MMAWeekly is reporting that K-1 has tabled an offer of approximately 10 million pounds to purchase Cage Rage and all of its assets.
Sources close to Cage Rage have confirmed that K-1 has tabled an offer in the neighborhood of 10 million pounds as a takeover of the company and all its assets. The deal has apparently come about due in large part to the pending purchase of Pride FC by the UFC owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta and the severance of links between Cage Rage and Pride FC. Cage Rage has recently been somewhat of a feeder show for Pride FC with several fighters under contract to Pride FC fighting on Cage Rage events.
News and Notes
- If you didn’t see it already, Bill informed us yesterday via Bill Meltzer that Nobuyuki Sakakibara told several staff members of PRIDE USA that the company was in the process of being sold to Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta.
- K-1 and Elite XC parent company Pro Elite will work together to present K-1’s first MMA event in the US - DYNAMITE!! USA - on July 7th at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the home of the USC college football team. The fighters currently heavily rumored to be participating at the event are Royce Gracie, former pro wrestling superstar Brock Lesnar, and Hong Man Choi. A press conference will be held next week to discuss the event.
- Claude Patrick, the primary welterweight for the IFL’s Toronto Dragons will miss the remainder of the league’s season with a torn ACL and meniscus. Patrick will undergo surgery to repair the injuries on April 13th.
News and Notes
- UFC veteran Joao Pierini is facing two years in prison and life-long registration as a sex offender after pleading no contest to one felony and three misdemeanors counts of child molestation.
- Terry Etim (7-0) has been added to UFC 70: Nations Collide, his opponent is currently unknown.
- Rumors have been circulating stating that former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has dropped with fight with Antoni Hardonk for unknown reasons. The UFC site has removed Mir’s name from the UFC Fight Night card so it looks like the rumors were valid.
- K-1 veteran Jerome LeBanner has signed a new four-year deal with K-1. The contract is non-exclusive and it will allow LeBanner to pursue MMA in the future.
- Josh Neer, Jason Black and Joe Doerksen will all be fighting on the upcoming PRIDE 34: Kamikaze card.
Video of the Day
The Honolulu Advertiser is reporting that Frank Trigg, fresh off a victory over Kazuo Misaki at Pride 33 this past weekend, will defend his ICON Sport Middleweight Title against Robbie Lawler at the promotion’s event - ICON Sport: Epic on March 31st.
The event is said to be taking place at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Kazushi Sakuraba will be fighting Jurij Kiselov at K-1’s next Heros show on March 12th.
K-1 also announced two additional bouts, bringing the complete card thus far to this:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Jurij Kiselov
Vitor Riberio vs Ryuki Ueyama
Caol Uno vs Ali Ibrahim
Kazuyki Miyata vs Kultar Gill
Melvin Manhoef vs Yoshiki Takahashi
Yoshihisa Yamamoto vs Katsuyori Shibata
Hiroyuki Takaya vs Andre Dida
K-1 has announced four fights for their upcoming Hero’s card at Nagoya Rainbow Hall on March 12th.
Current Cage Rage Lightweight Champion Vitor Riberio will make his K-1 debut against Ryuki Ueyama. Riberio was originally supposed to make his K-1 debut last year at the organization’s lightweight tournament but was forced to pull out due to injury.
Kazuyki Miyata will take on Kultar Gill. Fans may find Gill semi-familar as he recently lost to Rodrigo Damm on BodogFight: St. Petersburg…
The two other bouts will feature Hiroyuki Takaya facing Andre Dida and UFC veteran Caol Uno returning to fight Ali Ibrahim. Obviously Uno’s participation in this event further cements the fact that the rumor he had signed with the UFC is obviously false.
News and Notes
- UFCmania is reporting that John Halverson will make his octagon debut against Roger Huerta. Also on the card will be Terry Martin versus Jorge Rivera.
- Yoshihiro Akiyama has been suspended indefinitely by K-1 after he was caught using an oil-based substance in his fight against Kazushi Sakuraba.
- Here is what will be on ‘Inside the UFC’ this Thursday…
Rogan will sit down with UFC light heavyweight contender Rashad Evans.
He’ll talk to Randy Couture about Pros vs. Joes.
Fans will get to take a look at the UFC’s newest ring girl, Ali Sonoma.
The result of the New Year’s Eve bout between Kazushi Sakuraba and Yoshihiro Akiyama at K-1 Premium 2006 Dynamite!! has been changed from a TKO win for Akiyama to a no contest after officials found that Sakuraba’s inability to grasp Akiyama was due to a skin moisturizer Akiyama had applied before the bout for cosmetic purposes.
Sakuraba complained to the referee several times during the fight about Akiyama’s skin but nothing was done until after the fight when Sakuraba and his camp filed a formal protest.
There was also some controversy surrounding Akiyama’s gloves which didn’t sport the regulation logo on them. After investigation, officials stated that the logo had simply fallen off and the gloves were regulation size.
K-1 has ruled that they will not punish Akiyama since he was unaware that the cream would cause that to happen however he will not receive his purse money for the victory. Akiyama has stated that he would like to fight Sakuraba again as soon as possible…
UFC and K-1 veteran Genki “The Neo-Samurai” Sudo has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.
He later explained to reporters that a neck injury suffered earlier this year forced him to rethink his future, and said he now plans to spend some time traveling the world and writing.
If Sudo is serious this is definitely disappointing. Sudo was one of the sports most charismatic fighters. He brought it all, exciting entrances, an unorthodox fighting style and a great personality.
Here are the full results from K-1 - Premium 2006 Dynamite!!
- Yukiya Naito def. Kim Dong Wook - TKO (Punches)
- Andy Ologun def. Ken Kaneko - Decision (Unanimous)
- Katsuhiko Nagata def. Shuichiro Katsumura - TKO (Punches)
- Taiei Kin def. Tokimitsu Ishizawa - KO (Head Kick)
- Hideo Tokoro def. Royler Gracie - Decision (Unanimous)
- Paulo Cesar Silva def. Chad Rowan - Submission (Kimura)
- Genki Sudo def. Damacio Page - Submission (Triangle Choke)
- Norifumi Yamamoto def. Istvan Majoros - TKO (Punches)
- Hong Man Choi def. Bobby Ologun - TKO (Punches)
- Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Kazushi Sakuraba - TKO (Punches)
It has been announced that K-1 has signed top lightweight Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro and he will fight for K-1 Hero’s in 2007.