Fightland talks to: The doctor who set Jon Jones' toe
The treatment for a compound fracture is to clean up the wound, have it set, and then use antibiotics to make sure there’s no infection. I saw that somebody had said it was sutured and he was allowed to just walk on it. It wasn’t the case. It wasn’t sutured in the arena. Jones wasn’t walking on an open wound. That sounds like a silly quote from someone who doesn’t work many fights. Many fighters get cuts and wounds during their bouts and they’re cleaned up and covered or sutured and allowed to go about their day. The wound was cleaned, it was dressed; there were no sutures placed at the event. The injury was splinted and closed and covered with a dressing, and arrangements were made to have him taken to the emergency room.
As for the criticism that Jones shouldn’t have been allowed to go to the post-fight press conference before going to the hospital, everybody that practices medicine knows that a patient has a right to autonomy and to make their own decisions. You can’t force them to do anything. If he wanted to talk at the press conference, he had every right to, as does any other patient. You can’t force them to go to the emergency room that second. If they’re awake, alert, and oriented, and they can make a reasonable decision, they can decide when to go. It wasn’t a life-threatening issue, contrary to the nonsense I’ve seen on the Internet. It’s very funny when you’re there looking at something and then you see what propagates and how things get twisted and distorted. But it happens from time to time. Everybody plays Monday morning quarterback.
Obviously I'm not a doctor, and while far be it for me to question any sort of procedure, I can agree with the general feeling that at the very least, Jones and his team should have been a little bit more careful in terms of handling his toe in order to prevent infection. I get it. You would think the chances of obtaining an infection from a dirty arena floor are slim. And in all likelihood, they probably are. But that's what you say until it happens, right?
Either way, good for the doc to set the record straight and let us know that the wound was cleaned inside of the cage instead of the thought that Jones walked all the way to the dressing room before anything went down.
If UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo does indeed make a move to lightweight, current interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) could also move up a division.
“I feel very good in this weight division, but I feel in two or three years, if Aldo decides to move up a weight division, I might do that, too,” Barao recently told MMAjunkie.com.
“I used to fight at 66 kilos (145 pounds), but when we closed the deal with the WEC, our trainer decided that I needed to fight at bantamweight because I would never be champion since Aldo had been there forever,” Barao said. “He wanted another champion on the team.”
No one may be more happier to hear this news than Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who would no longer have to deal with an absolute killer in their divsion. Still, Aldo and Barao have to get past Anthony Pettis and Michael McDonald respectively before we can even consider this historic weight shift of champions to be closing in.
Question 1. Who is the doctor?
UFC won’t give names. Is it Tim Trainor, Keith Kizer’s friendly doctor for the Nevada State Athletic Commission (who isn’t an endocrinologist)? Is it Dr. Jeff Davidson, the emergency room doctor that UFC leans on heavily for overseas events? If not either one of those doctors, then who is it? And why hasn’t the name been released?
Question 2. Did Belfort pay for the doctor to give the hall pass or has the doctor being paid/reimbursed for services by the UFC?
Remember when Rampage Jackson claimed that his doctor billed the UFC last year? He would later claim that a “Russian doctor” who hooked him up with testosterone was paid with money out of his own pocket…
Zach Arnold brings up some great points here about the kind of things we should be wondering after the revelation that Belfort is yet another fighter with a medical clearance to use TRT.
I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one doing a double take when the UFC included the information about Belfort in their press release announcing Thiago Tavares' suspension on Wednesday.
The Ultimate Fighter's ratings drop slightly despite top knockout
Tuesday night’s episode of The Ultimate Fighter reality show delivered a 0.92 rating and 1,191,000 viewers, a six percent drop from the prior week.
The season remains the highest rated of the three seasons on FX, but with the move to Tuesday and higher profile coaches in Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, that should have been the case. It’s slightly behind the pace of the lowest rated seasons on Spike.
The most significant sports competition was a college basketball game on ESPN that did 2.42 million viewers. The show improved slightly on its movie lead-in that did 1.09 million viewers.
Ratings are still higher than usual, but the traditonal decline from the start of the season has begun. It's nothing bad to write home about. It's going to happen regardless. And to be honest, I think this mark is where this season is going to hover for the remainder of it.
Negotiations between Josh Barnett and UFC hit a sticking point
Josh Barnett (32-6) and UFC parent Zuffa still haven’t reached a deal.
The top free agent’s rep said the two sides have reached “a sticking point” despite agreeing on guaranteed compensation.
“Once we have an acceptable deal with someone, we will close, sign and hopefully fight within a few months,” manager Leland LaBarre today told MMAjunkie.com.
Sources close to the promotion confirmed that Barnett’s offer was still on the table, though talks had recently deteriorated.
Another quote from Barnett's manager here telling Ariel Helwani that money is not the issue.
The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was professional wrestling. Barnett has been wrestling over in Japan for a decade now and has become a top draw over in Japan, performing for Antonio Inoki's IGF for the last few years.
I know Barnett has said that his ability to work has been limited by Zuffa in the past, but I honestly don't see any good reason to not let him compete. He's a trained professional. Injuries happen, but they can also occur in BJJ meets too.
Whatever it may be, I hope Barnett and the UFC work it out because I know I'm not the only one who would love to see him back in there.
Bellator’s first pay-per-view event will happen sooner rather than later if Eddie Alvarez returns to the promotion’s fold.
“If we can figure that out, I think we’d be on a fast track to being able to put [a pay-per-view card] in motion,” Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com.
Now, Alvarez will ultimately decide whether to return to Bellator or fight further to free himself. Rebney remains optimistic he’ll do the former. The promoter wants to see Chandler vs. Alvarez II.
“It’s the best fight I’ve ever seen live, pay-per-view or free,” Rebney said. “I think the rematch of that fight would be epic.”
Rebney's words only further the debate regarding the PPV issue in the ongoing dispute between Eddie Alvarez and Bellator in my opinion. It's becoming more and more clear that the promise of matching the UFC's offer of dollars per PPV buys is based off of the idea that Bellator could put on a PPV if need be and not like the UFC, which offers multiple PPV's monthly without fail.
Wiith that said, I think that Bellator will eventually move to PPV and do quite well. The deeper the relationship with Spike goes, the better the result will be. I just don't think it's feasible within the next few months if the Alvarez mess gets squared away.
Ratings report: UFC sets FX viewership record with UFC 156 prelims
Saturday’s UFC 156 prelims drew 1,897,000 viewers, topping the previous UFC on FX record of 1,860,000 viewers set two weeks earlier for the Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping card from Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The number was a huge increase from the prelims on FX on Jan. 26 before the FOX network special from Chicago’s United Center which did 1,208,000 viewers.
The largest previous audience on FX for prelims before a big show came on July 7 when the UFC 148 prelims did 1.8 million viewers. But that was to be expected, since there was more interest in UFC on that day with the Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen middleweight title rematch than any day over the past two years.
So a new level for ratings was set with Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau as the featured fight. Was this reason? No. For the first time since UFC 154, the UFC's marketing team was going balls to the wall.
I'm not sure how much of the prelims crowd transitioned over to the PPV as those numbers are weird sometimes, but I'm willing to bet it made somewhat of a difference. PPV buys from the Super Bowl weekend shows are traditionally strong regardless.
Dana White has said that the UFC marketing machine will be going all out for Ronday Rousey's debut and I'm excited to see what they can do. The promo they released over the weekend is a good start.
Zoila Gurgel signs multi-fight deal with Invicta FC for April debut
The 115-pound women’s champ recently signed a multi-fight agreement with Invicta FC, sources close to the event confirmed to MMAjunkie.com.
Gurgel will face a to-be-announced opponent at the all-female promotion’s fifth event, which takes place April 6. Though a venue and location have not been announced, and prevoius reports indicated the promotion’s hope to expand its horizons, potentially for an event in California, the plan is for Invicta FC 5 to take place in Kansas City, Mo.
Bellator and Invicta officials could not be reached Monday evening for comment on the move. Gurgel most recently competed at flyweight for the tournament-based promotion at Bellator 83, where she was choked unconscious in 58 seconds by Jessica Eye.
We're still in the middle of the battle between Bellator and Eddie Alvarez so I'm dying to hear a response from Bellator on this. It might end up being no big deal, they let Zoila walk after a loss, or her contract expired and they decided not to match. Or it could be a huge deal.
If the former is the case, it's a move that benefits both sides. For Invicta, they get their hands on an elite strawweight that has name value. Bellator now gets an out of women's MMA if they want it. I'm not sure if they do, but they haven't run a women's tournament since season three and no longer have the roster to do so, at least at the moment.
With Invicta going full steam and the UFC testing the waters when it comes to the females, Bellator now has three options - it's time to either go all in, get out completely, or use them as local attractions during the preliminary fights, and that's it.
In recent years, those numbers have waned as the ballooning size of the UFC roster has made it more difficult for the promotion to offer such opportunities. But according to UFC president Dana White, this season’s fights are so good and so competitive, he couldn’t bring himself to cut a single competitor. Not one. When the season finishes airing on FX, each man will get at least one more chance to compete in the UFC.
“This season is so f———good, and I was so happy with the guys, I told them, every one of you guys are going to fight. You’re going to get one more chance in the UFC,” White said. “Every guy here is going to get one more chance in the UFC. [Matchmaker] Joe Silva wants to f———kill me. ‘It’s impossible. It mathematically doesn’t work.’ I said, ‘Mathematically make it work.’”
White said whatever the UFC would have to do to make it happen, they would do, including adding one extra fight on each card until each contestant gets his opportunity. So while that make take away some of the drama of the show, at least it’s one sign that the finished product is indeed better than last season’s version.
I can't remember the last season in which every contestant, win or lose, was offered the chance to fight in the UFC, whether it be the finale or a regular event. If I had to guess, the last time may have been "TUF 8" with Frank Mir and Big Nog as coaches.
Either way, it just goes to show how much the show has improved overall in recent years. From the format to the filming to the scouting of the talent themselves, this season has been a success thus far and for good reason.
Silva had just spent the better part of an hour convincing reporters that he wasn’t bothered by Overeem’s words, but when the Brazilian got within speaking distance of his opponent, that all changed. The two met for a photo opportunity on Thursday and Silva wasted no time warning Overeem that he had crossed the line.
In a tense moment, Silva and Overeem neared each other and Silva appeared to make contact, with his massive left hand covering most of Overeem’s face. Silva then began to jaw at him. As Dana White attempted to step in between the massive heavyweights, Overeem responded and the two exchanged words and glares even as they backed away from each other to give way to the next pairing of fighters.
According to White, the exchange went like this:
Silva: “You better start showing respect.”
Overeem: “I’m going to f———destroy you.”
The only negative thing that Overeem has had to say about Silva this entire time was the same thing he said to him yesterday, that he's going to destroy him.
I think there is more to Bigfoot's anger than just that. He's likely upset that Overeem will be granted a shot at Cain Velasquez with a win and he will not after the bloody beating Velasquez gave him last spring.
Overeem also essentially took Bigfoot's spot with the Blackzillians after joining the camp, and Silva abruptly leaving and joining ATT, believing that he and Overeem would be fighting in the near future.
He was right.