Kevin Randleman. Photo property of PRIDE FC Worldwide.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Kevin Randleman is now the newest addition to Strikeforce’s ever-growing stable of fighters.
Despite originally being invited to Saturday night’s event as a special guest, Randleman ended up leaving the show as Scott Coker’s latest heavyweight. The organization intends to put Randleman into action as soon as possible, which could mean his debut may take place at the company’s June 6 event in St. Louis.
“We’ll have an announcement soon, ” Coker said at last night’s post-fight press conference. “You’ll have to wait until next week, but we’re going to try and put him in the rotation right away. There’s going to be some great fights in the future for Kevin.”
After flourishing as one of the UFC and PRIDE’s top heavyweight stars during the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, Randleman found himself stuck in a rut. From 2003-2006, “The Monster” was defeated in seven of his nine fights.
He has since started a comeback after a 19-month hiatus from the sport, starting with a unanimous decision win over Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku’s “Second Battle” event in March of last year. Randleman is currently training at Xtreme Couture’s Las Vegas gym along with former opponent Randy Couture.
“It’s safe to say, Kevin’s back,” Coker said. “We’re happy to have him as part of the Strikeforce and Showtime family. We’re going to put him in action right away. I mean it. Right away.”
Next entry: Ortiz, “Babalu” Come Face-to-Face
Previous entry: Baron vs. Emerson Possible for UFC 101