Dave Herman. Photo by Esther Lin/CombatLifestyle.com
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Dave “Pee Wee” Herman will take on former “Ultimate Fighter” contestant Kerry Schall in a bout that will headline the next edition of ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series, which takes place this Friday night at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Indiana and will be televised live on Showtime.
Additional main card bouts will feature banished ‘TUF’ competitor Jason Guida making his EliteXC debut against Mamed Khalidows and King of the Cage welterweight champion Anthony Lapsley taking on Mike Stumpf.
The complete card for the event is after the jump.
K.J. Noons. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
After being stripped of his EliteXC lightweight title, K.J. Noons has stated that he believes that he has now become a free agent in a new interview with Sherdog.com. Noons’ belt was taken away after he refused to accept a title defense against Nick Diaz, whom Noons had defeated in November of last year.
“I’m a free agent,” Noons said in the article. “Since I’ve been stripped, I’m no longer the champion and I don’t owe them the fights (Noons says that he had two fights remaining on his deal if he were champion). I owed them fights for being a champion.”
EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen thinks otherwise. According to Lappen, Noons still has two fights remaining on his current contract regardless, but isn’t sure whether or not the promotion will have the part-time professional boxer fight for them again.
Seth Petruzelli. Photo by Esther Lin/CombatLifestyle.com.
The fallout from EliteXC’s “Heat” show this past weekend seems to be calming down, but the accusations that the organization may have attempted to bribe Seth Petruzelli to keep his fight with Kimbo Slice standing with an extra bonus are just heating up.
In his first response since Petruzelli’s revelation and quick retraction of his comments yesterday on an Orlando, Florida radio station, EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen has denied offering any kind of payment to Petruzelli in a report by Sherdog.com.
“Obviously we didn’t pay [Petruzelli] to stand,” Lappen is quoted as saying. “Kimbo had trained for months to fight a guy who’s fighting on the ground. We don’t care if people stand or take people down or what. It doesn’t matter to us. All we want is an exciting fight.”
Antonio Silva. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
The California State Athletic Commission will hear the appeal of current EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva’s positive test for steroids in a Los Angeles, California municipal building on October 22 according to a press release issued by the commission yesterday.
Silva tested positive for the banned steroid Boldenone following his second-round TKO victory over Justin Eilers at EliteXC’s “Unfinished Business” show on July 26. While the organization has decided not to strip him of his title, Silva still faces a one-year suspension and a $2,500 despite pleading his innocence if his appeal is shot down.
Also announced yesterday was the second positive steroids test for John George, who last competed at a California Xtreme Fighting event on June 14. George becomes the first athlete in the state of California to test positive for a repeat violation and have his license revoked. He will be permitted to apply for reinstatement next September but will also have to be required to appear in front of the commission for a vote.
Seth Petruzelli. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
It’s already been a bad start to the week for EliteXC because of the demise of Kimbo Slice and unfortunately for them, it could be getting worse. In an interview this morning with Orlando, Florida’s 104.1 FM “Monsters” morning show, Seth Petruzelli discussed his quick win over Slice on Saturday night.
Normally it wouldn’t be a big deal, but it was what Petruzelli said close to ten minutes into the interview that has caught the attention of many in the mixed martial arts community this evening. According to Petruzelli’s original comments on the show, EliteXC officials offered to pay him extra if he promised to stand and strike with Slice.
“My original plan was to use push kicks and have him think that I’m going to throw them and then rush in on him and take him down,” Petruzelli said on the show. “I have kind of an awkward style so I knew that I would do alright on the feet with him. The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money, to stand and trade with him. They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way.”
Andrei Arlovski. Photo by Tom Casino, EliteXC/CBS.
The Florida State Boxing Commission today announced the official list of fighter salaries stemming from this past weekend’s EliteXC: “Heat” event, which saw former UFC fighter Seth Petruzelli step in as a late injury replacement for Ken Shamrock and stop popular heavyweight prospect Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson with strikes in just 14 seconds.
In terms of the fighter salaries, remember that this is only the base salary that a fighter received. Bonuses, deductions, and other undisclosed fees are not included. The salaries of both Slice and Petruzelli were reportedly re-negotiated before the two agreed to meet each other prior to Saturday night’s show.
The full list of salaries:
Seth Petruzelli ($50,000) def. Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson ($500,000)
Jake Shields ($50,000) def. Paul “Semtex” Daley ($12,000)
Andrei Arlovski ($500,000) def. Roy Nelson ($80,000)
Gina Carano ($25,000) def. Kelly Kobold ($6,000)
Benji Radach ($30,000) def. Murilo “Ninja” Rua ($35,000)
Cris Cyborg ($8,000) def. Yoko Takahashi ($2,000)
Conor Heun ($5,000) def. Edson Berto ($5,000)
Mikey Gomez ($4,000) def. Lorenzo Borgomeo ($1,500)
Bryan Hamade ($1,000) def. David Gomez ($1,000)
Nicolae Cury ($1,500) def. Jorge Bouchat ($1,000)
Seth Petruzelli. Photo by Tom Casino, EliteXC/CBS.
After a weekend without a steady internet connection because of work going on in my area, I hopped on the computer this morning and immediately noticed the headlines concerning Seth Petruzelli’s quick and easy victory over Kimbo Slice this weekend.
They were “shocking” to say the least. Not shocking because of the amount of coverage the fight got, that was expected in my opinion, but shocking because people are actually treating Petruzelli’s destruction of Slice as surprising.
Give me a break…
The second that Petruzelli was announced as Ken Shamrock’s replacement opponent, I immediately turned to my friends and told them to expect a Kimbo Slice loss. Joe Rogan did the same thing. Although I’m sure no one expected Slice to go down in just 14 seconds, his first professional defeat was clearly coming against a much more experienced and credentialed fighter than he.
Tito Ortiz. Photo courtesy of TitoOrtiz.com.
After flirting with the idea of signing with a number of promotions including Affliction, the American Fight League, and even his former employer, the UFC, for months now, it seems that Tito Ortiz could end up inking a deal with EliteXC as soon as next week.
Ortiz revealed that he was very close to potentially signing a deal with the organization during it’s network television broadcast of “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS over the weekend.
“I see Andrei Arlovski competing in (EliteXC) now so the big names are starting to come over,” Ortiz said. “I’m going to exercise my right to be a free agent and we’re working really close… we’re about a week a way from signing the deal and I know that my fans are all going to be excited to see me back in the cage.”
Eddie Alvarez. Photo courtesy of AlvarezFight.com.
Following K.J. Noons being stripped of the EliteXC lightweight title last month, Nick Diaz and rising contender Eddie Alvarez will now compete for the vacant championship at the organization’s scheduled November 8 show in Reno, Nevada.
EliteXC officially announced the bout during Saturday night’s telecast of “Heat” on CBS. The November event will be televised live on Showtime and will be headlined by EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler defending his belt in a rematch against Joey Villasenor.
Since suffering a second-round TKO loss due to a cut to Noons last year, Diaz has reeled off three straight victories - two of them in EliteXC. After defeating Muhsin Corbbrey at EliteXC’s “Return of the King” event in June, Diaz followed up with a wild TKO win over journeyman Thomas Denny on July 26.
Alvarez meanwhile has been boosting his stock with a couple of impressive victorious over highly ranked lightweights while fighting for DREAM over in Japan. Alvarez earned an unanimous decision over Joachim Hansen in the opening round of DREAM’s inaugural lightweight grand prix and then defeated Tatsuya Kawajiri in a fight-of-the-year candidate to earn a spot in the tournament finals before an eye injury forced him to withdraw from the title opportunity.
Gina Carano. Photo by Tom Casino, EliteXC/CBS.
The numbers are in for EliteXC’s latest effort and it seems that the organization did pretty well with the network television return of Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano.
According to CBS executive Kelly Kahl, who was contacted by MMA on Tap early this morning, “Heat” pulled in approximately 4.3 million viewers, which is an obvious increase from the dismal 2.6 million that watched “Unfinished Business” on July 26.
The 4.3 rating is expected to fluctuate over the next couple of days due to still-incoming numbers and the fact that Saturday night’s broadcast went approximately 20 minutes over it’s scheduled 11 PM ET ending time. (The overlap also featured Seth Petruzelli’s 14 second TKO of Kimbo Slice) In addition, EliteXC pulled in a live gate of $826,433 and a decent attendance total of 9.414 with 7,723 tickets paid for and the rest complimentary according to EliteXC figurehead Jeremy Lappen at the show’s post-fight press conference.
Bottom line: While Slice’s star power may have been damaged, he’ll still draw viewers for his next fight, and EliteXC has potentially bought itself a little more time in the MMA promoting business with a solid rating and possible financial help from CBS.