Nick Diaz recently spoke with GraceFighter.com providing his thoughts on his upcoming fight with Takanori Gomi.
“I don’t think he has anything to offer that I haven’t seen before. I think I’ve fought tougher guys than him. The guys I’ve fought hit harder, were better wrestlers and better grapplers. What does he think he’ll be able to do to me? I’m not intimidated at all and if he thinks he can knock me out that’s fine. I think he’ll be the one getting an ass beating so I hope he’s ready.”
News and Notes
- The next WEC show will be March 24th at The Joint in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- PRIDE has added the following bouts to their upcoming show Pride 33: Second Coming:
* Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz
* Hayato Sakurai vs. Mac Danzig
* Kazuo Misaki vs. Frank Trigg
* Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Travis Wiuff
- Matt Lindland has confirmed through ‘The Fight Network’ that he signed a three-fight deal with BodogFight. All of the fights will take place in the heavyweight division.
- It’s looking like Tito Oritz vs. Forrest Griffin II is a strong possibility for UFC 70 in Manchester.
News and Notes
- Nick Diaz will be fighting on the upcoming PRIDE USA show. It is expected that he’ll fight PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi.
- Drew McFedries will fight Martin Kampmann at UFC 68: The Uprising.
- We have confirmed that Hayato Sakurai will face Mac Danzig at PRIDE 33.
- Matt Lindland confirmed on ‘The Beatdown’ that he will in fact be fighting Fedor Emelianenko.
MMA on Tap has confirmed that KOTC veteran Mac Danzig will fight Hayato Sakurai at PRIDE 33: The Second Coming.
Danzig fought this past weekend at KOTC: Hard Knocks losing a tough split decision victory to PRIDE veteran Clay French. Prior to his loss to French, Danzig was on a tear winning 12 straight fights with victories over the likes of Brandon Olsen, Jason Ireland, and others. With only three losses to his name, it was only a matter of time before Danzig got a shot in the big show, his time has finally come.
Danzig’s opponent will be lightweight contender Hayato Sakurai. Sakurai is a very decorated fighter who has a deep past in both PRIDE and Shooto. Sakurai has won 6 of his last 7 with his only loss coming to the hands of PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi.
It now looks like Nick Diaz will face Takanori Gomi in a non-title bout on the card. Diaz recently signed a contract with PRIDE and it has been announced that he’ll fight on the upcoming PRIDE USA card.
News and Notes
- Fight Opinion is reporting that PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi may be on his way to the UFC. Gomi has apparently received the green light from PRIDE which will allow him to fight in the UFC. In doing so he’ll be representing PRIDE unlike Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic who is now a UFC fighter.
- Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Ricco Rodriguez will be making his pro boxing debut against unbeaten Chase Shields. Also on the card will be MMA journeyman Travis Fulton who is fighting Lou Savarese. Savarese is an accomplished boxer who has faced the likes of former champions James “Buster” Douglas, Tim Witherspoon, Mike Tyson and George Foreman.
- Sergei Kharitonov will make his return to the ring at PRIDE 33 against Gilbert Yvel.
IGN: Flock Talks UFC
Here is a little excerpt from the interview:
IGN: This isn’t the first time THQ has handled a mixed-martial arts game. What does this mean for THQ? What makes this announcement and this decision so important?
Kelly Flock: The previous games we did were picked up from Japan, and they were based on Pride FC. These games are a different story. What’s happened since then is that the popularity of the UFC has really kicked into gear. It’s amazingly popular right now. We saw the numbers, how it was taking off, how our demographic was interested, and we felt like it was time to bring it back to the interactive arena. The response from people we know about it all think this is a great move.
IGN: What are the two or three most important elements of your announcement?
Flock: It’s a huge announcement because most of the active videogame publishers were after the license. But Zuffa selected us. That’s the biggest element of our announcement. The reason THQ got the license was because we were the ones most passionate about it. We have a big presence in the category and we have a couple people internally at THQ who really get it. We really understand the property, its value. We know how to launch these kinds of games, and we have the ability to execute. That’s why Zuffa picked us; that’s why it’s important.
IGN: Will this be an annual game?
Flock: That’s our expectation. UFC lends itself to an annual update, so we expect to have annual iterations of the game with new features, updated and upgraded graphics and gameplay, the whole deal.
The Fight Network: The UFC UK Rumor Mill
Pride officially announced that Wanderlei Silva will defend his Pride Middleweight Title against Pride Welterweight Champion Dan Henderson at Pride 33: The Second Coming on February 24th at a press conference in Los Angeles yesterday.
The biggest surprise of the day: Tommy Lee was on hand to voice his support for the event.
Not the biggest surprise of the day: Lee screwed up the date of the event, saying that it was in January instead of February, confusing Motley Crue fans everywhere.
Pride CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara was very confident that his company would succeed in the UFC-dominated American market…
“2007 is the year of change and challenge for PRIDE,” Sakakibara told Sherdog.com. “We take the American market very seriously and also we have champions like Fedor and Wanderlei, strong fighters — they’re waiting for anyone to challenge them. We’re here to stay in America and those champions are here to stay in PRIDE.”
While he couldn’t say anything more about the matchups for Pride 33, Sakakibara did state that Takanori Gomi will be fighting on the card.
Sakakibara also quelled the rampant rumors that are circulating through some of MMA’s most popular message boards that Zuffa, the company that owns the UFC and WEC, has come to terms to purchase Pride:
“It’s just a rumor. I haven’t had any close conversation with (UFC president) Dana White so far. But since the Fertitta brothers bought the UFC we’ve had a very close relationship and we have had friendly conversation. We’re just trying to come up with the idea on how we can make this sport grow. That’s our main concern. I think that is where the rumors are coming from. We’re constantly having a conversation with the UFC.”
While an MMA monopoly might not be the best thing for the sport, it’s always good to know that the two superpowers are working together to try and better the sport and also constantly talking to each other.
If there ever comes a time when Pride has to be sold, I’d rather Zuffa acquire it than WWE or Showtime…
It has been confirmed that Pride superstars Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Takanori Gomi have been added to the Pride Shockwave 2006 card.
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua is scheduled to face Kazuhiro Nakamura. Both fighters recently appeared on the Pride USA card entitled “The Real Deal” where fans saw both fighters pick up victories. “Shogun” defeated the very tough Hammer House product Kevin Randleman by submission and Nakamura stopped his opponent Travis Galbraith via strikes.
Pride Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi will battle Shooto Pacific Rim Welterweight Champion Mitsuhiro Ishida in a non-title bout.
PRIDE Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi will defend his title against Marcus Aurelio at the upcoming Bushido 13.
Gomi has fought Aurelio before with surprising results. At Bushido 10, Aurelio choked out Gomi with a triangle choke in what is considered as one of the biggest upsets so far this year.