David Heath. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
EDMONTON - The Maximum Fighting Championship, the fastest-rising mixed martial arts organization in North America, puts its fourth show of 2008 under the spotlight with MFC 18: Famous on Friday, September 26 at the River Cree Resort and Casino.
In the main event, a new No. 1 contender for the MFC light heavyweight title will be determined as the always exciting David Heath (9-3) makes his much-anticipated MFC debut against Emanuel Newton (9-3-1). The winner of the bout is likely to be first in line to face the MFC’s reigning champion in the 205-pound division - Roger “The Hulk” Hollett.
“This is going to be an electrifying fight between two very accomplished competitors,” said Mark Pavelich, Owner/President of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
“David Heath is a fiery guy who craves the title and I was very happy to get him signed to a multi-fight deal. But there is no way that someone like Emanuel Newton who is on a tremendous streak having won seven straight fights can be taken lightly at all. Whoever wins this fight is going to be very ready to face the champ.”
Roger Hollett. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
The Maximum Fighting Championship announced this week that they have signed light heavyweight champion Roger Hollett and longtime veteran LaVerne Clark to multi-fight contracts that will have both fighters compete for the promotion before the end of the year.
Hollett has not competed since tearing multiple ligaments in his left knee during his first professional loss to American Top Team’s Lew Polley in October of last year. “Hulk” won the vacant MFC light heavyweight title with a first-round stoppage of UFC veteran Victor Valimaki at MFC 13 last August.
“My knee is great,” Hollett said in a recent press release. “I want to get back on track and get back to where I was before the injury. I’m going to be fighting Marcus Hicks on September 20 in the ECC before I come back to the MFC but I’m looking forward to defending my title against anyone they put in front of me. I have a great relationship with the MFC. I get along really well with Mark Pavelich. They have a great organization and I was really excited to sign a new deal with them.”
Ryan Ford. Photo courtesy of the Maximum Fighting Championship.
MMA on Tap has learned that welterweight prospect Ryan Ford will attempt to bounce back from his first professional loss when he takes on longtime veteran LaVerne Clark in the co-main event of Maximum Fighting Championship’s upcoming “Famous” show on September 26th in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Ford was upset by journeyman Pat Healy at MFC 17 last month, succumbing to a late third-round armbar after dominating Healy for two rounds. Ford, a training partner of current UFC middleweight contender Jason MacDonald, also scored consecutive submission wins over C.J. Fernandes and Pete Spratt earlier this year.
Clark, a veteran of the early days of the UFC, is currently riding a three-fight winning streak. Clark has recently been fighting exclusively out of the Courage Fighting Championships. He last scored a first-round TKO of Matt Kelly in June.
MFC 18 will also feature the promotional debut of midwestern product Joe Heiland, winner of his first four professional bouts, against an opponent yet to be determined. The event will be televised on both HDNet in the United States and on The Fight Network in Canada.