Trevor Prangley

MFC Announces Full Card for “Hard Knocks”


Trevor Prangley. Photo by Jon Swenson. Used with permission.

The Edmonton-based Maximum Fighting Championship has released the complete card for MFC 21: “Hard Knocks”, which will take place on May 15 at the River Cree Resort & Casino.

The show’s main event will feature UFC and Strikeforce veteran Trevor Prangley returning to action to challenge Emanuel Newton for his MFC light heavyweight title. Former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley will also battle California product Mike Cook in a featured attraction.

Additional main card bouts include former WEC and UFC title challenger John Alessio against Andrew Buckland, seasoned veteran Marvin Eastman facing Aron Lofton, and a light heavyweight clash between journeymen David Heath and Travis Galbraith.

The complete card for the event is as follows.

Main Card:

Emanuel Newton vs. Trevor Prangley (MFC Light Heavyweight Title)
Bobby Lashley vs. Mike Cook
John Alessio vs. Andrew Buckland
Marvin Eastman vs. Aron Lofton
David Heath vs. Travis Galbraith
Ryan Jimmo vs. Mychal Clark

Preliminary Bouts:

William Richey vs. Ryan Fortin
Jeremy Combrink vs. Jason Heit
Dwayne Lewis vs. Jay Whitford
Nolan Clarke vs. George Belanger

Evening News and Notes - Sept. 16, 2008


Wanderlei Silva. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Here’s a little mix of news and notes that we missed over the past few days…

Jackson-Silva III Likely for UFC 91

Amidst lingering rumors that the two were set to rematch later this year, it seems that former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will reportedly indeed take on longtime PRIDE middleweight title holder Wanderlei Silva at UFC 91 on November 15 according to MMA Junkie.

Sources within the Wolfslair camp, which Jackson recently joined after parting ways with trainer Juanito Ibarra, have said that Jackson has agreed to the fight and has already begun training. Attempts to contact Wolfslair co-owner Anthony McGann for confirmation by MMA on Tap were unsuccessful.

Jackson and Silva have fought on two separate occasions and Silva was victorious in both fighters. Silva stopped Jackson with strikes in the first round of their original meeting at PRIDE Final Conflict 2003 and then scored a second-round knockout of him at PRIDE 28 four years ago.

Continue reading "Evening News and Notes - Sept. 16, 2008"

Cooper-Speight Finalizes Affliction II Card


Brett Cooper. Photo courtesy of the International Fight League.

A welterweight bout between IFL veteran Brett Cooper and undefeated prospect Patrick Speight will reportedly finalize Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” card, which will take place on October 11th at the Thomas & Mack Center on the campus of UNLV according to a report by MMA News.

Affliction VP Tom Atencio was said to have confirmed Cooper vs. Speight as the final bout to be signed for the event yesterday. Both fighters were originally scheduled to be part of Affliction’s “Banned” show on July 19 but were removed from the card due to unknown reasons.

Continue reading "Cooper-Speight Finalizes Affliction II Card"

Report: Prangley Steps in to Face Lindland


Trevor Prangley. Photo by Jon Swenson.

Former BodogFight middleweight champion Trevor Prangley has been tapped to replace an injured Vitor Belfort against Team Quest co-founder Matt Lindland at Affliction’s “Day of Reckoning” show on October 11th in Las Vegas according to MMA Junkie.

Belfort was forced to withdraw from his bout against Lindland due to a lingering hand injury that will leave him unable to compete. The Brazilian suffered a broken hand in the first round of his knockout win over Terry Martin on July 19th. Belfort was originally optimistic about being able to fight this fall, but doctors have advised him not to.

Lindland was also victorious at Affliction’s debut show last month, winning a hard-fought decision over Fabio Negao. It was Lindland’s first fight since he was submitted by Fedor Emelianenko in his one and only trip to the heavyweight division over one year ago.

Prangley meanwhile has not fought since falling to Jorge Santiago in the finals of Strikeforce’s middleweight tournament last November. Since being released from the UFC over two years ago, Prangley has also garnered up wins over Yuki Kondo and Falaniko Vitale.

Continue reading "Report: Prangley Steps in to Face Lindland"

Strikeforce Medical Suspensions

The California State Athletic Commission released the official list of medical suspensions stemming from last weekend’s Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives event that took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA.

Falaniko Vitale, Trevor Prangley, Bryson Kamaka, and Chris Drumm have all been medically suspended for 45 days and with no contact for 30 days.

Paul Buentello has been medically suspended for 60 days and can also have no contact in training for the same amount of time because of lacerations around his eye. A similar situation may also occur for Bobby Southworth who was medically suspended for 45 days with no contact for 30 days but may have his suspension extended to 60 days and without contact if a doctor does not clear a laceration above Southworth’s left eye.

Both Alistair Overeem and Brian Schwartz have been medically suspended for 180 days and with no contact for the same amount of time. Overeem has a possible fracture in his finger and his suspension can be reduced after clearance by a physician. Schwartz has a possible fracture in his left hand. If Schwartz is found to not have a fractured hand, he will not be required to serve any of the suspension.

The biggest suspensions were received by Sean Salmon and Sam Morgan who were both medically suspended for an indefinite amount of time. However if and when the fighters are cleared by a doctor, they will be required to serve a 45 day suspension without contact for 30 days.

Santiago Rolls to Tournament Victory


Photo by Jon Swenson, Sharkspage

Jorge Santiago needed less than three minutes in order to capture the state of California and Strikeforce’s first-ever four-man mixed martial arts tournament last night.

Santiago scored victories over Sean Salmon and Trevor Prangley in front of 8,233 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, CA.

Both Santiago and Prangley headed into the tournament in relatively good shape considering they had each fought earlier in the evening. They decided to keep the bout on the feet during the opening moments of their fight. Santiago battered Prangley with a flurry of leg kicks early on, connecting with one that knocked Prangley to the ground.

Santiago continued to stalk Prangley connecting with a number of unanswered punches and kicks. Santiago connected with a knee to the body and followed it up with a right hand that sent Prangley to the canvas. Santiago pounced on him and following up with another right hand but referee Jon Schorle decided that Prangley had enough and stopped the fight.

After the fight, Santiago admitted that sticking to his game plan ultimately won him the fight:

“I’ve been studying his game for a long time and I knew that he was a tough guy,” said Santiago. “I knew that he was probably going to try and take me down and drop some bombs. I just stuck to my game. I saw the best time to go and I took over.”

Continue reading "Santiago Rolls to Tournament Victory"

Strikeforce to Stream Live on Yahoo! Sports

Strikeforce has announced that they will be streaming their upcoming show, Strikeforce: Tournament Series, live on Yahoo! Sports Friday, November 16 beginning at 11 PM EST.

Available to all internet users located beyond a 150 mile radius of San Jose, the live stream, free of charge to viewers, will begin at 8 PM PST (11 PM EST) and include the entire Strikeforce four-man, single-elimination tournament, featuring middleweight (185 lb. limit) stars Trevor Prangley (16-4), Falaniko Vitale (24-7), Yuki Sasaki (21-13-1), and Jorge Santiago (14-7). Each tournament bout will consist of two, five-minute rounds.

Also included in the stream will be the Strikeforce heavyweight title fight between Paul “The Headhunter” Buentello and Alistair Overeem, Cung Lee vs. Sam Morgan, Bobby Southworth vs. Anthony Ruiz and Brian “The Mad Stork” Schwartz vs. Lemont Davis.

Lottery to Decide Strikeforce Matchups

A lottery ball drawing, which will take place immediately following the fighter weigh-ins at the HP Pavilion’s The Grill restaurant on Thursday, the eve of Strikeforce’s mixed martial arts mega-card, will determine the tournament brackets for Friday’s historic, four-man middleweight (185 lb. limit) tournament.

Tournament competitors Trevor Prangley (16-4), Falaniko “Niko” Vitale (24-7), Yuki Sasaki (21-13-1), and Jorge Santiago (14-7) will each draw one of four balls, numbered “1” through “4,” and, then, one by one, choose which location in the single-elimination tournament draw they wish to occupy.  The first choice will be given to the fighter who draws the ball numbered 1, the second choice to the fighter who draws ball number 2, and so forth.

Each tournament bout will consist of two, five-minute rounds.  The victor of the first-ever sanctioned mixed martial arts tournament in the state of California will potentially be awarded the opportunity to challenge Strikeforce World Middleweight Champion, Frank Shamrock.

Continue reading "Lottery to Decide Strikeforce Matchups"

Santiago Ready to Upset Prangley

Bodog Fight Middleweight Champion Trevor Prangley may be considered the favorite to win California’s first-ever sanctioned mixed martial arts tournament, but Florida’s Jorge Santiago is prepared to upset the champ should they meet Friday, Nov. 16 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose.

“I’ll throw everything I have at him,” says Santiago. “I think I can beat him on the ground or standing up.”

Santiago (14-7) and Prangley (16-4) are two of the four men competing in the single-elimination middleweight tournament that will headline Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives, presented by Bodog Fight.

The other combatants are Yuki Sasaki (21-13-1) and Falaniko “Niko” Vitale (24-7). The winner of the tournament will have to get through two matches, with each bout consisting of two five-minute rounds.

A random draw to determine the match-ups will take place during the weigh-in, and although Santiago recognizes Prangley’s skills, he isn’t afraid to face him in the tournament.

“Trevor Prangley says he is one of the best 185-pound fighters in the world and I agree with him, but everyone has his day.”

Continue reading "Santiago Ready to Upset Prangley"

Prangley Expects to Win Strikeforce Tournament

Bodog Fight Middleweight Champion, Trevor Prangley, has something to prove at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California on Friday, November 16.

“I’ve been telling everyone that I’m one of the best 185-pound fighters in the world, and winning this competition will show people I’m not just talking sh*t.”

The competition the confident South African is referring to is the four-man, single-elimination middleweight tournament that will headline Strikeforce: Four Men Enter, One Man Survives, presented by Bodog Fight.

The winner of the first-ever sanctioned mixed martial arts tournament in the state of California will potentially be awarded the opportunity to challenge Strikeforce World Middleweight Champion, Frank Shamrock.

That very well could be Prangley, who trains at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose and is sure to be buoyed by the pro-AKA crowd.

“Of course, I hope they cheer for me, although I usually only hear the crowd when I walk out,” says Prangley. “When I’m in the ring I’m mainly focused on what my corner is telling me. But the crowd can give you a lift, and most fighters feed off the energy.”

Continue reading "Prangley Expects to Win Strikeforce Tournament"

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >