Icon Sport, the premier MMA promoter in the state of Hawaii, has cancelled their upcoming Fearless show, scheduled for this weekend December 15th. “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler was slated for the main event against Kala Kolohe Hose, but pulled out due to a pretty severe shoulder injury. When no replacement was found for Lawler, Icon Sport cancelled the whole event.
Personally, I think its pretty sad that they had to cancel the whole event over the loss of one fighter just 5 days before the event was slated to happen. There were 14 other fights featuring mainly local talent scheduled for the event. Obviously, it bad luck that they lost their main attraction in Lawler, but they should have made due somehow. If you have to offer partial refund, reduced priced tickets, or whatever, Icon should have done this. Telling 29 fighters just 5 days before their fight that its off is garbage. For an organization that’s affiliated with EliteXC, that’s unacceptable. Its hard to imagine that Gary Shaw couldn’t have helped out somehow. Isn’t that what part of the reason ICON was bought by EliteXC?
BTW, Icon via MMAHawaii actually posted the MRI report detailing Lawler’s injury. It shows a type 2 SLAP lesion with a complete tear of the long head of the bicep tendon. They said he hadn’t seen an orthopedic yet but that he would be out 6 weeks. That’s wishful thinking in my opinion. First off, it was likely an orthopedic who sent Robbie for the MRI in the first place. And with the findings that are outlined in that report, I’d be rather surprised if he doesn’t need surgery to at minimum correct the bicep tendon tear. This is more likely a 6-10 month recovery than the 6 weeks Icon is saying. Not good for Robbie.
Showtime hosted a conference call earlier this afternoon in preparation for the upcoming EliteXC: Uprising event scheduled to take place on September 15th in Honolulu, Hawaii. The fighters featured on the call were ICON Middleweight Champion Robbie Lawler, EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murlio Rua through the use of an interpreter, Jake Shields, and Gina Carano. Other officials participating in the call were EliteXC President Gary Shaw and ICON Sport President T. Jay Thompson.
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated.
- Spencer Fisher has stated that his next UFC fight will take place in November…
- UFC Junkie has now become MMA Junkie.
- It seems that TUF 5 alumnus Corey Hill has opted not to join Matt Hughes’ newly formed team after all:
Hill was supposed to be one of the four founding fighters, but according to Fiore, he has decided to explore other options.
“Cory is the type of fighter we are trying to bring to our gym,” Fiore said. “Nonetheless, we wish him the best of luck with his training and fighting career.“
- Yesterday’s Faber-Curran announcement was done in conjunction with the WEC’s new deal with Versus, which will bring 15 more live events and 20 more shows of Wrekcage to the network.
- UFC veteran Darrell Gholar has announced that he will be opening a training center in Austin, Texas.
- Showtime has hired sports producer David Dinkins to oversee the production of boxing and mixed martial arts telecasts for the network:
When asked about the future of MMA on the network, Dinkins said, “This is a tremendous opportunity for us to put our stamp on a new and growing sport. We plan to be innovative while maintaining the same high quality that viewers have come to expect from our boxing telecasts.”
- UFC middleweight Terry Martin is filing a lawsuit against the Chicago Police Department for false arrest:
Ultimate Fighting Championship rising star Terry Martin was falsely arrested as he was on his way into a police station to report police harassment, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.
Martin, 26, is suing Mayor Daley and Chicago Police officials and officers for misconduct, alleging that corruption within the Chicago Police Department led to Martin being arrested and prosecuted. Martin was stopped by police Oct. 22, 2005, for alleged minor traffic offenses while driving with his girlfriend, a 911 operator. He claims the officers used racial slurs during the encounter and other disrespectful comments. The next evening, according to the suit, Martin went to the police station to report the incident and was spotted by the same two officers.
‘‘The police said Terry drove past the station, and when the officers turned on their sirens, he did a U-turn and fled,’’ Martin’s attorney, Blake Horowitz, said. ‘‘They said he got up to a half-mile away before they brought him back and arrested him for fleeing and eluding. During the trial, another officer said he saw Terry pull up to the station calmly and they arrested him. He would have been able to see if there was a chase.’‘
News and Notes
- According to his management team, it seems that Fedor is going to sign with a promotion very soon:
That situation isn’t likely to remain so for much longer though, as speculation has swirled around Fedor’s contract status, or lack thereof, as of late. The hot rumor over the past few days has been that he has inked a deal with the UFC.
Not so says Reed Wallace, President of White Chocolate Management, who represents Fedor Emelianenko in the United States.
“Fedor has not signed anything [as of Tuesday afternoon],” Wallace informed MMAWeekly. “He’s going to do something soon. They can’t negotiate forever.”
So Wallace and company are getting fed up with waiting, just like the rest of the MMA world. It’s nothing surprising, but Apy Echteld sayng that contract talks with the UFC are going well certainly is:
Fedor’s managers, Vadim Finkelstein and Apy Echteld, met with the UFC late last week, but a signed contract has yet to materialize. “UFC discussions went very well according to Apy,” said Wallace in reference to the meeting. Initially it seemed the UFC was unwilling to make any modifications to their contract, but it now appears there has been some movement.
“I can say that they are very close to a deal, but some last minute players have stepped up as well,” he said.
One of those players as we all now know is Mark Cuban. The other is assumed to be K-1 Hero’s.
- Sherdog is reporting that Rumina Sato will take on Hideki Kadowaki at Shooto’s Back to our Roots show on September 22nd:
Shooto charisma Rumina Sato (Pictures) will fight Wajyutsu Keisyukai grappling ace Hideki Kadowaki (Pictures) on the Sept. 22 installment of the “Back to Our Roots” series, a source confirmed to Sherdog.com.
Leading Shooto promoter Sustain is expected to officially announce the Sato-Kadowaki bout later this week. The match-up will be the ninth, and likely final bout added to Sept. 22’s fight card.
- MMA Weekly has released their latest set of rankings...
Sherdog: Dan Henderson Training Pictures
UFC Junkie: “Team Hughes” Fighters Debut Sept. 15
UFC Mania: UFC Quick Quote: Chris Leben ‘in the best shape’ ever for Terry Martin
Bloody Elbow: Lift the Ban Watch
Fight Opinion: Wednesday war room: BMA and Big Brother
Fightlinker: Dana White treats people like shit