Touch of gloves to Ryan at Fightlinker for the picture idea.
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated…
- According to John Hackleman at least, Liddell is already back in the gym and planning for a return to the Octagon in December if possible:
If Chuck Liddell is contemplating retirement, his trainer and closest confidante John Hackleman is the last to hear about it.
“He’s already said he’ll be back in the gym next Monday,” said Hackleman, who has coached Liddell for 16 years. “He’s going to fight again, hopefully as soon as possible, maybe in December. We’re looking at ‘Shogun.’”
- Stash Capar of The Fight Network wrote an excellent piece yesterday detailing Joachim “Hellboy” Hansen’s decision to sit out the remainder of his current contract with Zuffa, that’s right I said Zuffa. Why? The parent company of the UFC refuses to pay him the same amount of money that he made in PRIDE:
Most mixed martial arts fighters dream of scoring a contract to fight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, sometimes top ten lightweight Joachim “Hellboy” Hansen wants nothing more than to get out of his. The well-rounded Norwegian, the first man to beat PRIDE Fighting Championships Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi, attended last Saturday’s Cage Rage 23 at London’s Wembley Arena to meet with Pro Elite’s Live Events president Gary Shaw, presumably to explore his options with the organization.
“I just want to fight and make enough so that I can live decently,” says Hansen. “The UFC gave me an offer in the summer, a fight with Marcus Aurelio (14-5-0). But they only wanted to pay me half the money that I was making in PRIDE. How can you say my contract is transferable, and then only offer me half of what I normally make?”
Instead of accepting the offer, Hansen says he’s opted to wait out his contract with the three months left till its completion.
- Michael Bisping has announced that his potential rematch with Matt Hamill, which was apparently scheduled for UFC 78 in November, has been postponed as Hamill is undergoing knee surgery:
The rematch between Hamill and I was being planned for Nov 27 in New Jersey. Unfortunately Hamill is unable to fight as he is having knee surgery. I am disapointed as I was really looking forward to fighting him again. That said, myself having a torn ligament in each of my knees for my last 3 fights, I can understand why he’s having it.
- IFL website editor Ben Fowlkes has joined Sam Caplan and Adam Morgan at Five Ounces of Pain.
Fightlinker: The Low Blow Episode 17
Radio Shows -
Wrestling Observer: The Truth about PRIDE and UFC
Sherdog: Sherdog’s Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings
MMA Weekly: London Calling - The Next Step Forward
Fightlinker: Birthday Reminder: Loretta Hunt
Bloody Elbow: Kevin Iole
Sports Illustrated: Five observations
Fight Opinion: Tuesday turmoil: Mainstream media questions if Liddell was all hype and no substance
UFC: Surveying the Lay of the 205-lb Land; Jardine, Evans Poised for a Run – Lay of the 205-lb Land - Part II
FOX Sports: UFC upsets opened numerous possibilities