News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated…
- UFC Daily has a nice recap of yesterday’s UFC 77 conference call.
- Tito Ortiz sent out an official release yesterday stating that his next fight in the Octagon will come early next year:
As always, it’s been great to hear from so many fans who are eager to know about my next match. Right now I am totally focused on training. I have always had a reputation for being the best prepared fighter in any match I’ve ever entered, and I intend to maintain that reputation. I’m currently working very closely with the UFC to plan my next fight, which you can be sure will not disappoint my fans. It looks like I will fight again in early 2008, and when I do I will be 100% prepared to crush my opponent.
- Kazuhiro Nakamura’s appeal against the CSAC’s claim that he tested positive for marijuana will be heard on October 31st, the same day that UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk’s appeal for a positive steroids test will be heard as well.
- Pro Elite announced plans for a new reality show in conjunction with famed reality show producer Mark Burnett yesterday:
The untitled initial reality series will focus on former professional athletes Jose Canseco and Herschel Walker, who will lead undisclosed sports stars to train mixed martial arts. The “team” of former greats will do battle with EliteXC talent, with the show’s finale touting a “famous celebrity athlete match up.”
- Jordan Breen has more on the new Japanese MMA organization set to debut itself on October 15th:
After six months of anxiety, vacancy and speculation ... your “new PRIDE” may be here.
A new mixed martial arts company named World Victory Road Inc., issued a notice Thursday of a news conference at Tokyo’s Prince Hotel on Oct. 15. The contact information on the release listed a cell phone number belonging to an employee of J-ROCK, the promotional group housing Hidehiko Yoshida and his stable of fighters.
Most importantly a source revealed that the company will use former Olympic gold medal judoka and Japanese superstar Hidehiko Yoshida as its main draw and that prized free agent Takanori Gomi is likely to join the company as well.
The company is reportedly aiming for February 2008 for its first event, which may be confirmed at the Oct. 15 news conference.
Luke Thomas gives his take on the Couture situation with Steve Cofield
Next entry: Joe Rogan Provides Thoughts on Couture Situation
Previous entry: DEEP: 32nd Impact Results