Tonight we will be covering WEC 28: Faber vs. Farrar with one of our patented live blogs. Be sure to leave some comments throughout the night…
WEC 28: Faber vs. Farrar
Urijah Faber vs. Chance Farrar
Rani Yahya vs. Mark Hominick
Alex Karalexis vs. Josh Smith
Craig Zellner vs. Brian Stann
Brock Larson vs. Kevin Knabjian
Alex Serdyukov vs. John Alessio
Cub Swanson vs. Micah Miller
Brian Bowles vs. Charlie Valencia
Mike French vs. Jeff Bedard
Here are the official weigh-in results for WEC 28: WrekCage.
WEC 28: WrekCage
Urijah Faber (144) vs. Chance Farrar (144)
Rani Yahya (145) vs. Mark Hominick (144)
Alex Karalexis (155) vs. Josh Smith (155)
Craig Zellner (203) vs. Brian Stann (201)
Brock Larson (170) vs. Kevin Knabjian (170)
Alex Serdyukov (170) vs. John Alessio (171)
Cub Swanson (145) vs. Micah Miller (146)
Brian Bowles (136) vs. Charlie Valencia (135)
Mike French (134) vs. Jeff Bedard (136)
The show will air on VERSUS at 9 PM EST, with a one-hour preview show immediately beforehand at 8 PM EST. For those of you in Canada, the event can be caught live on TSN.
News and Notes
- Our rumors page has been updated…
- Check back with us later today for a preview of what’s coming up in the world of MMA during the month of June.
- No word yet on whether or not the WEC has found a replacement opponent for Brock Larson for the promotion’s first ever televised event on Versus. Larson was originally supposed to challenge Carlos Condit for the WEC Welterweight Title but Condit was forced to bow out of the bout after sustaining an injury during training.
- The Fight Network is reporting that David Loiseau is currently sidelined with a broken thumb and will be out of action for 2-3 weeks:
David Loiseau (15-7) is currently sidelined with a broken thumb that required surgery two weeks ago. “The Crow” suffered the injury during his win over Freddie Espiricueta on May 11th at the Arena Fighting Championship’s “Art of War II” show in Austin, Texas.
The Canadian middleweight defeated Espiricueta with an arm-triangle submission in the second round, after damaging his right hand earlier in the fight.
“I have to wait two to three more weeks [before removing the cast] and then I’ll start training again,” said the 27 year old.
Nonetheless, the Montreal native has been forced to withdraw from the upcoming Steele Cage Promotions IFO event in Las Vegas on July 7. Loiseau was slated to face Chilo Gonzalez (9-7) in the upstart MMA organization launched by former boxing referee Richard Steele.
Video of the Day
This Friday’s IFL Battleground will feature the greatest knockouts in IFL history…
Dana White talks about the present and future of the UFC on ESPN Motion.
The recap of Liddell-Jackson with some interview coverage from ESPN Motion.
UFC color commentator Joe Rogan defends the sport of MMA against boxing promoter Lou DiBella…
The title says it all. The Fight Network has posted an article which states K-1 Dynamite!! USA is in danger of not happening.
According to the article, Fight Entertainment Group (FEG) have yet to be granted their license by the California State Athletic Commission.
A CSAC representative says the hold-up has been FEG’s inability and hesitation to submit financial paperwork, requirements the state agency stipulates of all its applicants.
After numerous requests FEG still has not submitted the bond necessary to cover fighters’ purses for the June 2nd show. No bond = no event.
It was also noted that lightweight Javier Vasquez had dropped off of the card and K-1 had attempted to replace him with UFC veteran Gabe Ruediger but the request was denied as he is currently under suspension in Nevada.
The CSAC says it has not received even preliminary paperwork for 19 of the 22 fighters slated to participate. This includes the 14 foreign fighters K-1 had agreed to deliver stateside beginning May 17. Kazushi Sakuraba, who faces Royce Gracie in a rematch, is scheduled to arrive in the US tomorrow. At this time, the CSAC can not confirm that any of the foreign fighters are now stateside.
Things aren’t looking very positive for K-1 Dynamite!! USA… 90,000 seat arena, no promoters license, and no replacement for Carano or Vasquez. What’s next?
Update: 12:07 AM: The Fight Network is reporting that FEG submitted papers to the CSAC today but after a careful review the CSAC decided it was not enough to grant FEG a promoters’ license.
Two hours following the story, the CSAC says they received documents from FEG, though after careful review, the state agency announced this afternoon the paperwork is far insufficient to accommodate a request for a promoters’ license and is “not what we asked for.”
“We have drawn a line in the sand,” says Bill Douglas, CSAC Staff Analyst who has handled the majority of the last two month’s interaction with the Japanese company trying to bring its first MMA event to the US. “If they do not deliver us the financial information by the end of this week, this is going to be a big problem.”
On top of that, the CSAC still has not received a bond from the promotion to front fighters’ purses and other accrued costs.
Update: 12:14 AM: ‘The Ultimate Fighter 5’ contestant Gabe Ruediger has been released from his UFC contract and had his “administrative suspension” lifted by the NSAC meaning he can compete on the card.
The Fight Network has announced that veteran UFC referee, “Big” John McCarthy, has joined The Fight Network as an analyst for the “After the Bell” show that airs after major MMA events.
The Fight Network family continues to grow – “big” time. Iconic MMA referee “Big” John McCarthy has come onboard as an analyst, and will make his Fight Network debut on our original TV series “After The Bell” following UFC 71 to give his insight.
UFC President Dana White and heavyweight title contender Mirko Cro Cop held a conference call with the media earlier today discussing this weekend’s event. Many topics were covered over the hour session including Cro Cop’s thoughts on Gabriel Gonzaga, the immediate plans for PRIDE’s future, the contract status of Mauricio Rua and Fedor Emelianenko, and much more.
Let’s just say that we have everything covered. Read and enjoy…
Cro Cop’s Thoughts on Gabriel Gonzaga:
Cro Cop was very straight forward in answering questions about Gonzaga. He stated that Gonzaga will not have an answer for everything that Cro Cop is going to bring to the Octagon on Saturday. He said that he is at full health for this weekend. He will not being using PRIDE’s theme music when he walks to the Octagon. Instead he will use his usual “Wild Boyz” song.
Cro Cop also said that he isn’t worried about Gonzaga’s ground skills and that it is his all-around game that presents the biggest problems matchup-wise:
“I have trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu a lot, have experts in my gym. I feel comfortable even on the ground. I am aware he is a jiu-jitsu world champion, but I am pretty versed in ground fighting now. Of course my basis is stand up, but even if we go to the ground, I am not scared.
Gonzaga is a solid, good fighter. He is a tough guy. He won’t hesitate to fight toe to toe. He is a first class fighter. I will try to keep it in a stand up position. I don’t want to underestimate him” stated Cro Cop.
Cro Cop on Couture, Liddell, Fedor, and Big Nog:
Cro Cop said that he would love for to have a rematch with Fedor Emelianenko in the near future but he is currently focused on his fight with Gonzaga and then winning the UFC Heavyweight Title before that can happen. He said that Randy Couture’s age will not be a factor if and when they fight because he has already shown that it hasn’t been a factor in past fights. He stated that while he doesn’t have any preference on his opponents in the UFC, he has a feeling that he will be fighting Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira very soon.
Cro Cop also made it known that he will be unable to cut enough weight to make it down to the 205 lb weight class, meaning that if a dream match with Chuck Liddell is to happen, that Liddell will have to come up to heavyweight and fight…
“I have no space to go down, maybe if I chop off my hand or something. I definitely can’t go down” said Cro Cop.
Dana White on Big Nog, Fedor, Wanderlei Silva, Sakuraba, and Liddell:
White stated that Nogueira was signed by the UFC as a free agent and that talks began about a month ago. He also stated that there is currently no timetable for his first fight nor any ideas on who his first opponent may be.
White said that at the time he originally made that Wanderlei Silva-Chuck Liddell announcement for UFC 65, it was going to be the biggest fight in MMA history. He now says that it isn’t the case until Silva wins a few more fights to make up for his KO losses to Cro Cop and Dan Henderson. Silva currently has four fights left on his six fight contract to do so.
According to White, the UFC is currently trying to figure out the status of Fedor. Fedor’s contract isn’t exclusive to PRIDE and that Zuffa and PRIDE FC Worldwide will not accept non-exclusive contracts for their fighters. White did say however that Fedor is under contract to the company and that if another rival promotion tried to sign him, he would slap them with an injunction immediately.
Despite the heavy rumors that Mauricio Rua has signed a contract that will allow him two fights in PRIDE and two fights in the UFC, White says that the rumors are not true. Also Kazushi Sakuraba is not under contract with PRIDE and White isn’t aware of the reasoning behind him being brought out to address the crowd during PRIDE 34.
White Talks About Changes to PRIDE and the Lightweight Grand-Prix:
White has confirmed once again that PRIDE will be changing to the unified rules of mixed martial arts (the rule set that the UFC uses) as well as the same round structures and weight classes. PRIDE will continue to use a ring instead of a cage. Also fight cards will be announced weeks in advance of an event, just like the UFC does now. Does everyone recall the PRIDE 34 mess?
PRIDE will not have a super heavyweight division and the crazy matchups the promotion used to hold including Butterbean, Giant Silva, and Bob Sapp will not take place anymore. White stated that all employees currently with PRIDE will keep their jobs with the exception of Gary Millen and Frank Trigg. They have been fired and will be replaced with a completely new announce team.
White said that it is still undecided in terms of whether or not the Lightweight Grand-Prix will take place at 155 lbs or 170 lbs. White denied all rumors about Diego Sanchez and Matt Hughes taking place in the tourney as there will not be any UFC fighters participating:
“There will be no UFC fighters in the tournament. The UFC and PRIDE are completely separate companies. You won’t see UFC vs PRIDE until we do the big event” said White.
White Discusses UFC’s status with HBO and ESPN:
The UFC will debut on HBO as soon as this summer according to White. The deal actually isn’t complete but is in the final stages of being finalized. White didn’t say much about things but did mention that the HBO will be doing their own production and announcing of events rather than having the UFC do things along with Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan. White said that it wasn’t easy for him to agree to that…
The UFC will still broadcast shows on HBO, Spike TV, and PPV. Spike TV will be made up mostly of guys from The Ultimate Fighter television shows. Shows on HBO will be mixture of TUF guys, international stars, and other UFC fighters. PPV shows would then have the best of the best.
ESPN will now be covering the UFC on a regular basis according to White. The coverage will include both weigh-in and fight results…
White Talks About Possible UFC Fights and Events in the Near Future:
White said that UFC 72 will either be on PPV or Spike TV. He mentioned Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, Atlanta, and Philadelphia all as possible sites that may hold future UFC events. Florida will also hold another UFC event in the near future according to White.
White said that the “Inside the UFC” TV show wasn’t scrapped and that the company is currently working on a date to bring the show back to the air.
White announced a slew of possible matchups - If Andrei Arlovski defeats Fabricio Werdum on Saturday, he will most likely fight the winner of Mirko Cro Cop and Randy Couture should Cro Cop get poast Gabriel Gonzaga as well. Sean Sherk will defend his lightweight title in Sacramento, California against Hermes Franca. Tito Ortiz vs Rashad Evans and Anderson Silva vs Nate Marquardt will also take place on that card. Georges St. Pierre will most likely be fighting next in August against an opponent that has yet to be determined…
White on Tito Ortiz:
White’s comments were short and sweet when asked about the current situation between himself and Tito Ortiz:
“Tito is living in a fucking bubble right now” said White “You saw what happened. I showed up and he didn’t. He’s not afraid of me, but he has people around him telling him it was a bad idea. He is out there making himself look like a jackass. He should shut his mouth and worry about Rashad Evans.”
Consider this the TUF edition of CKA…
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated…
- Tonight is obviously the second episode of The Ultimate Fighter Season 5. Spike TV will also be airing Bad Blood: Dana White vs. Tito Ortiz, a documentary about the training that White and Ortiz went through leading up to their cancelled boxing exhibition bout last month right after the show is over at 11 PM EST. Also be sure to check back on Friday as I will be posting a little recap of what has happened so far in TUF5 for those who haven’t been following the show for whatever reason.
- TUF Alumni Alert: UFC veteran Mike Nickels will be fighting on April 28th in Ring of Fire 29: Aftershock. Noah Inhofer was victorious this past weekend over Dave Kleczkowski.
- MMA Weekly fills us in on the ratings results for the premiere episode of TUF 5:
The season premiere of The Ultimate Fighter 5, which aired on Spike TV on April 5th, drew an overall rating of 1.4. This puts the TUF 5 premiere in a tie with the premiere of the very first season of The Ultimate Fighter for the lowest-rated premiere episode in series history, as the TUF 1 premiere also drew a 1.4 overall rating.
The majority of the episode drew a 1.3 rating, but the show-closing fight between Cole Miller and Alan Berube drew a 1.5 rating, increasing the average for the hour.