Xavier Foupa-Pokam

The Daily Recap: Price Demands, Hendricks Staying Put & More

Georges St. Pierre. Photo property of UFC/Zuffa LLC.

Last week on MMA Fighting’s “The MMA Beat”, Mike Straka stated that he's heard through sources that Georges St. Pierre is requesting $50 million to fight Anderson Silva. Straka said, “I was told by somebody very close to Georges that Georges today makes close to $8 million a fight. So to fight Anderson Silva he’s going to ask for $50 million.”

St. Pierre, who is currently in Paris, France, joined 98.5 FM Sports and shot down the report saying it was not true.

Johny Hendricks recently told MMA Junkie Radio that he has no intentions of risking his status as the number one contender for the UFC welterweight title. Hendricks said, “I’m not going to fight unless it’s for a belt. Nothing else matters but the belt.”

It’ll be interesting to see how the UFC handles the current welterweight title picture. Will it be the lesser known yet more deserving Hendricks or the outspoken and brash Nick Diaz?

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Price Demands, Hendricks Staying Put & More"

Report: Kang to Face Foupa-Pokam at UFC 97


Denis Kang. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Former PRIDE welterweight grand-prix runner-up Denis Kang will look for his first UFC win in his next fight, which will reportedly be against newcomer Xavier Foupa-Pokam at UFC 97,  which takes place on April 18 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada according to MMA Weekly.

Kang, who was signed by the UFC late last year, made his much-anticipated promotional debut against Alan Belcher at UFC 93 earlier this month, but ended up falling to “The Talent” via second-round submission. The loss was Kang’s third in his last five fights.

“Professor X” comes to the UFC after spending the majority of his career fighting in England’s Cage Rage circuit. The Muay-Thai specialist last competed at PFC 12 last weekend, where he stopped veteran Kyacey Uscola in the first round with a flying knee to the body.

UFC Veterans Fill CFC’s Latest Card


Jeff Monson weighs-in for UFC 65: Bad Intentions. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Florida-based Combat Fighting Championships will be making it’s overseas debut on May 17th as the organization will hold a show at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle, England filled with veterans that have competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and PRIDE.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez will tangle with American Top Team’s Jeff Monson in the main event.

Rodriguez is coming off of a tough split decision loss to Antonio Silva at EliteXC Street Certified last month. Monson last won a decision over Hakim Goram in December and is tenatively scheduled to take on Kevin Randleman at a Global Fighting Championships show in June.

The co-main event will feature a clash between former UFC middleweights David Loiseau and Terry Martin. While Loiseau has struggled ever since he was released by the promotion, Martin’s apparent departure from the company comes after he suffered his second straight loss at the hands of Marvin Eastman last month.

Melvin Guillard, who is currently on a hiatus from the UFC, being permitted to fight in smaller shows before returning to the promotion, is advertised as going up against Cage Rage veteran Jean Silva.

Travis Wiuff is also slated to take on Cyrille Diabate in a bout that was originally scheduled to take place in at IFO: Fireworks in the Cage IV on December 28th. Diabate was forced to pull out of his bout against Wiuff after suffering a broken ankle during training.

Brad Imes, Dan Hardy, Xavier Foupa-Pokam, Melvin Manhoef, and Mark Weir are all also expected to be in action.

You can also view the current fight card at the organization’s official website.

Touch of gloves to reader “Goose” for the assist.