Coty Wheeler

Quick Hits: Belfort Reportedly Added to Bitetti Combat Card, Monson Pleads Guilty & More


Vitor Belfort. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com

— Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort has reportedly been added to a star-studded card being put on by Bitetti Combat on September 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Belfort is said to be facing Europe Top Team’s Moise Rimbon, despite repeated rumors that he is all but set to be joining the UFC following last week’s demise of Affliction Entertainment. [JB Online via Bloody Elbow]

— One-time UFC heavyweight title challenger Jeff Monson pleaded guilty to malicious mischief in Washington court today after being caught spray-painting an anarchist symbol on the Washington state Capitol in an ESPN the Magazine photo earlier this year. Monson faces a potential 90-day jail sentence, a $21,894 fine, and the loss of his passport, which will now prevent from traveling overseas to fight in the near future. [Cagewriter]

Continue reading "Quick Hits: Belfort Reportedly Added to Bitetti Combat Card, Monson Pleads Guilty & More"

Condit Retains; Varner and Torres Grab Gold


Carlos Condit weighs-in for WEC 32: Condit vs Prater. Photo property of World Extreme Cagefighting.

New Mexico native Carlos Condit avenged the first loss of his career and retained his WEC welterweight title as he submitted Carlo Prater in front of a supportive crowd of 4,648 inside Rio Rancho’s Santa Ana Star Center last night.

The fight was one of three title bouts that headlined World Extreme Cagefighting’s first venture outside of Las Vegas since UFC parent company Zuffa purchased the promotion in the fall of 2006.

After exchanging a series of leg kicks with Condit, Prater was able to slam his opponent down to the mat in impressive fashion. However Condit immediately went on the offensive, attempting a series of submissions that included tries for a triangle, armbar, and a guillotine.

While sitting inside of Condit’s guard, Prater (21-6-1) made the mistake of digging his head into Condit’s stomach, allowing the hometown hero to sink in a fight-ending guillotine from the bottom. After the fight, Condit (22-4) pointed out that it would be impossible for him to be uncomfortable fighting off of his back at this point.

“I’m very comfortable on my back, like I’ve proven before,” Condit said during a post-fight interview with Frank Mir. “All my wins in the WEC so far have come by submission. I’m not complaining at all.”

While Condit was able to keep his belt around his waist, the two other champions defending their titles didn’t fair so well.

Team Punishment’s Rob McCullough defended multiple takedown attempts while not mounting much of his well-known offense during the first two rounds against Jamie Varner, who had recently converted over from the UFC’s lightweight division.

Varner’s early scored takedowns and aggressiveness put him ahead on points going into the third round. However it was Varner who was on the wrong end of a right hook courtesy of McCullough. After the blow knocked his mouthpiece out, Varner intelligently asked referee Steve Mazzagatti if he could have it back in his mouth, a decision that ultimately gave Varner more time to recover from the shot.

When the fight was restarted, Varner (14-2) rushed McCullough (15-4) out of the gate with a flurry of lefts and rights. A stunned McCullough continued to take unanswered shots, going down to a knee twice before finally being finished off with a devastating straight right that forced Mazzagatti to step in and save a bloodied and battered “Razor” Rob.

Varner, the newly-crowned lightweight champion, revealed his plan to strike against the renowned Muay-Thai specialist after the fight.

“I grew up boxing,” said Varner,”. “Everybody called me a wrestler. He expected me to wrestle. So I kind of put my wrestling on the back-burner during this training camp and really worked on my striking. It really paid off tonight.”

Continue reading "Condit Retains; Varner and Torres Grab Gold"

WEC 30 Medical Suspensions

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released the official list of medical suspensions stemming from WEC 30:

Richard Crunkilton: Medically suspended until October 20th with no contact until October 6th.
Rani Yahya - Medically suspended until November 5th with no contact until October 20th.
Jeremiah Billington: Medically suspended until October 6th with no contact until September 27th
Jesse Forbes: Medically suspended until October 20th with no contact until October 6th.
Coty Wheeler: Medically suspended until October 20th with no contact until October 6th.

 

WEC 30 Fighter Salaries

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released the official fighter salaries from WEC 30:

Rob McCullough: $24,000
John Alessio: $22,000
Miguel Torres: $20,000
Brian Stann: $10,000
Rich Crunkilton: $10,000
Chase Beebe: $10,000
Marcus Hicks: $8,000
Donald Cerrone: $6,000
Bryan Baker: $6,000
Blas Avena: $6,000
Rani Yahya: $6,000
Jeff Bedard: $4,000
Ian McCall: $4,000
Jesse Forbes: $4,000
Kenneth Alexander: $3,000
Marcelo Brito: $3,000
Scott McAfee: $2,000
Joe Benoit: $2,000
Coty Wheeler: $2,000
Jeremiah Billington: $2,000

Total Payroll: $154,000

WEC 30: McCullough vs Crunkilton Live Blog

Tonight we will be going live at 6:30 PM EST, covering WEC 30: McCullough vs Crunkilton with one of our patented live blogs. Be sure to leave some comments throughout the night…

While you are waiting for the event to start, feel free to check out our coverage of the event which includes predictions, weigh-in results, and much more:

WEC 30 Weigh-In Results
WEC 30 Media Roundup
Alessio Wants Condit’s Belt
WEC 30: McCullough vs Crunkilton Card
Jens Pulver Injured

Main Card:

Rob McCullough vs Richard Crunkilton
Chase Beebe vs Rani Yahya
Brian Stann vs Jeremiah Billington
Jeff Bedard vs Miguel Torres

Preliminary Bouts:

John Alessio vs Marcelo Brito
Marcus Hicks vs Scott McAfee
Jesse Forbes vs Bryan Baker
Donald Cerrone vs Kenneth Alexander
Blas Avena vs Joe Benoit
Ian McCall vs Coty Wheeler

Continue reading "WEC 30: McCullough vs Crunkilton Live Blog"