I’d love to have the Octagon mat from UFC 30 in my backyard too. Check out this cat’s collection of stuff.
News and Notes
- Despite various reports that were made over the weekend, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza has not signed a contract with the UFC according to Sherdog:
“I have not signed with Zuffa, unlike what people have said on the Internet,” Souza said after his fight. “I was close to signing and fighting in WEC, but nothing is settled right now.”
- The California State Athletic Commission released the drug test results of 6 of the 18 fighters that were tested after UFC 76. Christian Wellisch, Scott Junk, Matt Wiman, Jeremy Stephens, Diego Saraiva, and Michihiro Omigawa all passed. The results of the other 12 fighters are expected to be released at some point this week.
- It seems that Shaq has been using MMA to prepare for the upcoming NBA season:
At seven foot one, Shaquille O’Neal is an intimidating enough opponent on the basketball court but the Miami Heat center has been testing his athleticism in one of the most violent of sports, Ultimate Fighting. Questioned on Monday how he had spent his time during the NBA off-season, O’Neal said he had been in the caged ring taking on challengers in the combination of boxing, martial arts and wrestling.
“I’ve been doing a lot of fighting, a lot of swimming, a lot of hunting and a lot of school work and a lot of reading,” O’Neal told reporters at the Heat’s pre-training camp media day.
Asked what he meant by fighting, O’Neal said: “UFC fighting, Ultimate Fighting, yeah, I’m serious. Every day. You have headgear and so on, it is basically like boxing with wrestling rules. I’m a fan of the sport. I started doing it and then some guys challenged me,” added O’Neal who is reported to earn around $20 million a year with the Heat.
Touch of gloves to Fight Opinion for the find.
- Sam Caplan has announced that he has been hired as the new lead writer and editor of ProElite.com. Congrats Sam.
- UFC Daily has added three new writers to it’s staff.
Next entry: Report: Belfort-Lawler Title Fight Proposed
Previous entry: Steve Bossé Impresses at TKO 30