Wanderlei Silva. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Here’s a little mix of news and notes that we missed over the past few days…
Jackson-Silva III Likely for UFC 91
Amidst lingering rumors that the two were set to rematch later this year, it seems that former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will reportedly indeed take on longtime PRIDE middleweight title holder Wanderlei Silva at UFC 91 on November 15 according to MMA Junkie.
Sources within the Wolfslair camp, which Jackson recently joined after parting ways with trainer Juanito Ibarra, have said that Jackson has agreed to the fight and has already begun training. Attempts to contact Wolfslair co-owner Anthony McGann for confirmation by MMA on Tap were unsuccessful.
Jackson and Silva have fought on two separate occasions and Silva was victorious in both fighters. Silva stopped Jackson with strikes in the first round of their original meeting at PRIDE Final Conflict 2003 and then scored a second-round knockout of him at PRIDE 28 four years ago.
Prangley Tapped to Face Ruiz at Strikeforce on Sept 20
Former BodogFight middleweight title holder Trevor Prangley will step in as a replacement opponent for Anthony Ruiz on the main card of Strikeforce’s upcoming event at the Playboy Mansion on September 20.
Prangley replaces former UFC light heavyweight title challenger Renato “Babalu” Sobral, who suffered a leg injury during a recent training session. Ruiz is actually serving as a replacement for reigning Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth, who partially tore his ACL a couple of weeks ago.
Melvin Guillard Arrested
Former “Ultimate Fighter” cast member Melvin Guillard was arrested on August 13 in Houston, Texas after violating probation on a possession of a controlled substance charge stemming from last year according to Sherdog.com.
The arrest was likely the reason why Guillard was removed from his scheduled bout against Spencer Fisher at UFC 90 next month. Guillard remains in custody at the Harris County Jail in Houston and will be released and sent to a drug treatment facility in the near future. Exact details concerning his probation violation are unknown at this time.
Report: Torres to Return at December WEC
Reigning WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres has revealed that he will return to action on World Extreme Cagefighting’s planned December 3 card where he will most likely face Manny Tapia according to MMA Weekly. Torres and Tapia were scheduled to meet at WEC 34 in June before Tapia was forced to bow out with an injury.
“I fight Dec. 3. I don’t know who I’m going to fight yet, but I’m going to fight whoever they bring to me,” Torres said in the report. “I don’t know the venue. I think it might be in Vegas. They have a long list of guys for me to fight, but I think the guy next in line is going to be Manny Tapia. I think him first and then after that, whoever.”
Bosse-Evans Signed for TKO 35
TKO Championship Fighting has announced that popular hockey enforcer turned mixed martial artist Steve Bosse will take on Lance Evans, the younger brother of current UFC light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans, and a cast member on the upcoming season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, at TKO 35 on October 3.
Additional bouts recently announced by the promotion include a pair of preliminary fights featuring Peter Nolan vs. Brad Gabriel and Rejean Groulx vs. Greg Carpenter
Report: Dollaway-Rivera Possible at UFC 92
C.B. Dollaway, the runner-up in the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter” will reportedly return to action at UFC 92 in December and could possibly take on longtime veteran Jorge Rivera at the event according to MMA Junkie.
The fight has not yet been signed. Dollaway picked up his first UFC win with an impressive submission of Jesse Taylor at UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19. Rivera, who has not fought since the death of his oldest daughter last month, most recently fell to Martin Kampmann via submission at UFC 85.
Aoki-Moore Finalizes DREAM.6 Card
Grappling wizard Shinya Aoki has been added to the upcoming DREAM.6 card, which will take place on September 23 at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. Aoki will take on World Extreme Cagefighting veteran Todd Moore, who was released from the promotion after losing consecutive fights.
Aoki was the favorite to win DREAM’s inaugural lightweight grand prix earlier this summer but was defeated in the finals by Joachim Hansen, who Aoki submitted in their first fight two years ago.
Report: Herman-Schall to Headline ShoXC on Oct 10
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Dave Herman will reportedly take on former “Ultimate Fighter” contestant Kerry Schall in a bout that will headline the next edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series on October 10 according to Five Ounces of Pain. Both EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw and Herman’s manager, Mike Camp, have confirmed the bout.
Next entry: UFC Fight Night 15 Weigh-In Results
Previous entry: Loiseau Defeats Hutcherson at XMMA 5