Today the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to reinstate Alistair Overeem’s license. The approval opens the door for Overeem’s scheduled bout with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 156.
According to MMA Fighting, Overeem provided the NSAC with five self-administered tests between June and December that were all clean. Along with those, he faced tests on November 16 and December 21, both of which he passed.
Nate Marquardt defends his Strikeforce welterweight title January 12 against Tarec Saffiedine at Strikeforce’s final event. If victorious, Marquardt told Ariel Helwani he’s open to a unification bout with Georges St. Pierre. Marquardt and St. Pierre have been training together since Marquardt’s first UFC stint. [MMA Fighting]
Last week on MMA Fighting’s “The MMA Beat”, Mike Straka stated that he's heard through sources that Georges St. Pierre is requesting $50 million to fight Anderson Silva. Straka said, “I was told by somebody very close to Georges that Georges today makes close to $8 million a fight. So to fight Anderson Silva he’s going to ask for $50 million.”
St. Pierre, who is currently in Paris, France, joined 98.5 FM Sports and shot down the report saying it was not true.
Johny Hendricks recently told MMA Junkie Radio that he has no intentions of risking his status as the number one contender for the UFC welterweight title. Hendricks said, “I’m not going to fight unless it’s for a belt. Nothing else matters but the belt.”
It’ll be interesting to see how the UFC handles the current welterweight title picture. Will it be the lesser known yet more deserving Hendricks or the outspoken and brash Nick Diaz?