Evening News and Notes - Oct 9, 2008


Quinton Jackson. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

— Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s pre-trial hearing, which was scheduled to take place today in California, has been postponed until Oct. 24 due to the Orange County chief prosecutor being unable to make it to today’s proceedings. In addition, a preliminary examination (when the prosecution presents the evidence to the jury) scheduled for Nov. 30 has been postponed to a later date. Jackson is facing two felonies and four misdemeanors following his high-speed chase with Costa Mesa on July 15. He has pleaded not guilty. If convicted, Jackson could face up to three years in prison.

— After undergoing successful surgery to repair a partially torn ACL, Renato “Babalu” Sobral will once again to attempt to challenge Bobby Southworth for his Strikeforce light heavyweight title at a planned November 21 event in San Jose, California according to what Sobral’s manager, Richard Wilner, told our friends at MMA Junkie. Sobral and Southworth were originally slated to meet at “Strikeforce at the Mansion II” in September before both fighters were forced to withdraw from the bout due to separate knee injuries. The November show is also expected to feature Josh Thomson making the first defense of his Strikeforce lightweight title as well.

— According to Dave Meltzer’s latest print of edition of Wrestling Observer, ticket sales for UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar, which is supposed to be the biggest event in UFC history in terms of pay-per-view buys and the live gate, are going good but not that good. Meltzer says that tickets should have been sold out the first weekend, but a combination of raised prices and a bad economy may have contributed to a slow start. 8,000 tickets have been sold thus far and the only seats left are costing people $500 and up. Local casinos have also purchased bunches of tickets that don’t contribute to the number as well but there are still a good amount left that people likely can’t afford.

— Former professional wrestler turned mixed martial artist Bobby Lashley has signed on with Florida-based American Top Team according to an announcement on the team’s official website. Lashley is said to have began training with ATT last week. Although his professional debut was expected to take place at some point this year, the American Fight League, which Lashley signed a multi-fight deal with in the spring, postponed a planned pay-per-view event for November until early next year, fueling speculation that the organization may not have the resources to even hold an event due to the outrageous contracts they have been signing fights to in recent months.

Comments

<< Back to main