"That's interesting. "I'm not sure what Fedor has planned. I haven't spoken to M-1. I know M-1 executive Steve Bash was in the audience tonight, but we haven't had that conversation yet."
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker left the door open for Fedor Emelianenko to potentially fight the winner of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix tournament finals (either Josh Barnett or Daniel Cormier) following the tourney's conclusion. Emelianenko is widely believed to remain under a promotional contract with Showtime despite being released by Strikeforce. Touch of gloves to MMA Junkie for the catch.
Strikeforce women's featherweight champion and top female pound-for-pound fighter Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos has tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol and has been fined and suspended for one year according to the California State Athletic Commission.
The CSAC released a press release earlier today regarding the matter. Santos' positive test comes just weeks after she picked up her 11th straight win, a 16-second TKO of Hiroko Yamanaka at Strikeforce's latest event last month. That result has now been changed to a no-contest.
“Our primary concern is for the health and safety of fighters,” CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd stated in the release. “Anabolic agents and other banned substances put not only the users of those agents at risk, but their opponents as well. The commission simply will not tolerate their use.”
Despite continual speculation that Strikeforce will make like other Zuffa-owned organizations and fold into the UFC in the very near future, longtime promotional figurehead Scott Coker still has hope for his creation.
Reports were published earlier this week that the organization was set to renew its contract with Showtime, albeit under some different terms. According to Coker, negotiations are ongoing, but nothing has been signed yet.
"There’s nothing to announce but I’m optimistic at this point," Coker said on a Tuesday conference call to promote Strikeforce's next event on December 17. "We’ll have to wait and see. I think that things are going well and I think that we’ll have something shortly.
Scott Coker. Photo by Esther Lin/AllElbows.com.
After weeks of speculation from media outlets and silence from Strikeforce, the organization officially announced today that it has postponed the remaining quarterfinals of its heralded heavyweight grand prix tournament.
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers will now take place on June 18 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. In addition, Strikeforce's planned April 9 event is now loaded with a pair of title fights - Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez defending in a rematch against Tatsuya Kawajiri and welterweight king Nick Diaz facing Paul Daley.
It looks like April 9 will be a success for the promotion after all, but the momentum gained from the start of the tournament last month has surely been lost. So why did things get pushed back anyway?
Fedor Emelianenko. Photo courtesy of Affliction Entertainment.
As he spoke to the 11,287 in attendance at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, NJ, Fedor Emelianenko, long MMA's top fighter in any weight class, looked relieved.
Following his loss to Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in the opening round of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix tournament on Saturday, Emelianenko revealed that he may have just fought for the last time.
"Something went wrong from the very beginning and I couldn't readjust myself," Emelianenko said after the fight. "Maybe it's time to leave. Maybe it's the last time. Maybe it's high time. Thank you for everything. I spent a great, beautiful and long sporting life. Maybe it's God's will."
Nick Diaz. Photo by Esther Lin/Strikeforce.
With only a few options left concerning Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz's future opponents, the Stockton, California native will now likely face Paul Daley later this year, provided Daley gets past Yuya Shirai at a BAMMA show on February 26.
Despite Daley's success around the world, including an impressive 2-1 stint in the UFC, Diaz wasn't "impressed" with his potential foe's skills.
"I'm not really impressed with Paul Daley as a mixed martial artist," Diaz said during last night's post-fight press conference for "Diaz vs. Cyborg". "He's got great stand-up, but I wouldn't judge him from the Scott Smith fight.
Rafael Feijao. Photo by Esther Lin/Strikeforce.
A long-rumored bout between former UFC and PRIDE star Dan Henderson and current Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante has been booked for Strikeforce's upcoming March 5 show at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker announced the matchup as official on Saturday during the post-fight press conference for the promotion's "Diaz vs. Cyborg" event.
In addition, Coker stated that a venue for the organization's April 9 show, which will showcase two heavyweight grand prix quarterfinal bouts, would likely be announced sometime next week.
Scott Coker. Photo by Esther Lin/AllElbows.com.
It seems that Scott Coker is channeling his inner Dana White.
Strikeforce’s head honcho isn’t primarily known for talking bad about anyone. It’s precisely why Coker’s San Jose-based promotion has become one of the most respected businesses in mixed martial arts. But with the UFC eager to steal away any and all above-average talent from the Strikeforce ranks, it’s been Coker who has shown more of an aggressive side in recent weeks.
Fedor Emelianenko. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com.
Longtime heavyweight king and new Strikeforce acquisition Fedor Emelianenko will be part of an open workout session this Wednesday in New York City. The event is free and open to the public, fans and media alike.
The festivities, which will also include a meet-and-greet and an autograph session with Emelianenko, is slated to begin at 3:30 PM ET at the Fighthouse MMA gym, which is located at 122 West 27th Street, 2nd Floor in Manhattan.
Nick Diaz. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Prior to Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg, Nick Diaz was scheduled to take on Jay Hieron for the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title. All of that was thrown out the window when Diaz decided to skip a mandatory drug test administered by the California State Athletic Commission.
Strikeforce and Showtime executives were displeased with the situation and when forced to find a replacement they called upon The Ultimate Fighter 7 alumni Jesse Taylor and placed his bout with Hieron on the non-televised section of the August 15 card.
Scott Coker and Ken Hershman recently spoke with ESPN Radio’s Steve Cofield where they provided their thoughts on Diaz and what steps the organization and network will take in the future.