B.J. Penn, Dana White, and Georges St. Pierre. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The much-anticipated rematch between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn has been moved to UFC 93 on January 31 in Las Vegas according to UFC President Dana White.
White revealed the change to Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports earlier today. The fight was originally planned for UFC 92 on December 27 but St. Pierre has opted to take the rest of the year off because of the exhaustive schedule he has maintained - fighting four times in the last twelve months.
Unfortunately, the UFC was unable to secure the Bell Centre in Montreal for an event. The NHL’s Montreal Canadiens occupy just about every Saturday night on the arena’s schedule.
White also confirmed details concerning the UFC’s inaugural venture into Portland, Oregon, where UFC 91 will be held on November 15 at the Rose Garden. A previously rumored bout between lightweight contenders Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson has been confirmed for that card.
UFC officials will now gather next week to decide the remaining matchups for the three shows following UFC 90 in October.
“We have nothing but big fights left for the rest of the year, but this is so crazy because there are so many of them,” White said in the reprot. “We’re going to have a retreat on Monday to figure this all out.”
White also commented on the status of former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva, who was expected to be featured in one of the main card bouts at UFC 92 in December, but will now likely be moved to a different event.
“He might not be on that card, though,” White said when asked about Silva’s participation. “But I really don’t know for sure now. But I’m thinking he’s not going to be on that at this point.”