The Daily Recap: M-1 Wants Strict Drug Testing for Tourney, UFC Vets Announce Fights & More


Fedor Emelianenko’s trainers and management team gather for a press conference. Photo courtesy of M-1 Global.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— M-1 Global CEO Vadim Finkelstein is pushing for drug testing regulations that he hopes will begin with the semifinals of Strikeforce’s heavyweight grand prix this summer. “Two out of eight fighters in the tournament previously failed a drug test. Obviously, I’m talking about Josh Barnett and Antonio Silva,” Finkelstein said. “Fedor is not using any kind of substance to enhance his performance, and will be ready for any kind of testing. So if the commission decides to follow our suggestion, we’ll be ready.” [Lowkick.com]

— Dave Branch has been tapped to fill in for Alexandre “Cacareco” Ferreira in a middleweight bout against Rousimar Palhares that will take place on March 3 at UFC on Versus III. Ferreira opted to withdraw from the matchup yesterday, citing a need to cope with the loss of family and friends from the massive flooding in Brazil. [Heavy.com]

— Ryan Couture has been handed an opponent for his second professional fight at Strikeforce Challengers 14 on February 18 in the form of Lee Higgins, who sports a 2-0 record with both wins coming by way of submission. Bout agreements are expected to be signed shortly and both fighters have verbally agreed to meet. Couture was victorious in his pro debut in August, submitting Lucas Stark with a first-round triangle choke. [MMA Junkie]

— WEC and IFL veteran L.C. Davis suffered a knee injury during a recent training session and has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming bout against Jared Downing at Titan Fighting Championships 16 on January 28 in Kansas City, KS. TFC officials are said to be actively looking for a replacement. Davis was released from the WEC after a 2-3 stint in the promotion, last dropping a decision to Raphael Assuncao in November. [Sherdog.com]

— UFC light heavyweight contender Jon Jones was involved in a car accident earlier this afternoon but came away unharmed. According to Jones, he and a few teammates were taking a short break from training when they were run into by another vehicle. Jones and his party escaped without a scratch, but the driver of the other car was taken to the hospital on a stretcher. His Feb 6. matchup with Ryan Bader remains intact. [Fighters Only Magazine]

— Former UFC middleweights Patrick Cote and Gerald Harris have each signed on for their first bouts following their release. Harris announced on his Facebook page Wednesday that he will face James Head at Xtreme Fight Night on February 25 in his hometown of Tulsa, OK. Meanwhile, Cote has signed on to compete for Canadian-based Ringside MMA and will make his promotional debut against an unknown opponent this spring. [MMA Mania & MMA Weekly]

Comments

<< Back to main