The Fight Network is reporting that Thiago Alves has been suspended after testing postive for a banned substance during his post-fight drug test at UFC 66: Liddell vs. Ortiz II.
Dec. 30 UFC 66 contestant Thiago Alves – who scored a second round TKO over Tony DeSouza – was suspended for eight months and received a $5,500 fine (25% of his purse) after testing positive for a diuretic not approved by the Commission.
News and Notes
- Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic will be facing Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 70 in Manchester, England.
- ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ veterans Chris Leben and Kalib Starnes will clash in the octagon at some point in May.
- UFCJunkie.com is reporting that Team Jackson fighter Nathan Marquardt has been granted at title shot at UFC 72.
- In a recent article on Sherdog.com, Josh Gross reported that Brandon Vera’s final UFC fight will come against heavyweight prospect Jake O’Brien.
I do have it on good authority, though, that Vera will fight Jake O’Brien. All signs point to the UFC doing anything it can to leave a black mark on Vera as he appears headed in another direction.
DEEP: 28th Impact - 02/16/07
ROF 28: Evolution - 02/16/07
NAAFS: The Midwest Combat Challenge 2 - 02/17/07
CFC III: Combat Fighting Championship III - 02/17/07
GMC: Cage Force 2 - 02/17/07
Shooto: Professional Shoot 2007 - 02/17/07
It has been announced that Mauro Ranallo and Jay Glazer will join the broadcast team for the upcoming EliteXC show on Showtime.
Originally it was announced that former WWE star Bill Goldberg and Mario Lopez would be in charge of the announcing duties. Luckily for MMA fans, Showtime and EliteXC has added some legit announcing with the additions of Glazer and Ranallo.
Mauro Ranallo will be in charge of the play-by-play duties while Goldberg and Glazer provide the color commentary. Mario Lopez will serve as a “roving reporter”.
I’m happy to see Showtime has added some legit talent in the broadcast booth. When I first heard that Bill Goldberg and Mario Lopez would be the announcers I figured the organization was destined for failure. Goldberg was absolutely horrid when he did the color commentary on the WFA: King of the Streets show.
According to The Fight Network, “Little Mirko” Zelg Galesic has been forced to withdraw from his fight at Cage Rage 20 after he sustained a shoulder injury in training. Galesic was scheduled to defend his Cage Rage Middleweight belt against PRIDE veteran Daijiro Matsui.
Galesic’s replacement will be undefeated fighter Tom “Kong” Watson (2-0).
A new television series, “International Fight League’s Total Impact,” which follows the athletes, coaches and personalities of the International Fight League, the world’s first team-based professional mixed martial arts organization, heads this spring’s new lineup on MyNetworkTV.
The program will air each Monday from 8-10 p.m. across the entire MyNetworkTV network, which reaches more than 95% of U.S. homes, beginning on March 12. This marks the first regularly-scheduled over-the-air broadcast of the sport of mixed martial arts.
News and Notes
- The UFC 67: All or Nothing weigh-ins will air live today at 4PM PST on Yahoo! Sports.
- Yesterday the UFC held their pre-fight press conference for UFC 67: All or Nothing. All of the headliners were there except for heavyweight ace Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.
- At the press conference, it was mentioned that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva may move to California, possibly to open a branch of his newly-formed Black House gym.
- The Fight Network has signed a multi year deal with Elite XC and they will begin by televising their first event live on February 10th at 10 PM EST.
News and Notes
- The Fight Network will be televising the EliteXC debut show live at 10 PM EST on February 10th.
- UFC and PRIDE veteran Kevin “The Monster” Randleman has been released from the hospital after he suffered near kidney failure.
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Alistair Overeem will face off in the ring PRIDE 33: Second Coming.
- Canadian welterweight Jeff Joslin is scheduled to face Kuniyoshi Hironaka on April 5th live on Spike TV.
- Tonight on ‘Inside the UFC’, Joe Rogan will sit down and talk to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and his opponent Travis Lutter.
- Be sure to check out our newly created rumors page. We’ve updated the PRIDE 33 card with Overeem vs. Rua.
- Sherdog has announced that they will be going live 3 days a week starting February 12th. The show will run from 1PM - 5PM EST with 2 hour episodes of ‘The Beatdown’ and ‘The Savage Dog Show’. The show will also have updates at the top of every hour. For the users who cannot listen live, there will still be a podcast available through iTunes.
- Elvis Sinosic has signed a new deal with the UFC and it looks like his next fight will be in April. It also looks like Gonzaga will be fighting on one of the UFC cards in April.
The Boston Herald is reporting that the UFC may actually be on ESPN a lot sooner than we think. UFC President Dana White informed the newspaper that he will be traveling to the network headquarters to participate in a series of meetings regarding the possibility of putting UFC programming on ESPN in the near future.
“All the top meetings over there are about the UFC, said White. When they start talking about this stuff on ‘SportsCenter,’ that’s really going to help us. That’s going to help us get to the next level.”
Even though the UFC and the sport of mixed martial arts is exploding faster than ever before, White still isn’t satisifed with his product’s place in pop culture…
“That’s the beauty of the business,” White said. “We’re the biggest thing on pay per view. We’re bigger than boxing. We’re bigger than WWE. But we’re so fucking far from mainstream. Mainstream is Shaquille O’Neal. If Shaq is walking down the street, everyone knows who he is.
The weird thing about this is Chuck Liddell is one of the biggest superstars in other places. We went to Ibiza, Spain, and he’s getting mobbed there. We couldn’t go anywhere. He goes to New York and people are all over him. I mean, it’s tough to miss a guy with a Mohawk and Chinese writing on his head. They might recognize him, but they don’t immediately know the UFC.”
Versus, the network that celebrates real competition in all its forms, today announced that it will televise the inaugural season of the World Combat League (WCL), the world’s first team-based combat martial arts league.
The WCL was created and launched by six-time world karate champion and martial arts icon Chuck Norris in October, 2005 and the WCL currently consists of eight teams representing two divisions.
The premiere episode of the WCL on Versus will air January 25 at 11 p.m. ET and the network will televise at least 27 hours of WCL action in prime time during 2007.
News and Notes
- Chris Price failed to make 185 lbs for his fight against Ed Herman as he weighed in at 192 lbs. Herman decided to take the fight even though his opponent could make weight.
- Here is a rundown of what will be on ‘Inside the UFC’ tomorrow night.
* The UFC’s newest addition Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will go one-on-one with host Joe Rogan.
* There will be a feature on the nerves fighters experience before a fight.
* They will take a look at the art of tattoos and their significance to UFC fighters.
- Melvin Guillard has pulled out of his fight at UFC 67 and his replacement will be Diego Saraiva.
- UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture will appear on season two of “Pros vs. Joes” at 10:00 PM ET/PT.