Guy Mezger, Mark Pavelich, and Mark Cuban. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship has revealed that it is nearing an agreement that would have the promotion hold their first-ever event in the United States, with a target date of April 2009 in Las Vegas.
“The resort that we are talking to has been very receptive to our plan and they have really come to [the] table to work with us to provide a wonderful facility and all the things that go into making a great show for our fans,” MFC President Mark Pavelich said last week.
“We are extremely close to getting this deal done which is something our entire organization has worked towards for more than a year now.”
MMA on Tap has learned that the resort the MFC is likely in negotiations with is the Orleans Hotel and Casino, which has invited a number of well-known promotions to hold shows in the Orleans Arena in recent years, including the International Fight League.
The MFC still has plans to hold a Canada-based schedule for next year however. Talks are ongoing with the River Cree Resort and Casino in Edmonton, which the promotion has called home for the last two years, according to Pavelich.
“We still have a great relationship with the River Cree Resort and Casino,” Pavelich said. “We have two more shows there – September 26 and November 28 – in 2008 and we are also in talks with them for a full schedule in 2009.”
“Plus we will continue to discuss having shows in other American markets,” he added. “We have talked with people in Florida, Texas and Mississippi and other places and we certainly hope that in 2009 and beyond we can find even more first-class venues to become homes for the MFC.”
Next entry: Couture Returns to UFC; Fights Lesnar in Nov.
Previous entry: UFC Planning Military Fight Night for Dec. 10