K.J. Noons. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
When reports began circulating over the past few weeks that a much-anticipated rematch between EliteXC lightweight champion K.J. Noons and Nick Diaz could place on October 4th on CBS, Diaz’s camp quickly stated that there was a strong possibility that Noons’ camp may not accept the fight if it was offered.
It turns out that they were right.
According to MMA Weekly, EliteXC VP Jared Shaw has revealed that Noons’ management camp refuses to return any of EliteXC’s phone calls in an attempt to set up his next title defense. Even more unfortunate for the organization is Noons’ rumored to be more interested in a return to boxing rather than continuing his winning ways in MMA.
“Nick Diaz is the number one contender and K.J. Noons should step up and be the champion that we think he is and take this fight,” Shaw said. “Nick Diaz will take this fight any place, anywhere. (Noons’ management) won’t even return our calls. I don’t understand it. This fight on CBS is maximum exposure and the opportunity for maximum sponsorship dollars, way more than he could make on Showtime. At this point, I question his management.”
Shane Del Rosario. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
EliteXC has confirmed two previously rumored bouts for the latest edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which will take place at the Chumash Casino in Santa Ynez, California. Undefeated heavyweight prospect Shane Del Rosario will attempt to stay undefeated against Jon Murphy while WEC veteran Erik Apple takes on Matt Makowski.
Del Rosario has won his first four professional bouts to start his career and remains unbeaten in ShoXC events, winning two consecutive fights. Del Rosario last earned a first-round TKO of Analu Brash at a ShoXC event in March. Prior to that, he submitted Amedeo Viola in October of last year.
Murphy has struggled as of late, dropping three out of his last four fights. He stepped up to the national stage when he took on Brett Rogers during EliteXC’s inaugural network television debut on CBS back in May. He was stopped in the first round by Rogers. Murphy also owns a knockout over UFC veteran Sherman Pendergarst.
Kimbo Slice. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
EliteXC officials are reportedly still in talks to decide who heavyweight sensation Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson should fight in the main attraction of the organization’s latest edition of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS, which will take place at the at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on October 4th.
The news comes from MMANews.com, who were informed by an EliteXC spokesperson that the promotion is preparing to announce Slice’s next opponent at some point over the next week or so. As of right now, there are apparently three different opponents on the table for Slice and at least two of them are well-known to mainstream fans.
Current rumors have the trio as being Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, or Brett Rogers. While Rogers was originally thought to be set in stone as Slice’s opponent following their post-fight press conference confrontation in May, it seems that EliteXC officials are looking to match Slice with another fighter that holds star power.
Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
While last month’s respective resignations of Gary Shaw and Doug DeLuca from ProElite weren’t anything to be too alarmed about, the mounting evidence concerning EliteXC’s parent company and it’s potential financial troubles certainly is.
Less than 24 hours after EliteXC’s planned “Showdown at the Pit” event on September 20th was abruptly cancelled, word comes now that England-based Cage Rage, which ProElite acquired in the fall of last year, has cancelled it’s latest “Contenders” event according to MMA Weekly.
“We cancelled the show in order to focus on the November contenders show, which will be the first time we have done a live contenders show in full direct to TV,” Cage Rage figurehead Dave O’Donnell said in the report. “It made no sense to spread ourselves thin on this occasion.”
Jared Hamman. Photo by Tom Casino/EliteXC.
While their first bout in April ended in controversy and left many lingering questions, Friday’s battle between Jared Hamman and Poai Suganuma did anything but as Hamman stopped Suganuma via first-round TKO in front of an enthusiastic crowd at the Table Mountain Casino in Friant, California.
Early on, it appeared as if Suganuma was about to have Hamman’s number again as the Hawaiian dropped Hamman and battered him with punches on the ground during the fight’s opening moments. However the tide began to turn once Hamman successfully executed a judo throw that sent Suganuma stumbling to the canvas.
Hamman quickly took his opponent’s back but Suganuma was quick to shake Hamman off of him and stand up. Hamman proceeded to stun Suganuma with a straight right and then knocked him down with a combination. Suganuma bounced up and tried to take the fight to the ground but Hamman was relentless with his strikes, pounding away on Suganuma with hammer fists until the referee stepped in to stop the fight.
Jared Hamman and Poai Suganuma. Photo by Tom Casino/EliteXC.
We will be going live at 11:00 PM ET tonight with live results of the latest edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which will take place at the Table Mountain Casino in Friant, California. The show’s televised main card will air on Showtime starting at 11 PM ET.
A rematch between light heavyweight prospects Poai Suganuma and Jared Hamman will serve as the night’s main event. The first bout between the two in April ended in controversy after Suganuma knocked Hamman down with a flying knee just fifteen seconds into their fight despite an immediate protest from Hamman. Additional main card bouts include Cyrille Diabate vs. Jaime Fletcher and Fabricio Camoes vs. Sammy Morgan.
Be sure to leave comments throughout the night. Detailed live results are after the jump.
Joey Villasenor vs. Murilo Rua. Photo by Jon Swenson.
It seems that EliteXC’s planned “Showdown at the Pit” event, which was slated to take place at the University of New Mexico on September 20th, has reportedly been cancelled. The event was advertised as being headlined by former EliteXC middleweight title challenger Joey Villasenor.
EliteXC play-by-play announcer Mauro Ranallo and John Pollock of The Fight Network broke the news this afternoon. When contacted by MMA on Tap close to 20 minutes ago, EliteXC officials were unable to comment on the report.
Ranallo apparently discussed the situation on The Fight Network’s daily radio show. If anyone out there heard what he had to say, please give us a recap in the form of a comment or e-mail. We will have more information on this as it becomes available.
Poai Suganuma and Jared Hamman. Photo by Tom Casino/EliteXC.
The official weigh-in results for tonight’s ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which will take place at the Table Mountain Casino in Friant, California, are below. All fighters successfully made weight. The show’s televised main card will air on Showtime starting at 11 PM ET. Additional pictures are after the jump. Breakdown of the Showtime fights here.
A rematch between light heavyweight prospects Poai Suganuma and Jared Hamman will serve as the night’s main event. The first bout between the two in April ended in controversy after Suganuma knocked Hamman down with a flying knee just fifteen seconds into their fight. Referee Jon Schorle quickly waved off the bout but Hamman immediately got back to his feet and began protesting, forcing then company figurehead Gary Shaw to guarantee a rematch between the two.
Jared Hamman (203.5 lbs) vs. Poai Suganuma (205 lbs)
Cyrille Diabate (203.5 lbs) vs. Jaime Fletcher (204 lbs)
Fabricio Camoes (161 lbs) vs. Sammy Morgan (160 lbs)
Debi Purcell (129 lbs) vs. Rosi Sexton (130 lbs)
Keith Berry (191 lbs) vs. Ray Lizama (190.5 lbs)
David Douglas (154.5 lbs) vs. Marcus Levesser (154.5 lbs)
Lucas Gamaza (169.5 lbs) vs. Kenny Johnson (171 lbs)
Jesse Brock (139 lbs) vs. Josh Rave (131 lbs)
Ralph Lopez (148.5 lbs) vs. Roberto Vargas (150 lbs)
Katrina Alendale (138.5 lbs) vs. Melanie LaCroix (139 lbs)
Vitor Belfort. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has been forced to pull out of his scheduled middleweight bout against Matt Lindland at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show on October 11th due to a lingering hand injury that will leave him unable to compete.
Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio informed MMA Weekly of Belfort’s withdraw late last night and MMA on Tap has since confirmed the change with Belfort’s camp. The Brazilian suffered a broken hand in the first round of his knockout win over Terry Martin on July 19th. Belfort was originally optimistic about being able to compete this fall, but the opinions of a handful of doctors have apparently now changed his mind.
“Vitor is out, I spoke with him I think yesterday and he told me,” Atencio said. “Actually, it was on Tuesday we had a conversation for about an hour or so, and yeah, I guess he broke his hand in two places is what he told me and he had been having 2, 3 and 4 opinions on it. He finally got the opinion that he wanted I guess and they told him to step out for a while.”
While a replacement opponent for Lindland has not yet been found, rumors are now circulating that EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields would consider moving up in weight to face the former Olympic wrestler should EliteXC officials permit him to take the fight. However neither side has been very open about the possibility or the potential ongoing negotiations.
Wilson Reis. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com
Rising prospect Wilson Reis will reportedly take on a streaking Bao Quach for the vacant EliteXC featherweight title at the organization’s scheduled “Showdown at the Pit” event on September 20th at the University of New Mexico.
The news comes from Sam Caplan of Five Ounces of Pain, whom Wilson informed of the finalized bout yesterday. The fight is expected to take place on the televised portion of the Showtime broadcast. It was previously rumored as happening last week but Reis’ camp cited concerns over Quach’s interest in the bout.
Reis has won his first five bouts to begin his professional career. He joined the ranks of EliteXC in January of this year, submitting Zach Makovsky at a ShoXC event. Reis went on to win his next two bouts under the EliteXC banner, submitting Justin Robbins in May and most recently, scoring a unanimous decision over Bryan Caraway at EliteXC’s “Unfinished Business” show last month.
Quach brings an impressive nine-fight winning streak into the fight. He knocked off both Bobby McMaster and UFC veteran Doug Evans in consecutive ShoXC bouts before winning his two most recent fights outside of the organization. Quach won a hard-fought decision over Mark Oshiro at ICON Sport’s “Hard Times” event earlier this month.