Tap Selections

Tapping the great MMA content from around the web

A Jose Aldo move up to lightweight may result in a Renan Barao jump to featherweight

If UFC champ Jose Aldo moves up in weight, teammate Renan Barao could follow
www.mmajunkie.com

If UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo does indeed make a move to lightweight, current interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) could also move up a division.

“I feel very good in this weight division, but I feel in two or three years, if Aldo decides to move up a weight division, I might do that, too,” Barao recently told MMAjunkie.com.

...

“I used to fight at 66 kilos (145 pounds), but when we closed the deal with the WEC, our trainer decided that I needed to fight at bantamweight because I would never be champion since Aldo had been there forever,” Barao said. “He wanted another champion on the team.”

No one may be more happier to hear this news than Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who would no longer have to deal with an absolute killer in their divsion. Still, Aldo and Barao have to get past Anthony Pettis and Michael McDonald respectively before we can even consider this historic weight shift of champions to be closing in.

Edgar Considering Move to Featherweight, Not Concerned with Weight Cut

Frankie Edgar: Move to 145 Pounds is a Possibility
www.sherdog.com

The loss added fuel to the ongoing debate over whether Edgar should drop a weight class, and coming off the defeat the former champion is definitely considering his options.

“I’m going to give myself a week to kind of just let all the emotions go away, just relax and enjoy my family and then sit down probably Sunday with my team and everyone else and just start bouncing some ideas around,” Edgar told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “Forty-five is a possibility. Fifty-five, I’ve been so successful and I would love to get a shot at the 155-pound belt again. Who knows? The 145-pound belt is definitely a prestigious belt to go after, especially with Jose Aldo at the helm of it all, but I’ve just got to really sit down and just discuss it with my team and my family and just make the right decision for myself.”

...

A move to 145 pounds would not be difficult, Edgar said.

“I don’t think I’d have to tweak much,” he explained. “I probably would clean my diet maybe some. I like to eat fairly clean and I’m not a huge eater, so I wouldn’t have to change too, too much, but I’ll be honest: I think a lot of 145-pounders are probably bigger than me down at that weight class anyway. They probably walk around heavier than I do. I don’t think making the weight would be too much of a problem.”

I'm probably wrong, but this might be the first public acknowledgement that Edgar is actually considering dropping down. I can't think of another instance at the top of my head right now.

CSAC Denies Cris “Cyborg” Santos Appeal, Suspension and Fines Stand

CSAC denies Cris 'Cyborg' Santos, yearlong suspension stands
mmajunkie.com

At a meeting held today in Sacramento, Calif., the California State Athletic Commission voted to uphold a yearlong suspension and fine of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos.
...

During the meeting, Santos took responsibility for the positive test in a statement read to the commission.

“I made a mistake,” Santos said. “I do not condone the use of performance enhancing drugs in MMA.”

The statement played favorably with commissioner John Frierson, who applauded the fighter for appearing before the commission and introduced a motion to have the suspension reduced to six months.

“At least she came before us and fell on the sword,” he said.

I'm not sure if this was "Cyborg" admitting that she knowingly took PED's (she originally said that she used a dietary supplement to help her cut weight that she thought was deemed safe but ultimately was not) but either way, it was a step in the right direction in terms of her road back.

Jose Aldo’s Top Training Partner, Hacran Diaz, is Coming to the UFC

UFC Inks Nova Uniao Featherweight Hacran Dias to 3-Fight Deal
www.sherdog.com

Hacran Dias, the 27-year-old cousin of Bellator competitor Marlon Sandro and main sparring partner of UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo, signed a three-fight contract with the UFC on Saturday before the cameras of Brazil’s Sensei SporTV.

“Today is the happiest day of my life,” Dias told the Brazilian outlet. “Dede [Pederneiras] has been working on this for a long time, trying to get me in there, and today he came up with the contract, super-happy. When he handed it to me, I couldn’t believe it. Everyone cheered for me. I’m very happy with everything that’s happening to me.”

Dias joins teammates Aldo, Renan Barao, Johnny Eduardo and Luis Ramos under the Zuffa banner. A product of Rio de Janeiro’s Santo Amaro favela, Dias began fighting at age 18 after a brief career in youth soccer and has since amassed an impressive 20-1-1 record. He currently holds the Shooto South America featherweight title and has won eight straight outings since dropping a decision to South Korean standout Yui Chul Nam in July 2009.