Tim Sylvia weighs-in for UFC 77: Hostile Territory. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Update 7:00 PM: Sylvia’s blog now tells fans to tune in to HDNet’s Inside MMA tomorrow night for information related to his “big news”.
After hinting that he may opt to leave the Ultimate Fighting Championship for the greener pastures of M-1 Global last month, it seems that former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia may be set to find a new home of his own after all.
Brian Knapp of The Fight Network reports that Sylvia could announce his decision to leave the UFC tomorrow according to a source close to the decision. However the source also noted that nothing was final and that the door for Sylvia to return to the UFC is still open as of now.
The Miletich Fighting Systems product is coming off of his second straight loss in yet another bid to regain his heavyweight title. Sylvia was submitted by interim champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 81: Breaking Point in February.
A post on his official website made yesterday states that Sylvia will be making a huge announcement pertaining to his career tomorrow.
“On Friday around noon, I’ve got a couple of big announcements to make about my career,” Sylvia said in the post. “So all of my loyal fans will want to stay tuned to my website because this is huge.”
Back in February, Sylvia mentioned the fact that Brock Lesnar currently making more money than him could be a deciding factor in the Maine native switching organizations.
“I have one fight left on my contract,” Sylvia said in February. “I want to stay with the UFC but I’m going to go where the money is right now. Brock is making more money than me but that has to change. I have a better name than him and I’m the better fighter. My manager runs M-1 so I have a pretty good way of getting in there.”
Of course Monte Cox has since parted ways with M-1 Global. Could Big Tim be part of Cox’s planned June show in Chicago?