News and Notes
- Be sure to check back later tonight when we go live at 8 PM EST with our live blog for UFC 77: Hostile Territory.
- If you haven’t already, make sure you cast your vote on our latest Rock the Vote: Sylvia or Vera?
- MMA Weekly has former UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Newton facing Dong Sik Yoon at K-1 Hero’s 11 on October 28th while my notes have him taking on Shungo Oyama. I’ll try and figure that one out.
- Marco Antico of MMA Weekly is also reporting the following matchups for TKO 31 in December:
Jesse Bongfeldt vs T.J. Grant for the TKO Welterweight Title
Chris Clements vs Stephane Dube
Mark Hominick is currently in talks to face Justin Tavernini
Steve Bosse is set to headline the card in the main event
- Ken Shamrock is holding open tryouts for anyone interested in being a member of the IFL’s Nevada Lions or joining his Lion’s Den gym. Tryouts will be held at The Stadium Sport and Fitness Club in Reno, Nevada. They will consist of several drills and sparring in the various MMA disciplines. For further information, contact Lance Foreman at 530-252-8071 or email at email@example.com.
- Pancrase has announced that it will adjust it’s weight divisions to fall in line with those currently designated by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
- FEG apparently does not see World Victory Road, Japan’s newest MMA organization, as a potential enemy:
“As for the Japanese MMA market, fans have been dwindling since the loss of PRIDE. No part of me sees this new organization as an enemy, and I would like to find places in which we can cooperate,” said FEG Representative Director Sadaharu Tanigawa.
- Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz has been cast in the new celebrity version of “The Apprentice” on NBC. Ortiz’s fellow cast mates potentially include Omarosa, John Cena, Lennox Lewis, Stephen Baldwin, Gene Simmons, Carol Alt, Vinny Pastore, and Marilu Henner according to TMZ.
- The Fight Network is reporting that representatives from HDNet Fights have confirmed that the promotion is planning to hold it’s second event on December 15th at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.