Those who don't have our PR address can send releases through the contact form.
Undefeated World Light Heavyweight Kickboxing Champion Brian “The Mad Stork” Schwartz (18-0) will step in the cage for the first time in his 16-year professional fighting career to face Lemont Davis (8-4) in a 175 lb. limit matchup during the Strikeforce “Four Men Enter, One Man Survives” mixed martial arts mega-card at San Jose’s HP Pavilion on Friday, November 16th.
“I’m really loving training right now, which is good, because, at the end of my (kickboxing) career, I was a little burnt out and wasn’t training like I should. Since I’ve been back, though, I just got that fire again,” said the 33-year-old Schwartz, who originally closed the book on his fight career after stopping New York’s Michael Corleone in the fifth round of their kickboxing matchup in San Jose on October 21, 2005.
Yoshihiro Akiyama spoiled Denis Kang)‘s HERO’S debut with a KO victory tonight at the HERO’S Korea 2007. Held before a boisterous sellout crowd at the Jang Chung Gymnasium, the HERO’S Korea 2007 was a staggeringly ambitious production—featuring no less than 24 fighters in 12 bouts contested under HERO’S mixed martial arts rules.
The main event, keenly anticipated by fight sport fans in Korea, Japan and around the world, saw Yoshihiro Akiyama of Japan take on Canadian Denis Kang.
Akiyama, the HERO’S 2006 Light Middleweight Champion, was returning to action after serving a suspension for over-oiling his body at the HERO’S Dynamite event last New Year’s Eve. The slippery 32 year-old Japanese judoka faced a formidable opponent in Kang, a 30 year-old Canadian mixed martial arts fighter who packs a heck of a punch, and was making his HERO’S debut. The bout was contested with an 85kg/187lbs weight contract.
Kang threw the first strike, a low kick, then tested with jabs and straight punches. Both men kept their guards high, in no rush to close there were more jabs, straight punches and low kicks. Akiyama, fighting in shorts instead of his judogi, stayed at the perimeter, circling to his left, while Kang, head down, followed with the occasional punching attack—textbook combinations which Akiyama capably evaded or blocked. Meanwhile, in an effective if unspectacular manner, Akiyama was getting through with counters, picking his spots, putting the more surgical strikes forward. By midway through the first, Kang’s nose was bloodied.
Somewhat surprisingly, it was Kang who made the first and only takedown attempt in the fight. Equally surprising, Akiyama would have none of it, electing to fight this one on his feet. Time was running down in the first when Kang backed himself into the corner, intent perhaps on making his circling opponent approach him squarely. The tactic backfired miserably however, when Akiyama stepped in with a dandy little move, feigning a left, then another, before bringing the right in hard. Kang collapsed to the mat, Akiyama quickly planting another right for good measure before stepping back to let the referee through to call it. An impressive win for Akiyama.
“My mother supported me through the problems I had over the last year,” said Akiyama post-bout. “She was ringside tonight and I just want to say thanks to her and all my fans. I think I won because I was relaxed, when I saw that my jab had made Denis’ nose start bleeding, it made a big difference, gave me more confidence and helped me relax and focus even more. I hope to fight again soon, but it would not be right for me to expect I will be invited to Dynamite this year, we’ll see.”
NEW YORK - Sibling Entertainment Group Holdings, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: SIBE) [“Sibling Holdings”] announced Sibling Theatricals, Inc. [“Sibling Theatricals”], a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sibling Entertainment Group, Inc., together with Garlin Holdings Limited as Managing Members, have formed Sibling Sports, LLC (a Delaware limited liability company) for the purpose of creating M-1 Global, LLC (a New York limited liability company), a new mixed martial arts organization.
In addition, Monte Cox, a 13-year veteran of the mixed martial arts industry, was named President and CEO of M-1 Global.
MAMARONECK, N.Y. - Nearly 150 mixed martial athletes residing in 20 U.S. states – hailing from at least 10 other countries – came to the L.A. Boxing gym in Mamaroneck, N.Y. today, looking for spots on International Fight League teams at the IFL 2008 Draft.
It’s likely that none of those had a more rewarding trip to the New York suburb than Levon Maynard, a civilian Air Force computer technician who drove all night from Norfolk, Va., sleeping in his car before standing out among the more than 30 welterweights with an impressive showing in all phases that earned him a spot among the pool of 18 athletes selected by the coaches.
Mixed martial arts powerhouse Bodog Fight is teaming up with an organization founded by two of the biggest names in the sport.
Bodog Fight will sponsor the next event by Oregon-based SportFight, an up-and-coming MMA promotion founded by Team Quest marvels Randy “The Natural” Couture and Matt “The Law” Lindland.
Bodog Fight Presents: SportFight 20, The Homecoming will take place October 27 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon. The co-main events will feature Bodog Fight’s Chael Sonnen (20-8-1) and Kyacey “Ice Cold” Uscola (13-9) in a middleweight bout, and a welterweight battle between Chris “The Professor” Wilson (13-3) and Derrick Noble (22-9-1).
“We are delighted to be working with SportFight,” said Bodog Fight’s billionaire creator Calvin Ayre. “Joining forces will allow us to bring some of the world’s best mixed martial arts fighters to fans in the Portland area.”
Jeremy Luchau never really intended to be a writer and he surely never planned to be a fighter.
“Not only have I never been in a combat sport before, I’ve never even been in fist fight before,’’ the Hanford Sentinel sports reporter said.
But Luchau will certainly be in a fight on Thursday night, when he faces Michael Satumbaga in a three-round mixed martial arts matchup at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino. Luchau, a sports journalist for eight years, has been training to become an MMA fighter for 17 months, and recounting his experiences in a bi-weekly column known as “The Project.”
That “Project” will come to a climax when Luchau and Satumbaga tangle in a bout with a catch-weight limit of 165 pounds at the Palace Fighting Championship’s “Project Complete”.
LOS ANGELES – All fighters competing on upcoming Cage Rage fight cards will be subject to random drug testing, it was announced Wednesday.
Cage Rage, which recently was purchased by Los Angeles-based ProElite, Inc. (PELE.PK), is the biggest and most prestigious Mixed Martial Arts organization in the UK.
Gary Shaw, President of ProElite’s Live Events Division, EliteXC, initiated the idea to test the fighters
“Anybody that knows me knows that my No. 1 priority is the health and safety of the athletes,” Shaw said. “I wholeheartedly agree and support Cage Rage’s decision. This ensures that the highest safety standards will be in place each and every time a fighter competes in an EliteXC/Cage Rage fight card in Britain.”
The process will begin before the “EliteXC Presents Cage Rage 24” Dec. 1 event that will be aired on pay-per-view live at ProElite.com.
LEMOORE — Kenny Ento says he is always looking for some one to stand and trade with him. Justin Levens welcomes the idea.
“If it stays standing, I see myself with a smile and a shiny new belt,” said the Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran from Newport Beach.
“Most people say they are going to try and stand and trade with me ‘til I hit them. Then their game plan changes.”
Ento (8-2) is steadfast in his vow to keep his Palace Fighting Championship Middleweight Championship fight with Levens (9-7) standing on Oct. 18 at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore.
“I hope he wants to keep it standing and box it out,” said Hanford’s Ento, who is a slick submission master with seven of his eight victories coming by submission.
“I wouldn’t say that I have a game plan really. I try and take each fight and play it by ear, but I’ve continued to work on my standup and my ground is getting a lot cleaner.”
The Palace Fighting Championship Mixed Martial Arts promotional organization as a brand is relatively new to the landscape of the fastest growing sport in the world.
However, the folks who own and operate the PFC are industry veterans with solid resources and a strong track record in producing and promoting hundreds of successful events, including a whopping 27 consecutive sold out MMA events in what is a true tertiary market, Lemoore, CA.
In light of the recent news that the CFFC 6 event, which was scheduled to take place on October 12th in Atlantic City, New Jersey has been cancelled the folks at the PFC and Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino are offering to step to the plate and help see the fight between David “Tank” Abbott and Kimbo Slice come to fruition.
Two of the worlds most formidable fighters will do battle on the next episode of the hit mixed martial arts series Bodog Fight: New Jersey, with the winner taking home the inaugural Bodog Fight Middleweight Championship belt.
South Africa’s Trevor Prangley (14-4) would like nothing more than to adorn his muscular midriff with the bejeweled belt, but first he will have to get past Yuki Kondo (46-19-6).
A Japanese legend, Kondo has faced a who’s who of the sport, including Tito Ortiz, Wanderlei Silva, Phil Baroni, Josh Barnett, and Dan Henderson. Needless to say, the 31-year-old Pancrase veteran is confident he can whip Prangley.
“Trevor is tough, but I’ve fought some of the best fighters in the world and I believe my experience will serve me well for this fight,” warned Kondo.