The Daily Recap: Sengoku Releases Santiago, UFC 126 Prelims Number & More


Jorge Santiago. Photo by Jon Swenson.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— UFC and Strikeforce veteran has relinquished his Sengoku middleweight championship and been granted his release from the promotion, likely stemming from the postponement of their April show and suspected financial troubles. Santiago is looking to sign with a major North American organization. [MMAFighting.com]

— The UFC 126 Prelims broadcast, which aired this past Saturday on Spike, reportedly scored a series-high 2 million viewers. The hour-long broadcast featured Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa and Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly. Spike unveiled plans to carry 12 "UFC Prelims" events in 2011 last month. [MMAJunkie.com]

— Prior to forming the eight-man field for their upcoming heavyweight grand prix tournament, Strikeforce went to former two-division PRIDE champion Dan Henderson to gauge his interest in possibly competing in it. “They had kind of approached me about fighting in that heavyweight tournament just to see how I’d feel about it,” Henderson said. “I told them I was open to it. It was interesting. Definitely a huge challenge, and that’s one of the reasons why I’m still in the sport, just to challenge myself." [Sherdog.com]

Comments

<< Back to main