Matt Veach. Photo courtesy of H.I.T. Squad.
Maximum Fighting Championship lightweight title-holder Antonio McKee will be unable to defend his title at MFC 28: Supremacy due to a knee injury.
Drew Fickett, McKee’s scheduled opponent for the co-main event, will maintain his spot on the card in a showdown against replacement Matt Veach (15-2). The Fickett-Veach encounter will be a three-round bout contested at a catchweight of 160 pounds.
“I’m disappointed not to be facing McKee for the title but it’s only a matter of time until I get my hands on the MFC lightweight belt,” said Fickett.
The World Cagefighting Organization headed by Bruce Bellocchi has teamed with Valor Fighting, Xcess Fighting and Primal MMA to produce one of the greatest MMA cards seen in years! Heading the lineup is Renato “Babalu” Sobral as he makes his long awaited stateside return since his UFC departure. Babalu will take on veteran Lion’s Den fighter, Vernon “Tiger” White.
The star studded undercard features two former UFC Heavyweight Champions. Former UFC Heavyweight Champion, Mark “The Smashing Machine” Kerr’s return to the cage as he continues his comeback against K1 legend, Rick Roufus who is making his MMA debut. Then the bad blood boils over as former UFC Heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguiz finally meets Mike Kyle.
Also in action is Joe “Diesel” Riggs as he takes on Gracie Barra fighter Gustavo “Ximu” Machado. Wesley “Cabbage” Correia returns taking on veteran Jimmy “The Titan” Ambriz. Tiki Ghosn battles it out against Team Quest’s Dave Gardner. UFC Veteran’s, David “The Crow” Loiseau and Drew Fickett will also see action as will Antonio McKee.
“My goal is to compete with the big boys. I think you can see by the card we have put together that we are making a statement. The fans want great fights. We’re giving it to them” - Bruce Bellocchi, of The WCO.
Renato Sobral vs. Vernon White
Mark Kerr vs. Rick Roufus
Ricco Rodriguez vs. Mike Kyle
Joe Riggs vs. Gustavo Machado
Wesley Correia vs. Jimmy Ambriz
Tiki Ghosn vs. Dave Gardner
David Loiseau vs. TBA
Drew Fickett vs. TBA
Antonio McKee vs. TBA
The California State Athletic Commission released the official fight card for No Limit Fighting’s “Brawl For It All” this Saturday at the Cow Palace in San Francisco earlier today. The release came at the hands of numerous complaints from various fans and officials that the promotion was falsely advertising fighters to be participating on the card.
We reported that Nick Diaz had no knowledge of a scheduled fight against Mark Moreno at the event earlier this month.
Here the official card according to the CSAC:
Vince Lucero vs. Cain Velasquez
Alex Serdyukov vs. Mark Moreno
Ruben Villarreal vs. Brad Imes
Jake Hattan vs. Charles Bennett
Matt Major vs. Marcus Gaines
Kyle Rideau vs. Khomkrit Niimi
Bo Cantrell vs. Bryan Pardoe
Gabe Rivas vs. Gabe Ruediger
Van Oscar Penvaroff vs. Eric Jacob
Shawn Klarcyk vs. Ed Lavelle
Arron Carvalo vs. Andrew Martinez
Chris David vs. Michael Pedro
The list of fighters that No Limit Fighting’s originally advertised as participating and are now not listed are as follows: Jeff Monson, Nick Diaz, Chris Marez, Mia St. John, Javier Vazquez, Leland Chapman, and Antonio McKee among others.
A little ridiculous if you ask me. Let’s hope it’s the last promotion run by these idiots, who I’ve heard includes Shannon Ritch as one of the promoters. Not a surprise if that is true.
MMA on Tap has learned that Mark Miller has been forced to pull out of his scheduled bout against Jay Hieron after suffering a hand injury during a recent training session.
Miller will be replaced by Brad Blackburn. Because of the switch, the seedings have also been shifted. Blackburn will take on Delson Heleno while Hieron will now take on Pat Healy.
I was able to get in touch with Hieron and asked him for his thoughts about Miller’s withdrawl.
“It’s disappointing but there’s nothing that can be done about it really,” said Hieron. “It is what it is. Injuries are common in MMA. It’s something that you can’t prevent. This isn’t the first time this has happened for the Grand Prix either. I was supposed to fight Antonio and then that got scrapped. Now I’m fighting Pat instead of Miller. It doesn’t matter who it is. I’m ready to go for whatever.”
Nick Diaz was interviewed by Sherdog columnist Jordan Breen during his weekly radio show earlier today and denied having any knowledge of a scheduled bout against Mark Moreno at No Limit Fighting’s Brawl for it All event on October 20th.
This is the infamous event at The Cow Palace that got Antonio McKee released from the IFL.
NLF is currently displaying this poster on it’s official website with a number of notable fighters said to be fighting on the card:
I wonder if any of these other fighters know they are fighting. We’ll continue to follow this story…
NEW YORK - Pat Healy of the Nevada Lions will replace Antonio McKee of the Tokyo Sabres in the welterweight division of the 2007 IFL World Grand Prix, the individual all-star competition for the International Fight League, the world?s number one mixed martial arts league. The semifinals will be held on Saturday, Nov. 3 at the Sears Centre in Chicago and the finals will take place on Saturday, Dec. 29 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.
Healy, who had been the 170-lb. alternate after a fine regular season training under Lions? Head Coach and MMA legend Ken Shamrock, moves into the No. 4 seed and will take on top-seeded Delson Heleno of the New York Pitbulls in the semifinals. Jay Hieron of the Los Angeles Anacondas moves to the No. 2 seed and will compete against the No. 3 seed Mark Miller of the Red Bears.
?“Antonio made a decision regarding competition for another organization that was unacceptable based on his contract with the IFL,”? said Kurt Otto, IFL co-founder and commissioner. ?“We feel that in the best interests of the league, these actions preclude him from competing on the IFL World Grand Prix card. We are pleased that an outstanding athlete such as Pat Healy is prepared to step into the very competitive 170-lb. division.?”
McKee, who had qualified as the No. 2 seed, posted an unbeaten (3-0) regular season, helping the Sabres a 3-0 mark and berth in the IFL World Championship, where he defeated Heleno by decision on August 2 in the Sabres? 3-2 defeat on August 2 in New Jersey.