Demetrious Johnson retains flyweight title in razor-close UFC on FOX 6 main event

Demetrious Johnson. Photo courtesy of Canoe Sun Media.

Demetrious Johnson successfully defended his UFC flyweight title on Saturday night, but took all he could handle from prepared challenger John Dodson in the main event of Saturday night's UFC on FOX 6.

The 16,091 in attendance at United Center in Chicago witnessed Dodson drop the champ thrice within the first two rounds, only for Johnson to storm back with a relentless attack in the later rounds.

"I got dazed a little bit," Johnson said after the fight. "It's going to happen. It's like swimming, you're gonna get splashed. I'm going to get hit."

Even though Dodson dropped Johnson with a right hand in the first round, Johnson was also able to control the fight along the fence and even scored a takedown after recovering. The champion was more seriously hurt in the second round, left stumbling after a series of left hands had him momentarily on the ground twice.

Dodson continued to dish out punishment going into the third round, but Johnson began to turn the tide with a timely takedown and some knees in the clinch during the closing minute. Johnson found more success with his knees in the clinch in the fourth and final rounds, finishing out the figh with Dodson battered and bloody.

In the end, the judges handed it to Johnson, by scores of 8-47, 49-46 and 48-47.

Teixeira routs Rampage

Glover Texeira picked up the biggest win of his career and made even further progress to a light heavyweight title shot, shutting out former champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in the final fight on Jackson's UFC contract.

Hoping to avenge a loss that teammate Chuck Liddell suffered to Jackson some years ago, the Brazilian kept "Rampage" on the defensive throughout the fight, outlanding the PRIDE veteran and dominating on the ground with superior positioning.

Texeira took the opening round with an early takedown followed by non-stop pressure. Jackson landed his fair share of leg kicks and punches in the first five minutes, but was dropped by Teixeira and spent the last minute and a half reeling along the fence.

The Brazilian took Jackson to the canvas again at the start of the second. "Rampage" returned to his feet and tried to start a comeback with a series of uppercuts, but Texeira cut and staggered Rampage with a barrage of his own uppercuts for the remainder of the round.

A visibly exhausted Jackson fought valiantly until the end, but didn't have much left in the tank as Teixeira mounted and battered Jackson throughout the final round, earning a unanimous decision from the cageside judges.

Addtional main card action

Anthony Pettis shocked many with a first round stoppage of rival Donald Cerrone courtesy of a kick to the body and a pair of right hands after Cerrone was sent to the canvas. It marks the first time that "Cowboy" had been stopped on strikes as well as Pettis' first win since a KO of Joe Lauzon nearly a year ago.

With the win, Pettis is now in line for a UFC lightweight title shot against the winner of Ben Henderson's latest defense against Strikeforce lightweight king Gilbert Melendez.

Ricardo Lamas also continues his ascent up the UFC featherweight ladder with a vicious TKO of Erik Koch in the second round of their pivotal featherweight matchup. 

Fighting for the first time in 16 months, Koch stayed right with Lamas in the opening frame, with each fighter exchanging blows in a tight first five minutes. Lamas put Koch on his back in the second and never let up, opening a big cut underneath Koch's left eye with a huge elbow and forcing referee John McCarthy to step in after Koch was unable to defend Lamas' elbows anymore.


<< Back to main