Strikeforce Notebook: Diaz Unimpressed With Daley, Jacare Disinterested in Mayhem


Nick Diaz. Photo by Esther Lin/Strikeforce.

With only a few options left concerning Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz's future opponents, the Stockton, California native will now likely face Paul Daley later this year, provided Daley gets past Yuya Shirai at a BAMMA show on February 26.

Despite Daley's success around the world, including an impressive 2-1 stint in the UFC, Diaz wasn't "impressed" with his potential foe's skills.

"I'm not really impressed with Paul Daley as a mixed martial artist," Diaz said during last night's post-fight press conference for "Diaz vs. Cyborg". "He's got great stand-up, but I wouldn't judge him from the Scott Smith fight.

"I know who Scott Smith is. I'm from Stockton and he's from Elk Grove. He's never come down to train with us and never tried to get better. He does his tae bo for whatever. Then Paul Daley knocks him out and everybody is like 'Oh, look at Paul Daley.'"

Pressed for further analysis of Daley, Diaz described how he thought a meeting between them might unfold.

"I see me putting punches on him and maybe him trying to take me down too, and getting caught in a choke or something like that," Diaz said. "He could run from me and I’ll run him down. I could take him down and beat him on the ground. I can see that fight going a lot of different ways."

Jacare Wants to Avoid Mayhem Rubber Match

If it's up to Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, he and his Strikeforce middleweight title will be staying as far away from Jason "Mayhem" Miller as possible.

"Are you kidding me? I beat this guy two times," Souza exclaimed when asked about a third meeting. "No more.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker also gave a "No comment" when asked about the matchup.

Souza declined to offer any names of potential future opponents, stating that he would be pleased with whomever Strikeforce wanted to match him up with, and Coker expected to have an announcement regarding the issue in the coming weeks.

Walker Not Gunning for Championships

At 48 years of age and despite early success in the cage, former college and professional football standout Herschel Walker says he is content staying at the level of competiton he is at for the time being and has little to no interest of ever pursuing a heavyweight title.

"The only belt I'm going to get is one that I buy," Walker said. "I don't think [Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker] is ready to sell me a belt. You can't buy a belt. This is not boxing."

"My goal was just to be able to step in there and be able to compete with these guys. To be honest with you, I wanted to do one fight and then get in the gym with guys that are fighting and just train with them. It isn't like I had dreams of being a fighter. Honestly, I'm older and this is a young person's sport, but if I can bring more recognition and help people recognize this sport, then I'd love to do it because I think these guys deserve a lot more than what they're getting."

Miscellaneous Notes

Coker announced the attendance at the HP Pavilion in San, Jose CA as 9,059... Diaz was checked out and cleared by a physician after taking some damage due to heavy "Cyborg" leg kicks in the first and second rounds of their main event clash... Lawler revealed that he felt exhausted three and a half minutes into his fight against Souza. "I wanted to do things but I didn’t have the energy to do it. He had me up against the fence and I went to square my hips up and push into him but I just felt lethargic out there. Even when I got out of his armbar, it was like everything was just slow. I trained hard. I felt good last week, and I don’t know what happened."

Comments

<< Back to main