Fedor Emelianenko. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com.
Perennial heavyweight king Fedor Emelianenko has reportedly signed a contract extension with Affliction Entertainment, who are looking to have Emelianenko defend his WAMMA heavyweight title at the organization’s planned third event in either January of February according to MMA News.
“We’ve just extended our deal with Fedor and we are very happy about that,” Affliction VP Tom Atencio told the website. “We are looking at the Arlovski/Barnett elimination fight right now with the winner fighting Fedor for sure in January or February.”
Atencio also stated that although Emelianenko currently plans on fighting in Japan for his annual bout on New Year’s Eve, nothing is official in that regard.
Tim Sylvia. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Jerome LeBanner has been chasing Tim Sylvia for years, trying to get him to fight. He might be getting his wish.
Affliction VP Tom Atencio has told MMANews.com that the promotion is looking at LeBanner, a K-1 kickboxer, as a potential opponent for Sylvia for their planned third show that would likely take place in either January or February of next year.
“In terms of fighters we are looking at Jerome LeBanner,” Atencio said. “He is interested in doing MMA and apparently him and Tim Sylvia have some history between them so that is something that we are looking at right now. We are taking things one step at a time but we will see where it all goes.”
Another K-1 promoted fighter Atencio and company are apparently looking at is former PRIDE standout Sergei Kharitonov, whom Atencio “loves” from his days fighting in Japan.
Photo courtesy of TitoOrtiz.com.
One week after former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz prematurely told the media that he had signed with Affliction Entertainment, organizational heads Tom Atencio and Michael Cohen have both confirmed that they are actively in negotiations with the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy”.
Ortiz told Sports Illustrated last week that he was set to sign a “ground-breaking” contract with the popular California clothing company turned MMA promotion and that the deal would have him become part of the company’s management team. However at a press conference announcing their October 11th “Day of Reckoning” event the next day, Atencio stated that he and his team had not even been in contact with Ortiz.
Even though the two sides are now officially talking, the chances of Ortiz competing at the show in Las Vegas this fall remain slim.
Tito Ortiz was nowhere to be found at today’s Affliction press conference in Las Vegas, fueling speculation that may not have signed with the promotion after all. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Affliction Entertainment held a press conference earlier this afternoon at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas to confirm a quartet of fights and reveal broadcast details for the promotion’s scheduled “Day of Reckoning” event, which will take place on October 11th at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV.
Among the bouts officially announced today by Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio included two previously reported bouts: a rematch between IFL light heavyweight champion Vladimir Matyushenko and longtime divisional contender Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and a middleweight contest between former UFC standouts Vitor Belfort and Matt Lindland.
Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
The California State Athletic Commission has released attendance figures and salaries from Saturday night’s EliteXC show.
First, the salaries:
Robbie Lawler: $90,000 ($45,000 + $45,000 win)
Scott Smith: $14,000
Jake Shields: $45,000 ($35,000 + $10,000 win)
Nick Thompson: $25,000
Antonio Silva: $200,000 ($100,000 + $100,000 win)
Justin Eilers: $20,000
Nick Diaz: $60,000
Thomas Denny: $8,500
Shayna Baszler: $8,000
Cristiane Cyborg: $6,000 ($3,000 + $3,000 win)
Rafael Feijao: $20,000 ($10,000 + $10,000 win)
Travis Galbraith: $5,000
Wilson Reis: $5,000 ($2,500 + $2,500 win)
Bryan Caraway: $2,000
Mike Cook: $2,000
Carl Seumanutafa: $4,000 ($2,000 + $2,000 win)
Brandon Tarn: $2,000
Drew Montgomery: $3,000 ($1,500 + $1,500 win)
David Douglas: $4,000 ($2,500 + $1,500 win)
Marlon Mathias: $2,500
Jeremy Freitag: $2,500
Anthony Ruiz: $5,001 ($2,001 + $3,000 win)
How they did at the gate:
Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
Affliction caused quite a stir earlier this month when right after their successful debut into the world of MMA with “Banned”, VP Tom Atencio immediately started discussing plans for a second show later this year. News floated around and eventually it was reported that the promotion would hold a show right in the UFC’s backyard, even using one of their former champions in the main event.
However those clamoring to see Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski duke it out for WAMMA’s “title”, (that would be all of us) may now have to wait a little bit longer for that to happen, and for more than one reason.
It’s not that alarming but the California State Athletic Commission released the official list of medical suspensions from Affliction’s July 19th event earlier today. Normally it would just be protocol to list out the suspensions and their length. However two of the the second planned show’s biggest draws may be unable to participate.
Renato “Babalu” Sobral. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Right after his win over Mike Whitehead at Affliction’s inaugural show earlier this month, Renato “Babalu” Sobral called out Tito Ortiz, who is currently in the midst of his divorce from Dana White and the UFC. Sobral says that fighting Ortiz would be a dream fulfilled. Maybe this dream is a tad weird but we’ll let that slide for now.
Anyway, Steve Cofield reports that Ortiz-Sobral will happen at Affliction’s next show in October, serving as the co-main event. Tom Atencio won’t confirm it but did mention that details concerning the next show’s fight card will be revealed at a press conference on August 6th. According to Ortiz, his non-compete clause with the UFC expires on August 4th.
That technically gives Atencio only two days to talk money with Ortiz but let’s not pretend to be naive here, it’s probably already happened and is a common practice. Let’s just hope that the UFC doesn’t decide to go after Tito because of the rumors because I’m sure paperwork hasn’t been signed yet. With Ortiz’s buddy Donald Trump already connected with Affliction, it’s more than likely that he’ll choose them over EliteXC and Strikeforce, the two other major players that have reportedly been gunning for him lately.
In the end, it’s all going to come down to the big bucks, which the UFC isn’t willing to pay Ortiz any longer because of his recent lackluster performances. He’s a proven PPV draw, just look at the numbers. If Affliction is willing to pay Tim Sylvia $800,000, how much are they willing to shell out for Tito’s services?
Fedor Emelianenko. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com.
Fedor Emelianenko will reportedly defend his newly won World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight championship against former UFC title holder Andrei Arlovski at Affliction Entertainment’s next planned show on October 11th in Las Vegas.
The news comes from Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports, who has confirmed the bout, date, and location with Thomas & Mack Center director Daren Libonati, who has also stated that he expects a formal announcement concerning the event to come later this week.
Affliction VP Tom Atencio recently stated that he was targeting November 8th as the next date for an Affliction show. However rumored concerns involving Emelianenko and his desire to compete for Japan-based DREAM on New Year’s Eve may have forced Atencio’s hand. He reportedly would not “confirm nor rule out” the reported new date when contacted for comment earlier today.
Emelianenko, widely regarded as the sport’s top heavyweight, only needed 30 seconds to knock down and submit former UFC champion Tim Sylvia in Affliction’s “Banned” main event. Arlovski was victorious at the show as well, scoring a third-round knockout of IFL standout Ben Rothwell. Atencio confirmed earlier this week that along with Emelianenko and Arlovski, fellow heavyweights Paul Buentello and Josh Barnett would also be competing at the promotion’s next event as well.
Snapshot courtesy of AfflictionBanned.com
Those who claimed that this past weekend’s MMA brand war was completely won by the veteran Ultimate Fighting Championship may want to dive a little bit deeper into the big scheme of things. Unlike it’s unsuccessful predecessors that attempted to get “big” fast with star-filled events, (WFA, Hardcore Championship Fighting, IFO) it seems that Affliction might not be going back to strictly making clothing just yet.
David took a glance yesterday at the amount of success the event generated because of Saturday night. From the near sold-out arena to the fights themselves, the majority of critics have had very little to say in terms of negativity. However in the long run, it comes down to the almighty dollar. As long as Affliction makes enough money to stay afloat, they’ll continue to put on events. (Affliction VP Tom Atencio has already discussed a planned November show)
Tom Atencio. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
With a mildly successful debut this past weekend, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio has confirmed that his newly formed promotion will most likely hold their next show in early November; an official date and location has yet to be confirmed.
“When? The beginning of November,” Atencio said when asked about details concerning Affliction’s next show by our friends at MMA Junkie. “Where? We haven’t finalized that yet. We’re still looking at a couple different locations.”
Atencio also confirmed that many of the fighters that were victorious on Saturday night in California will also be part of the next show. Fighters that were mentioned included Paul Buentello, Josh Barnett, Andrei Arlovski, and of course, Fedor Emelianenko. The status of Aleksander, Fedor’s younger brother, remains in doubt after he was pulled from the card at the last minute by the CSAC. While an official reason has not yet been given, rumors have been circulating that he may have contracted Hepatitis B.
The most interesting news comes from a source close to the organization who has told MMA Junkie that the show will likely take place on November 8th. As far as a possible location goes, Atlantic City, NJ, the unofficial home of Affliction supporter Donald Trump, is said to be one of the rumored choices.