Roger Huerta. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
— Despite announcing his intention to focus on his acting career full-time, UFC lightweight contender Roger Huerta is now considering a full-time return to the organization following a split decision loss to Gray Maynard at last week’s UFC Fight Night 19 that fulfilled his latest UFC contract. “I can’t go out with two losses in a row,” Huerts said. “I don’t think I’m going to call it quits anytime soon. I’m still open to acting. Hopefully we get something going with that, but I’m not going to prioritize acting now. I’ll still prioritize fighting. If the UFC wants me back, I’d be willing to go back.” [Sherdog.com]
— Seasoned veteran Javier Vasquez has been tapped to replace an injured Mark Hominick against Deividas Taurosevicius in a featherweight bout at WEC 43 on October 10 in San Antonio, Texas. Hominick will reportedly be sidelined for about a month due to a reoccurring back injury. Vasquez fell in his WEC debut last month, dropping a split decision to L.C. Davis at WEC 42. [MMA Junkie]
— The Nevada State Athletic Commission has decided to deny longtime MMA referee “Big” John McCarthy a license to officiate events in the state. McCarthy applied last month. NSAC executive director Keith Kizer has stated that his commission “does not anticipate adding any additional referees at this time.” UFC President Dana White is also non-committal when it comes to using McCarthy to oversee fights that take place on UFC cards overseas. [Sherdog.com]
— Tachi Palace Fights will hold its debut event on Thursday, October 8 at the Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino. Undefeated featherweight prospect Chad Mendes will meet WEC veteran Mike Joy in the show’s main event. A number of notable local fighters will compete on the card, including War Machine, Joe Soto, Phil Collins, Poppies Martinez, and Ulysses Gomez. [The Underground]
— It seems that former UFC welterweight title challenger Frank Trigg will be staying with the organization after all, at least for one more fight. UFC President Dana White had initially told the media that Trigg would likely be released from the promotion following his first-round TKO loss to Josh Koscheck this past weekend, but Trigg will now be offered at least one more additional bout on his four-fight deal. [MMA Junkie]
Next entry: Quinton Jackson Apparently Done Fighting
Previous entry: Fighters on Weight for Sengoku “Tenth Battle”