellator fight card tomorrow night and he was set to face Jason Fischer on the preliminary card.

Replacing Awad against Fisher will be Sevak Magakian, who will be making his Bellator debut and is currently on a six fight winning streak.

HT to MMA Junkie for the find.

Bellator 87 was already lacking in star power and now loses its most notable fighter on the card due to injury, and at the very last minute. The injury bug isn't just hitting the UFC these days.

Matt Hughes regrets not moving up to middleweight for a shot at two belts

Matt Hughes nearly quit fighting in 2001, regrets never facing Anderson Silva
www.mmajunkie.com

If the 39-year-old has any regrets in his octagon career, it’s that he wasn’t able to move up to middleweight to fight for a title. He said he would have fought Evan Tanner for the belt if Tanner had beaten his longtime friend Rich Franklin at UFC 53, but Franklin won, and told the UFC he wouldn’t face Franklin at the conclusion of “The Ultimate Fighter 2.”

“Anderson Silva,” Hughes said of the fighter he most wanted to face. “I always wanted to go up to 185 to put the belts together.”

Instead, Hughes settled in at welterweight. He said his first rematch with Penn, which saw him earn a third-round TKO, and a first-round TKO of Royce Gracie remain among his favorite memories in the UFC.

The potential Hughes-Tanner bout has been a good MMA trivia question for a long time. It's also interesting to think about what would have been if Frank Trigg had finished what he started in the first round against Hughes at UFC 52. It would have been him as a coach on "TUF 2" against Franklin.

Cung Le would fight Anderson Silva if the possibility arises

Cung Le on talk of fighting Anderson Silva: 'I'm totally open for it'
www.mmafighting.com

That possibility came from Silva’s manager Ed Soares, who admitted even while saying it that he didn’t know whether it was a fight that would interest the UFC.

The mention flattered Le, who has been idle since his Nov. 10 knockout win against Rich Franklin. The 40-year-old, who has one foot planted in the fight world and the other in Hollywood, is in a position where he can pick the path of his future, and he admitted that a fight with Silva is something that would interest him.

“If the UFC wants me to fight after our discussion, I’m totally open for it,” he said on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

While it's a good move on Le's part to step up to the plate and strike while the iron his hot, I don't think anyone seriously wants to see this fight other than Le, Silva and Soares. Silva would destroy Le inside of four minutes, and that's giving Le the benefit of the doubt.

Dana White said that Silva and Soares throwing around names of potential opponents is commonplace, and it's true. We've seen it before. And I don't know if the non-interest in Weidman is because of the threat he poses or his lack of name value. What I do know is that there are better choices out there for a title defense than Le.

Mike Dolce says he could have Cris Cyborg at 135 lbs in two days

Mike Dolce: I could have 'Cyborg' at 135 pounds in 48 hours for Ronda Rousey
www.mmajunkie.com

“I don’t know what it is now, but I’ve been doing it so long that I’m very intuitive in my work, and as soon as I saw her, I could have her make 135 pounds in [two days],” he said. “I guarantee it. ... And she’d be in world-class shape.”

Santos, who said she walks around north of 170 pounds, spoke to Dolce about her lifestyle, including training and her diet. From that conversation, Dolce said he was able to identify ways for her to successfully make such a drastic weight cut, even in such a short timeframe.

“Now, I don’t suggest that,” he said. “I suggest we have a great 12- or 16-week training camp. The more, the better because she’ll be healthier, and she’ll be better able. But this is what I do. ... I’m not bragging. It’s just what it is. I know how to do it healthy.”

I don't doubt Dolce's talents. His work speaks for itself. However, I have a hard time believing that assisting Cyborg in dropping from 170 lbs to 135 lbs will be easy, let alone in the span of a couple of days. 

The evidence continues to mount regarding Cyborg's potential to make it down to bantamweight. Hopefully Tito Ortiz decides to do the right thing and get his client in touch with Dolce for a shot at a big-time payday against Ronda Rousey.

Judge denies Eddie Alvarez injunction against Bellator, fight at UFC 159 scrapped

Eddie Alvarez denied the chance to fight at UFC 159 after judge rules against injunction request
www.mmafighting.com

But in his decision, Linares wrote that Alvarez failed to satisfy the burden of showing a reasonable probability of success and irreparable harm.

“It is speculative to suggest, as Alvarez does, that an inability to compete in the April 27 event will result in irreparable harm in the form of a lost opportunity to obtain notoriety, endorsements, and a wider exposure to viewers,” he wrote.

Linares did note that Alvarez had at least one potential battleground issue in his ongoing litigation, acknowledging that the difference between broadcast network FOX and cable channel Spike could lead a court or jury to find that the Bellator has not matched Zuffa’s contract.

It's a shame that Alvarez will continue to be stuck in limbo for the time being. Just because he was denied an injunction, doesn't mean that the legal battle is over. The case could still go to trial, and Alvarez now has the words of a judge that the difference between FOX and Spike has the potential to be recognized as vast.

The one thing that concerns me is the relationship status between Alvarez and Bellator if he has to end up staying in the organization. What an awkward situation to be in.

I understand why Bellator is refusing to back down. They want to have the precedent set in stone in case another situation like this arises in the future. But after all of the negative publicity and accusations thrown back and forth, it might make more sense just to let Eddie walk at this point. Like Dana said, he isn't even their champion.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >