Afternoon Notes: Mir-Lesnar II News, Goulet-McCrory Proposed & More


Frank Mir. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

- A planned middleweight title fight between Anderson Silva and Thales Leites might not be the only championship bout at UFC 97. Fighters Only Magazine is quoting UFC President Dana White as saying that the heavyweight title unification rematch between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir could take place in April, which is when the UFC plans to return to Montreal, Quebec, Canada for the second time in the last two years. “Mir took little damage in his fight with Nog, and Lesnar wants to fight him soon, so April may be the time and place for that,” White said.

- Canadian welterweight Jonathan Goulet has told Sherdog.com that he has been offered a fight against Tamdan McCrory for April’s UFC 97 event also, but will be unable to accept the bout until Thursday at the earliest due to medical clearance needed to begin training again after injuring his right knee in his recent loss to Mike Swick at the UFC’s “Fight for the Troops” event in December. McCrory is coming off a loss as well - He fell to Dustin Hazelett via submission at UFC 91. Keep in mind thought that the UFC has yet to secure a date at the Bell Centre because of the Montreal Canadiens’ pending playoff schedule.

- Phil Baroni is quickly attemping to line up fights for what is hopefully expected to be a successful year for the “New York Bad Ass”. XMMA announced yesterday that the organization has signed Baroni to fight rising prospect Guillaume Delorenzi, however after talking to Baroni’s agent, Ken Pavia, MMA on Tap has learned that the bout has not yet been agreed upon. Baroni is also in talks to headline a yet-to-be-announced Ring of Combat show in New Jersey in April.

- After opting to be left off of Affliction Entertainment’s “Day of Reckoning” event on January 24, former three-time UFC heavyweight title challenger Pedro Rizzo is hoping to return to action in February, where he could compete on an M-1 promoted fight card. “I spoke with Tom Atencio to see if he puts me to fight at M1, that will happen in February,” Rizzo told Tatame.com. “I think it’ll happen, it’s not closed yet, but there’s the possibility of [a] fight.”

- The UFC will resume its quest to have mixed martial arts regulated in the state of New York when a session on the matter begins tomorrow in Albany. A bill was shot down by the state’s Assembly Committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development last year over concerns of the sport’s brutality, but new optimism has arisen since the New York State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the sport, is now headed by Melvina Lathan, a fan of MMA.

Comments

<< Back to main