Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Despite losing his last five fights and being unable to earn a victory in the last four years, Ken Shamrock believes that his upcoming fight against Kimbo Slice on October 4 is a chance to show a national television audience that he still has what it takes to be competitive in the world of mixed martial arts.
On a teleconference Thursday afternoon, Shamrock apologized for his recent losing streak, but promised that he plans to show the critics that he has learned from his defeats and has enough in the tank to knock off EliteXC’s fastest-rising star.
“I’m gonna apologize, right here and now, for my last couple performances in MMA,” Shamrock said. “I have my reasons but they are just excuses. I’ll tell you this though - on October 4, I will shut everybody up and make amends for those fights by putting Kimbo’s lights out.”
Seth Petruzelli. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
UFC veteran Seth Petruzelli will reportedly take on three-time ShoXC competitor Aaron Rosa in a scheduled preliminary bout at EliteXC’s upcoming third edition of “Saturday Night” Fights according to Five Ounces of Pain.
The event will be broadcast on CBS and will take place at the BankAtlantic Center, in Sunrise, Florida on October 4. Rosa reportedly confirmed the matchup himself over the weekend.
Petruzelli, a cast member on the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, was released from the UFC following consecutive losses to Matt Hamill and Wilson Gouveia. Petruzelli most recently stopped Sean Sallee at a Knight Fest show in October of last year.
After winning his EliteXC debut, a first-round TKO of Jefferson Silva last July, Rosa went on to drop his last two bouts inside the promotion. He was submitted by rising light heavyweight prospect Jared Hamman in October 2007 and then lost a unanimous decision to Jaime Fletcher back in March. Rosa last defeated Ron Fields at Adrenaline MMA’s debut show on June 14.
Former UFC and Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock gives his predictions on the main card fights that will take place at EliteXC’s upcoming “Heat” event on October 4 at the BankAtlantic Center, in Sunrise, Florida and is televised on CBS. Above Shamrock gives a quick breakdown of the card’s featured fights. After the jump, he explains how his brother Ken, can easily defeat Kimbo Slice.
Kimbo Slice. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
It’s exactly one month until the biggest event in EliteXC’s history and as of right now, one month until the day where EliteXC can tell itself that it was the beginning of the end.
Let’s look at the facts: Kimbo Slice will take on Ken Shamrock on network television on October 4. The star power of the two will draw millions and millions of viewers to watch professional mixed martial arts, potentially further pushing the sport to mainstream acceptance.
On top of that, EliteXC could easily save themselves from further financial jeopardy by garnering a good rating. CBS officials would likely have no problem funding the needed money EliteXC is looking for to help them survive through the end of the year.
So why aren’t they doing anything to promote it?
Photo courtesy of TitoOrtiz.com.
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz was featured as a panelist on last night’s edition of Inside MMA on HDNet and discussed his current state as a free agent in the world of mixed martial arts following the conclusion of his contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship earlier this month.
Despite his ongoing feud with UFC President Dana White, Ortiz admits that he is actually still negotiating with his long-time home, although a clause in his contract may be giving the UFC more room to talk to him than he would like.
Even after all of the drama, Ortiz says that there is still a small chance he may end up signing with the UFC after all.
“EliteXC - possibility, Affliction - possibility, the UFC - a small chance of that happening,” Ortiz said when asked about where he might end up. “You know I’m taking this stuff with Dana White and shoving it aside and moving on with my life. I’m going to wash my hands [of it] and make sure that my future is going to be very, very, very… great.”
Bao Quach. Photo by Esther Lin.
Bao Quach and Jon Murphy have both withdrawn from their respective bouts at the latest edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which is scheduled to take place at the Chumash Casino in Santa Ynez, California on September 26th, according to reports by Five Ounces of Pain and MMA Junkie.
Quach, who was slated to take on skilled grappler Wilson Reis for EliteXC’s vacant featherweight title, has been forced off the card after suffering a “facial injury” during a recent training session. A timetable for his return is unknown at this time.
MMA on Tap has since confirmed with EliteXC Vice President Jared Shaw that King of the Cage flyweight champion Abel Cullum will move up in weight to challenge Reis for the belt.
Murphy’s manager, East Coast fight promoter Ed Hsu, has also stated that Murphy has withdrawn from the show due to unknown reasons. His opponent, Shane Del Rosario, is now expected to face Carl Seumanutafa.
Nick Diaz. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Days after EliteXC lightweight champion K.J. Noons issued a formal statement to the media concerning his reasoning behind turning down a proposed title defense against Nick Diaz, Cesar Gracie, Diaz’s longtime trainer, has posted a response on his fight team’s official website, Graciefighter.com.
The post breaks down Noons’ statement piece-by-piece, offering the camp’s thoughts on a variety of things that Noons elaborated on, including his lack of promotion by EliteXC, his boxing career, his salary, and his father among other things.
Below are some excerpts from their response.
Diaz’s camp on Noons decision to turn down the Diaz bout to pursue his boxing career despite wanting fight Eddie Alvarez instead: “Earth to KJ; you don’t have a boxing career. No one in the boxing world knows who you are. Another MMA company would have paid you less and not given you a title shot, especially when you were 1-1. If you will not fight Diaz due to a breach of contract by EliteXC then why would you fight Alvarez for the same terms?”
K.J. Noons. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Days after being slammed by EliteXC management for deciding not to accept a proposed title defense against Nick Diaz, EliteXC lightweight champion K.J. Noons has issued a formal statement regarding the situation to the media.
The complete, unedited statement can be read after the jump.
Ken Shamrock. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
“Honestly, I think I can test him anywhere. He’s got big, heavy hands. Everyone says he punches hard and he probably does. But again, he doesn’t punch properly, in my opinion. He swings his hands, he moves his body back and forth trying to get as much power as he can, but there’s really no snap behind it. You can usually see the punches coming. I’m going to do what I need to do. If it goes to the ground, I’ll probably break his leg. I mean, no question. I will break his leg. If he gives it to me, I’m going to break it.”
- UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock gives his thoughts on the potential outcome of his anticipated bout against heavyweight sensation Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson on October 4 on CBS to Sherdog.com.
Shamrock is correct. If the fight does indeed go to the ground, he has a massive advantage. His submission skills are legendary and he could easily break Slice’s leg if he wanted to. However Shamrock’s last handful of bouts put his comments in question. Will Ken push his pride aside and not stand with Kimbo?
Keith Berry vs. Ray Lizama. Photo by Tom Casino/EliteXC.
The August 15 edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which saw Jared Hamman dramatically avenge his prior loss to Poai Suganuma by stopping him in the first round, scored it’s highest rating to date according to the print edition of Dave Meltzer‘s Wrestling Observer:
The 8/15 ShoXC card did a 0.66 rating on Showtime and 175,000 viewers. That’s the best rating in the history of ShoXC and that’s a successful number for a show with no names and no promotional effort put into it.
Meltzer is right in terms of the promotional effort. In the weeks leading up to the event, I don’t remember seeing any commercials at all on Showtime. The next show on Sept. 26 should probably do even better with Wilson Reis and Bao Quach headlining, further pushing the show to ShoBox type of standards.
HT: MMA Payout