Roger Hollett. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship announced this week that they have signed light heavyweight champion Roger Hollett and longtime veteran LaVerne Clark to multi-fight contracts that will have both fighters compete for the promotion before the end of the year.
Hollett has not competed since tearing multiple ligaments in his left knee during his first professional loss to American Top Team’s Lew Polley in October of last year. “Hulk” won the vacant MFC light heavyweight title with a first-round stoppage of UFC veteran Victor Valimaki at MFC 13 last August.
“My knee is great,” Hollett said in a recent press release. “I want to get back on track and get back to where I was before the injury. I’m going to be fighting Marcus Hicks on September 20 in the ECC before I come back to the MFC but I’m looking forward to defending my title against anyone they put in front of me. I have a great relationship with the MFC. I get along really well with Mark Pavelich. They have a great organization and I was really excited to sign a new deal with them.”
A potential opponent for Hollett in his MFC return bout could be former UFC light heavyweight contender David Heath, who signed a multi-fight deal with the organization last month. While Heath has voiced his desire to fight Hollett as soon as possible, Pavelich points out that Heath could end up fighting a fellow contender for a shot at Hollett in the form of a possible future signing.
“We’re looking at adding another marquee fighter to the division who we may have fight Heath on September 26 to see which of the two will face Roger in November,” Pavelich said. “Let’s just say it will surprise a lot of people if we sign this guy.”
Clark, a veteran of the early days of the UFC, is currently riding a three-fight winning streak. He’s recently been fighting exclusively out of the Courage Fighting Championships where he last scored a first-round TKO of Matt Kelly in June. Clark’s MFC debut won’t be an easy one as the promotion has already matched up him against rising welterweight prospect Ryan Ford at MFC 18: Famous on September 26th.
“Call me ‘experienced’, don’t call me a ‘veteran’,” Clark said in a press release sent out Tuesday. “When people call someone a veteran it means they’re old and at the end of their career. I’m not old and I’m far from being at the end of my career. I’m getting ready to fight Ford and if I lose people are going to say I’m passing the torch to him. I’m not passing my torch to anyone – I’m just relighting it. This is my comeback.”
“I’m going to win the MFC belt and get back on track,” Clark continued. I have three fights with them to showcase what I’m capable of and that’s what I’m going to do. I’ve been working hard and now is my time to get rewarded. I fought a lot of big name fighters in my career but for years I just relied on my natural talent and strength. Now I have actual skills from training with guys like Pat Miletich and Matt Hughes for years, so I’m a lot better than I was back then.”
Next entry: MMA Live Episode Fourteen
Previous entry: Shields Not Defending Title Against Alessio (Updated)