Today the IFL held a national media conference call promoting their upcoming IFL: Semifinals show which is scheduled for August 2nd at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.
Present for the conference call was Kurt Otto, Pat Miletich, and Shawn Tompkins.
Summary of the conference:
• Next Wednesday the IFL will be announcing who will be competing in the Grand Prix. It will consist of the top four guys in each weight class and they will be competing for a belt. The IFL also plans on revealing the belt next Wednesday.
• The Grand Prix will consist of two different events and they are still currently trying to finalize where the two shows will be. They hop to have it finalized by Wednesday.
• When asked if the IFL has considered streaming upcoming shows on the internet or PPV, Otto said, “The IFL has always promised free MMA and at this point we feel that in order for us to do a pay-per-view we better have a very good reason to do it or offer something a little bit different then we already offer now in order to justify doing a pay-per-view.”
• Chris Horodecki and Jay Heiron are off the card because of injuries. Horodecki suffered a broken in his fight with Shad Lierley and replacing him will be Adam Disabato. Heiron’s injury was a recent one which occurred while he was grappling. His replacement will be TKO veteran Chris Clements.
• Ryan McGivern will not be fighting August 2nd due to a personal commitment. Miletich said “Ryan McGivern’s injuries stem from basically having to get married.” The wedding was already planned and paid for so McGivern had to bow out but he gave Miletich plenty of notice. Miletich wanted to replace McGivern with Lawler but was unable to as Lawler suffered a shoulder injury while helping Matt Hughes on TUF.
• When asked about how he feels to have Rory Markham back, Miletich said, “It obviously helps, he is one of our A guys. Rory’s fire and passion for fighting definitely is contagious so it’s definitely going to make a difference as it always has. Win or Lose, Rory goes out and people stand on their feet. That’s just the way he does things. It’s pretty amazing and rare when you find guys like that - a Horodecki, a Markham. Guys who will just go out and unleash and throw down with people because that’s what they love to do - they have a warriors heart, they’re not afraid to get hit, they’re not afraid to trade and throw bombs so you know that sort of mentality is contagious when you have guys like that, that fight in the manor, mentality and warrior spirit that they do.”
•Gerald Harris will be joining the Silverbacks to face Benji Radach.
• The IFL still pays injured fighters for training and preparing for fights but they don’t get individual/team win bonuses.
• The preliminary bouts will feature Mike Dolce vs. Nissim Levy and Dante Rivera vs. Lyman Good.
• Otto stated that there was a good possibility that Chris Horodecki and Bart Palaszewski would meet in the Grand Prix.
Next entry: Confessions of a Pit Fighter Trailer
Previous entry: Mir Returns Against Hardonk at UFC 74