“He weights 205 pounds now because he is already thinking about the weight cut to face GSP,” said Camoes, who works with the likes of Erick Silva, Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante and Ronald “Jacare” Souza at X-Gym. “Anderson cutting about six pounds from the middleweight division and St-Pierre gaining six pounds from the welterweight limit would be a fair decision for both of them and to the crowd to see a great fight.
“It would be a crime Anderson Silva fighting at 170 pounds. He could hit that weight, but his physical decreases would be enormous. We’ve got to respect Georges St-Pierre, who isn’t only a fighter, but a monster, physically talking. If they fight as welterweights, GSP should have a considerable advantage.”
The only logical scenario for this fight is a catchweight. Silva feels he would be at the disadvantage moving to welterweight and St. Pierre feels the same way about moving to middleweight.
Now the focus of most of Couture’s interviews these days revolve around what he’s up to these days in terms of his acting career, but the MMA legend doesn’t escape a few questions about his fighting past.
One of the most common questions has to be ‘is there any fight that would draw you back into the Octagon?’.
Well, leave it to Randy Couture to spice things up and throw out another action star’s name, who isn’t in The Expendables, but happens to be swirling around his old stomping ground in the UFC.
“Not unless (Steven) Seagal wants to sign up,” Couture answered with a smile and a laugh.
Please God, make Seagal respond with a 'yes'.
While co-hosting Tuesday’s new edition of FUEL TV’s “UFC Tonight,” Sonnen called UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) a “dork” and suggested beating “Bones” would be no more difficult than stealing his Halloween candy.
Today, Jones and his manager lashed back at the often-outspoken Sonnen and suggested the “idiot” should focus on his work as an analyst.
“The things you say about me hold absolutely no weight,” Jones wrote on Twitter. “You disrespected Anderson (Silva) and his country but fought like a child.
“If you’re going to disrespect me out of nowhere, at least disrespect me to my face like a man. And you call me a punk, I’m more man than you’ll ever be.”
It's hard to say that Jon Jones has a weakness at this point, but if you were going to focus on one aspect that could be, it would be mentally. We all know the Jones' family rise from a rough upbringing and the road that "Bones" has taken to the title at such a young age. It requires a tremendous amount of heart and focus.
But after his DUI troubles earlier this year and his flip-flopping during his feud with Rashad Evans, one has to wonder whether or not the young phenom is still able to keep that focus. Engaging in a battle of words with Chael this early in the game is questionable.
Frankie Edgar: Move to 145 Pounds is a Possibility
The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.
“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”
A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.
“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”
I'm probably wrong, but this might be the first public acknowledgement that Edgar is actually considering dropping down. I can't think of another instance at the top of my head right now.
“It could happen of course,” he said. “It definitely can happen, but for me, that’s far ahead in time. Right now, I’m not thinking about that. I can’t. My main thing right now is to get better, and then when I’m going to fight, to get ready to win the fight, what I need to do to win and beat the guy. I need to focus on one thing at a time.
“You never know what’s going to happen in the future,” he continued. “A lot of things can change. There are a lot of big fights coming up. Chris Weidman, I’ve seen him in training. He’s at a different level. He can be world champion if he fights Anderson first. So, this fight is not written in blood. If all goes well and all the stars are aligned, yeah, maybe one day it will happen. But right now, I just came back and I need to fight Carlos Condit. We’ll see what’s going to happen next.”
St-Pierre said that he understands the fans’ interest in the match, and said that he, too, has a desire to engage in a superfight that helps MMA “reach the next level.” But right now, it’s only something he can discuss in general terms, because there is no offer for it directly in front of him.
And with that, GSP gives another bland answer when it comes to fighting Anderson Silva. It seems like he's been on the fence about it for a few years now. Personally, I'm not sure that it's a fight he's ultimately comfortable with taking due to the severe negative impact it could have on his legacy if he were to lose. Nobody wants to be remembered as number two.
One other man that wants to lay claim to the coveted UFC middleweight title shot is Alan Belcher.
“I’ve put together a nice little streak,” Belcher remarked on a recent edition of AXS TV’s (formerly HDNet) Inside MMA.
That he has.
In his last seven trips to the Octagon, Belcher has only one blemish on his resume. He lost a split decision – in a fight many felt he won – to Yoshihiro Akiyama three summers ago at UFC 100.
Just in case you're counting, that now makes Belcher, Chael Sonnen, Patrick Cote, Rich Franklin, Cung Le, Chris Weidman, Mark Munoz, Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold, Hector Lombard and Vitor Belfort that all have tried to lay a claim at a future shot at Silva.
Now's as good a time as ever, right?
Nebraska-based promotion Resurrection Fighting Alliance recently announced the signings of two-time NCAA Division I heavyweight wrestling champion Steve Mocco and UFC veteran Tyson Griffin.
According to an official release, Mocco inked a five-fight deal, while Griffin’s contract will see him compete three times under the RFA banner; information on the fighters’ RFA debuts was not announced.
Griffin has not competed since suffering a knockout at the hands of Bart Palaszewski last October. The defeat marked Griffin’s fourth loss in five fights, though the result of his November 2010 split decision defeat to Nik Lentz carried with it much controversy. Following that lightweight bout, the 14-time Octagon vet returned to the featherweight division last June and outpointed former WEC title challenger Manny Gamburyan before missing weight ahead of his UFC 137 clash with “Bartimus.” The 28-year-old is now expected to jump back to 155 pounds, the weight at which he competed for the first 12 fights of his UFC career.
The UFC’s planned September return to the Midwest for a show in Indianapolis has been scrapped.
Sources close to the event on Tuesday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com that UFC on FX 5, which was set for Sept. 7 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, will not happen as planned. UFC officials were not immediately available to comment on the reason for the change.
Instead, UFC on FX 5 is expected to take place, sources said, on Oct. 5. A location and venue for the card is not yet known, but the UFC is soon expected to make an official announcement about the change. Additional sources said the show will not remain in Indianapolis.
UFC on FX 5 would have been the promotion’s second event at the 19,000-seat arena, which was known as Conseco Fieldhouse the first time the UFC visited the Indiana state capital for UFC 119 in September 2010.
ABC changes Unified Rules judging
Summary of Changes:
I. Effective Defense Removed as a criteria:
Effective Defense will no longer be considered a requirement for the following reasons:
1. The committee believes that offensive actions should be the only criteria used to score MMA matches. Offensive fighters are fighters which carry the fight and push the action, and make the fight happen.
2. Defense is its own reward. A fighter who chooses to avoid using defensive actions will invariably suffer the consequences. For example if a fighter decides that they do not want to block or avoid a strike, protect themselves from a submission, or avoid a throw or takedown then they will suffer the results of those offensive actions being used against them. The only role defensive action plays is to keep a fighter in the fight longer so that they can attempt to score using offensive actions.
3. Having two fighters avoid offensive actions and rely solely on defense goes against the basic primary consideration of any combative sport: To score using offense.
II. Striking and Grappling are now considered to be given equal weight.
The old scoring system rewarded striking (as a primary consideration) more than grappling. Mixed Martial Arts is based on two skill sets - striking and grappling. The committee felt that grappling should not be a secondary factor in determining the outcome of a match. Grappling has a definitive skill set and athleticism and offensive capabilities which when used correctly can effectively end a fight. As such grappling skills should be rewarded and given equal weight to striking.
This is kind of a big deal.
A chance to make grappling as big of a factor as striking and to relieve some of the importance on defensive tactics and damage is absolutely huge and could end up as a start to solving MMA's judging woes of the last few years. I really hope these changes transfer well from paper to live fights.
Showtime Sports Boss Wants to See UFC Champ vs. Strikeforce Champ Superfights
On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, Showtime sports president Stephen Espinoza surprisingly put forth a hope of matching Strikeforce champions against UFC champions.
“I hope that we’re getting the story out there clearly enough that these are two high-level organizations, he said. “You can make the analogy—the one I like to use is the AFL and the NFL. Before the NFL as we currently know it existed, there were two leagues and they’d play once a year in the Super Bowl. And that’s how the Super Bowl came about, was a championship between two different leagues. I think a best case-scenario for the fans that I talk to and I’m sure the fans that you talk to, [they] would like to see some structure like that and sort of answer those questions about who is the best middleweight, who is the best welterweight, all those kinds of things going forward.”
Espinoza didn’t say how likely such a scenario is, and chances are probably against it in the immediate future given the demanding schedules of the UFC and Strikeforce, along with all of the contractual obligations and fine-print details that might get in the way. Yet it’s certainly intriguing to hear that a high-powered executive with some sway in the possibility has an interest in answering the questions that are until now, just hypothetical.
I know what you're thinking. UFC vs. PRIDE. UFC vs. WEC. They never happened. And UFC vs. Strikeforce probably never will either, but for the first time, we actually have a non-Zuffa/DSE executive who is willing to put his money where his mouth is.
Still gives me hope.