Kaitlin Young: Commissioner stopped fight, not doctor
On Saturday night, Kaitlin Young put on a great performance against Gina Carano in EliteXC Primetime debut on CBS. The fight was stopped between the second and third rounds and it was announced that the ringside doctor had recommended the stoppage. In a post to the FighterGirls website, Kaitlin Young disagrees, giving a detailed perspective of how the fight was stopped and raising an interesting accusation.
My left cheek and area surrounding the eye are looking pretty ugly today, but there was no major damage. Though it may have looked like it on tv, I never actually had an open wound.
What you didn’t see was that the doctor actually cleared me to fight the third round but the commission said “no”. I wanted to continue, my corner wanted to continue. The cut likely would have opened in the third but it was under the eye. If I had to guess, I would say that they didn’t want the visual of a woman with a bloody face on CBS.
They also chose not to do a post fight interview with me or to include me in the post fight news conference and after party. I think the reason for that was my beat up appearance after the fight because I was not seriously injured and was completely coherent.
I am very disappointed about that but cant help but wonder how people would have responded to that, as stupid as it is.
She continues here.
Yeah, I have to agree. I think if people were shocked or upset by the look of it they may have been put at ease a bit by seeing that I was okay. I think some people probably assumed the worst because I basically disappeared from the camera after the fight.
I’m not trying to be one of those people “Well, I would have won if they had let it go into the third round so it wasn’t my fault. Yada yada yada….” Gina was obviously getting the better of me at that point in the fight, but I wasn’t ready to be done. It really bothers me that I didn’t get a chance to thank my sponsors and all that jazz.
Sounds pretty fishy. When the fight was stopped, they had a close up of Kaitlin’s face. I said right away that fight would not have been stopped if it was a male. Apparently, there may have been a good amount of truth to it. And shame on EliteXC for not even allowing Kaitlin to attend the post fight press conference.
More Fallout from EliteXC Primetime
Our friends at MMARated have posted a video from the post fight press conference featuring EliteXC President of Live Events Gary Shaw and heavyweight James Thompson. In a comical moment, Gary Shaw relays the fact that thompson was having difficulties breathing and was being transported to the hospital. Shaw then asks for everyone’s prayers for Thompson. Meanwhile, Thompson is standing in the middle of the press conference drinking a bottle of water! Check out the video after the jump.
Kenny Florian. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Kenny Florian will reportedly serve as the temporary host of ESPN’s newly-planned online mixed martial arts magazine show that will appear exclusively on the company’s official website and on mobile phones according to Adam Swift of MMA Payout.
According to Swift, Florian will serve as the show’s host at least for the first two weeks of tapings. However it’s unknown whether the show will be UFC-based, something that apparently delayed the launch of the program, or if it will cover the entire world of the sport.
Affliction-HDNet Deal Still Possible
While it was previously reported that a potential deal between Affliction and HDNet that would have the clothing brand hold it’s first MMA show at the Dallas-based American Airlines Center fell apart, HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon says that the event could still possibly be televised on the digital cable network.
According to MMA Weekly, the event would not be permitted to take place at the home of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks due to a lack of time to substantially promote the show. However the potential of at least part of the event airing live or on tape-delay on HDNet is not out of the realm of possibility.
“We talk to everybody and I wouldn’t say that any conversation is dead yet,” Simon said in the report. “You just never know. You know how this sport works, one day you think you’re not working together and the next day you might announce something. Affliction… I would say, never say never.
ASU Shuts Down Storied Wrestling Program
Arizona State University has decided to shut down it’s storied wrestling program along with men’s swimming and men’s tennis as part of a financial cutback at the school according to MMA Weekly.
Normally this wouldn’t be the type of news to be reported on this site, but the school’s wrestling program has produced a slew of highly-touted MMA prospects in recent years, including current UFC fighters Cain Velasquez and C.B. Dollaway. Shoe-in hall-of-famers Dan Severn, Don Frye, and Dan Henderson all competed for the school as well in the past.
There may still be hope for the program. NCAA President Myles Brand is expected to hold a meeting later this month to discuss the possibility of protecting school sports that also take place in the Olympics, wrestling being one of them.
Bush Tests Positive for Marijuana
Heavyweight prospect George Bush has reportedly tested positive for marijuana following his first-round tournament loss to former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez at YAMMA Pit Fighting’s inaugural show last month in Atlantic City, New Jersey according to Sherdog.com.
“I just found out a few days ago, and needless to say, I’m very surprised and disappointed,” Bush said in the report. “I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I assure the fans that this will never happen again.”
While there won’t be any official announcement from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, (they don’t release drug-testing information to the media) Bush has confirmed that he has not been fined but has been suspended by the commission for 90 days.
Photo property of PRIDE FC Worldwide.
Despite speculation that Mark Kerr would not be approved to fight by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board because of an existing suspension by the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, it seems that the former two-time UFC heavyweight tournament winner will be permitted to fight after all.
The news comes from Sam Caplan and Five Ounces of Pain, who report through an official with the NJSACB that Kerr has been taken off of his suspenison in the state of Connecticut and will be cleared to fight Oleg Taktarov at this weekend’s YAMMA Pit Fighting event, assuming he passes all necessary medical exams.
Kerr was suspended after failing pre-fight tests before a scheduled bout against Sean O’Haire last year. Kerr will essentially be replacing an injured Don Frye against Taktarov. Frye was forced to pull out of the bout after suffering a shoulder injury during a recent training session.
He will now be required to undergo surgery but will be at the show do to do commentary on the pay-per-view broadcast.
In addition, Ron Waterman has reportedly been tapped to serve as an alternate for the one night, eight-man heavyweight tournament that is slated to take place at the event.
Former New Jersey Athletic Control Board head Larry Hazzard has filed a lawsuit against the commission according to a report from The Fight Network.
Hazzard was fired after close to 21 years on the job by New Jersey state attorney general Anne Milgram after Hazzard made comments referring to NJACB employee’s decisions to sanction mismatches in mixed martial arts contests and to approve fighters who failed to test negative for HIV and other medical tests. The comments were sent in a letter to NJ governor Jon Corzine.
Hazzard is claiming that he was dismissed unlawfully and is looking to receive payment for damages as well as his old job back.
The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board released the official list of medical suspensions late yesterday and surprisingly only two fighters were listed.
Joe Doerksen has been medically suspended for 60 days after suffering a broken orbital bone in the first round of his bout against Ed Herman, which he would go on to lose by knockout. Doerksen will be required to undergo a CAT scan and be medically cleared by a physician before he will be permitted to return to action.
Akihiro Gono has been indefinitely medically suspended after suffering a wrist injury in his win over Tamdan McCrory. Gono will not be permitted to compete until he is medically cleared by a doctor.
Larry Hazzard, the long-time head of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, was fired yesterday after close to 21 years on the job by state attorney general Anne Milgram.
The Philadelphia Daily News said that Hazzard declined to comment and that the only reason that Milgram gave for Hazzard’s release was that “It was time for a change.”
Former undisputed middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins was quite angered to hear that Hazzard was fired without proper reason:
“Nobody can tell me why Larry got fired,” Hopkins said. “Everybody told me that the attorney general said there was no comment. Just like that, there was a change. It’s just like changing quarterbacks. If you want to change [Donovan] McNabb, you have to have a reason. You just can’t change him.
Zack Arnold of Fight Opinion has a fantastic round-up of coverage on the event which reveals that Hazzard actually wrote a letter to New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine concerning the possibility that some of the NJACB employees were jeopardizing the health of some fighters by being negligent during pre-fight testing.
Apparently state officials were irked by the letter and ended up deciding to let Hazzard go.
The New Jersey Star-Ledger has a quote from Hazzard’s lawyer that might make this whole thing an even bigger deal.
Touch of gloves to Zack for this one:
Among the concerns, Binns wrote, were the employee’s decisions to sanction mismatches in mixed martial arts contests, to okay a fighter who failed to test negative for HIV and to allow promoters to “shop” for medical approvals for their fighters.
Bad news for the state of New Jersey if the allegations are true.
News and Notes
- Tony Bonello has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Jon Murphy at this Saturday’s ShoXC Elite Challenger Series event. A replacement opponent for Murphy has not yet been named.
- Cub Swanson says that he may not be competing in the WEC’s September 5th event now that Jens Pulver has bowed out of their bout with a knee injury:
“It’s fifty-fifty right now that I’ll fight in September,” said Swanson, a hot local talent on the San Diego circuit whose budding career could have surely benefited from the higher profile match-up with the former UFC lightweight champion.
“It’s unfortunate,” said Swanson. “I just finished training for a month in Big Bear and I’m in shape.”
Loretta Hunt of The Fight Network describes Swanson’s current situation as “the WEC placing him on standby.”
- MMA Weekly is reporting that yet another Korean news website is stating that Denis Kang has signed with K-1 Hero’s and that his first bout will be against Kazushi Sakuraba on September 17th.
A Korean website called “joynews.inews24.com” is reporting that Denis Kang has been signed by K-1’s Heroes to a lucrative 2-year contract.
Apparently, Kang’s management is citing the ability to continue to compete in Spirit MC, a Korean MMA promotion in which Kang is one of the biggest draws and holds a title, as the deciding factor in signing the contract with K-1 Heroes.
Korean news is also reporting that Kang’s debut is scheduled for September 17 against Kazushi Sakuraba. Neither Kang nor K-1 has yet confirmed this, however, and there is some speculation that Sakuraba may be injured.
The website does bring up two new points - Sakuraba’s possible injury and the fact that Kang would be free to still compete in Spirit MC, which happens to be holding a tournament right now to try and crown a number one contender for Kang’s heavyweight title in that promotion.
- UFC Junkie is reporting that Nate Mohr has been forced to pull out of his proposed bout with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 76. Mohr has apparently suffered a possible broken hand. Officials close to Stephens have stated that he has still been promised a spot on the card and that the UFC is currently searching for a replacement opponent. The UFC had yet to officially announce the Mohr-Stephens bout.
- UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture will be featured tonight in Spike TV’s special, “100% Natural”. Spike will air three programs featuring Couture in them: UFC Unleashed featuring Couture’s win over Tim Sylvia at UFC 68 at 10 PM, Countdown to UFC 74 at 11 PM, and then UFC All Access: Randy Couture at 12 AM.
- The California State Athletic Commission has announced that Anthony Bivins and Cesar De La Torre have both been fined and suspended for testing positive for marijuana.
De La Torre last competed at Total Fighting Alliance on August 11th in Santa Monica, Calif. He lost by TKO to Justin Schalk. De La Torre has been fined $500 and his suspension runs from the conclusion of the bout on August 11 through November 9, 2007.
Bivins tested positive following his most recent bout for Cage Combat on August 18th in Yuba City, Calif. He defeated Tyson Schoel by triangle choke. Bivins was also fined $500 and his suspension runs from the conclusion of the bout on August 18 through November 16, 20007.
- The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board has added a female referee to it’s staff for the first time in it’s history:
Kim Winslow will officiate her first MMA fight under the NJSACB at Ring of Combat XV Friday, Sept. 7 at the Tropicana Casino in Atlantic City, N.J. Promoted by Louis Neglia, the event will be televised on pay-per-view. Ring of Combat XV will feature preliminary fights in the Beasts of the Northeast Tournament.
Winslow, a Reno, Nev. resident, has refereed in an amateur capacity in several other jurisdictions, according to the NJSACB. The 39-year-old has shadowed pro referees at UFC and IFL shows. Winslow trained regularly in jiu-jitsu and Muay thai for several years at the Reno School of Combat.
Sherdog: Canada’s Top Light Heavyweight? Hollett Thinks So
UFC Junkie: “The Ultimate Fighter 6? Will Include Small Rules Change
UFC Mania: Disjointed Lesnar interview shames MMA heavyweights
MMA Madness: A look back at K-1’s Las Vegas Grand Prix