Shields Not Defending Title Against Alessio (Updated)


Jake Shields. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.

Update 6:21 PM ET: John Alessio tells MMA Junkie that he will not be ready in time to fight at EliteXC’s September 20th event due to a lack of preparation time and a continual recovery from his broken arm. “Sept. 20 is the date [EliteXC] brought up (for a bout with Shields), and that’s just too soon for my arm,” Alessio said in the report. “I had surgery on [my arm] three days after the fight (with Spratt). I had a cast on it for a little while. Now I’m out of it, and I’m back in training. But I had to take five weeks off. Getting ready for a five-round fight by Sept. 20 is too much.”

Update 4:24 PM ET: Jake Shields has told MMA Weekly that while a fight against John Alessio is on the table, he’s unsure if he will accept it because of a standing offer from another organization to fight at 185 lbs. this fall. “That fight might happen, but it’s not 100%, not finalized yet,” Shields said in the article. “Right now I have a really good offer on the table to fight a top 185-pounder. I’m just waiting, hoping EliteXC will give me that opportunity to go out there and represent [them] and test myself.”

Jake Shields will reportedly make his first defense of his newly-won EliteXC welterweight title against former UFC and WEC title challenger John Alessio at EliteXC’s “Showdown at the Pit” event on September 20th at the University of New Mexico.

The news comes from MMA Mania, who have confirmed the bout with a source close to the fight’s negotiations. The matchup was first uncovered by Five Ounces of Pain via Nokaut.com yesterday when Shields mentioned that he would be facing Alessio during a recent interview.

Shields became EliteXC’s first-ever welterweight champion after quickly submitting former BodogFight title holder Nick Thompson just over a minute into the first round of their featured bout at EliteXC’s “Unfinished Business” event on CBS last month.

Alessio reportedly inked a three-fight deal with EliteXC following his formal release from World Extreme Cagefighting late last month. The Canadian veteran suffered a broken arm during his submission win over Pete Spratt in June but it looks like the injury will likely be fully healed in time for the fight against Shields.

Comments

<< Back to main