Josh Burkman will look to build on his two-fight winning streak when he steps in to the octagon with Karo Parisyan May 26th at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Burkman (8-3) found his way into the UFC after appearing on the UFC’s hit reality show ‘The Ultimate Fighter’. His appearance on the show was short lived when he broke his arm fighting Melvin Guillard. Since then Burkman has worked to solidify himself as a contender in the welterweight division going 4-1 with victories over Sam Morgan, Drew Fickett, Josh Neer and Chad Reiner. His sole UFC loss came to the hands of welterweight contender Jon Fitch.
Burkman’s opponent, Karo Parisyan (16-4), is coming off of a victory over Drew Fickett. Parisyan is 6-2 in the octagon and at one point he was slated to fight former champion Matt Hughes for the title before he was sidelined with an injury. With the injury, Parisyan lost his spot as the top contender in the UFC’s stacked welterweight division. Since returning to action, Parisyan has gone 2-1 with victories over Nick Thompson and Drew Fickett. Parisyan’s only loss came in a war with undefeated fighter Diego “Nightmare” Sanchez.
The Quebec Athletic Commission has changed Jonathan Goulet vs. Thomas Schulte to a no contest. Both Goulet and Schulte’s manager Sam Bean sent written requests to the QAC to have the decision overturned.
For those of you that don’t know what happened - let me fill you in. At TKO 28: Inevitable Goulet and Schulte battled on the canvas for the better part of the first round as Schulte was latched onto Goulet’s back. Late in the round the referee decided to stand the fight up and moments later Goulet charged forward connecting with a flurry of punches that sent Schulte to the canvas. The ensuing ground and pound was too much as Schulte was rocked but when the referee pounced to call the fight the bell had already sounded to end the first round. Goulet was declared the winner by TKO at 5:00 of the first.
If Goulet is able to beat Steve Vigneault at TKO 29: Repercussion, he will then rematch Schulte in what will be Goulet’s first title defense. I will try to get Goulet’s thoughts on the situation later today.
How does Diego Sanchez test positive for marijuana and no one finds out about it until now?
According to the OC Register, Sanchez tested positive after his win over Joe Riggs on December 13th at UFC Fight Night 7:
UFC welterweight contender Diego Sanchez tested positive for marijuana after his first-round KO over Joe Riggs on Dec. 13 at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station. Armando Garcia, the executive officer of the California State Athletic Commission, said Sanchez paid a $500 fine and served a three-month suspension, so he has been cleared to fight Josh Koscheck at UFC 69 on April 7 in Houston.
Here are results from the IFL weigh-ins that took place yesterday.
Clint Coronel (155) vs. Connor Huen (155)
Zack George (155) vs. Danny Suarez (155)
Condors (So. Calif.) vs. Sabres (Tokyo)
Adam Lynn (158 lbs) vs. Savant Young (155.5 lbs)
Rodrigo Ruas (170.5) vs. Antonio McKee (170)
Jeremy Williams (185) vs. Kazuhiro Hamanaka (184)
Justin Levens (197) vs. Vladmir Matyushenko (204.5)
Antoine Jaoude (235.5) vs. Wayne Cole (221)
Razorclaws (San Jose) vs. Anacondas (Los Angeles)
Brian Ebersole (202 lbs) vs. Alex Schoenauer (204.5 lbs)
Brian Foster (184) vs. Benji Radach (185)
Josh Odom (155) vs. Chris Horodecki (154)
Donnie Liles (170) vs. Jay Hieron (170.5)
Dan Christison (263) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (232)
The Fight Network is reporting that Thiago Alves has been suspended after testing postive for a banned substance during his post-fight drug test at UFC 66: Liddell vs. Ortiz II.
Dec. 30 UFC 66 contestant Thiago Alves – who scored a second round TKO over Tony DeSouza – was suspended for eight months and received a $5,500 fine (25% of his purse) after testing positive for a diuretic not approved by the Commission.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has announced two more fights set to take place at UFC 69: Shootout.
Kendall Grove will clash with Alan Belcher in a middleweight showdown. Grove is currently 2-0 in the UFC with victories over Ed Herman and Chris Price. Grove’s opponent, Alan Belcher, is 1-1 in the UFC with a victory over Jorge Santiago and a loss to middleweight contender Yushin Okami.
Also on the card will welterweight bout between Marcus Davis and Pete Spratt. Pete Spratt is currently 3-2 in the UFC with victories over Zach Light, Robbie Lawler and Jeremy Jackson. Marcus Davis is 2-1 in the UFC with his latest victory coming over Shonie Carter at UFC Fight Night 7.
News and Notes
- Icon Sport has announced that it has signed Renato Verissimo to a multi-fight deal. Verissimo will make his debut at the organization’s February 9th event…
- Jason “Mayhem” Miller is rumored to be on the next WEC card which will take place on March 24th.
- Team Quest member Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou has signed a multi-fight contract with Pride. He will make his debut at Pride 33 where he will take on Antonio Rogerio Nogueira…
A lot of interesting news and notes were brought to light after last night’s event were over…
- The Wrestling Observer reported last night in it’s live play-by-play of the fight that Diego Sanchez would tentatively be facing Josh Koscheck at the UFC’s event in April. (UFC 69 which will take place in Houston, Texas) MMA Weekly now has the fight listed as a rumor as well. It makes me wonder if something was said or at least shown on the video screen during the preliminary fights seeing how Wrestling Observer just plopped that note in there out of nowhere.
- Sean Salmon was rushed to the hospital last night right after the event was over. Those at the event said that he was motionless on the mat for upwards of seven minutes. He received a CAT scan that came up negative at the hospital and was released in the wee hours of the morning. He is doing fine and is now vacationing with his family.
- UFC President Dana White announced at the post-fight press conference that Hermes Franca would be getting a shot at Sean Sherk’s UFC Lightweight belt at some point during the summer when Sherk is able to fight again. Sherk is currently recovering from shoulder surgery that will keep him out of action for at least another month or two.
- The most interesting thing to come out of last night’s press conference was an exchange between Dana White and Rashad Evans that was reported by the Los Angeles Times.
Perhaps the most interesting exchange took place after the show at the press conference. When a reporter asked about a prospective match with Evans vs. Keith Jardine, who made a name for himself by knocking out Forrest Griffin on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White said that sounded like a great idea. Evans shot back that he trains regularly with Jardine in Albuquerque, and he would never fight him. White said that if he made the match, he’d fight him. Evans shot back that he would not, and the awkward exchange ended at that point.
Other fighters have put friendships aside to move up the rankings in the past… Will see it happen between these two in the near future?
News and Notes
- Last night’s results from UFC Fight Night Live for those that aren’t aware of them:
News and Notes
- Rage in the Cage has announced the finalized card for their event this Saturday night…
Rich Beecroft vs Gilbert Aldana
Lars Haven vs Bryan Pardoe
David Valadez vs Billy Terry
Jason Harris vs Jeff Horlacher
William Diaz vs Joe Cronin
Jeremy Floyd vs Ray Robinson
Robert Meehan vs Danny Martinez
Lyle Tenfingers vs George Hartman
Jason Parent vs Mike Mada
Tomas Rodriguez vs Joe Martin
Omur Corr vs Mike Peterson
Nick Smith vs Austin Pascucci
Doug Moore vs Derithe Harper
Ty Gilstrap vs Adam Alband
- Duane Ludwig till take on Shinya Kamuzawa at Ring of Fire 28: Evolution on February 28th…
- Benji Radach is the newest member of the IFL’s Los Angeles Anacondas. He will be fighting at middleweight for coach Bas Rutten.
- Shooto World Welterweight Champion Tatsuyva Kawajiri relinquished his title yesterday after announcing he would be able to defend his belt at the next Shooto event on February 17th because of a broken left thumb.
Miami Herald: Ultimate Fighter 2 winner Rashad Evans to main event local UFC event
Sherdog: Clanging Cajones