News and Notes
- Last night fans were given the opportunity to witness the first Zuffa-ran World Extreme Cagefighting show. McCullough and Faber reigned victorious in their respective bouts earning their WEC titles. Here are the full results…
- Richard Crunkilton def. Mike Joy - Submission (Anaconda Choke)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Mike French - Decision (Unanimous)
- Carlos Condit def. Kyle Jensen - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Alex Karalexis def. Olaf Alfonso - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- Brendan Seguin def. Fernando Gonzalez - Decision (Unanimous)
- Logan Clark def. Blas Cedena - TKO (Referee Stoppage)
- John Alessio def. Brian Gassaway - Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Urijah Faber def. Joe Pearson - Submission (Strikes)
- Rob McCullough def. Kit Cope - Submission (Strikes)
- Dave Medd will take on Chris Clements at TKO 28: Inevitable.
- UFC veteran Dan Lauzon suffered his second straight loss this weekend to the hands of Deividas Taurosevicius at Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3: “Battleground”.
- Here is the full card for Cage Rage 20...
1. Eric “Butterbean” Esch vs. James “The Colossus” Thompson
2. Mark Kerr vs. Mustapha Al Turk
3. Tengiz Tedoradze vs. Rob Broughton
4. Dan Severn vs. Dave Legeno
5. Daijiro Matsui vs. Zelg Galesic
6. Mark Buchanan vs. Robert Berry
7. Tom Howard vs. Tom Blackledge
8. Masakazu Imanari vs. Robbie Olivier
9. Jason Barrett vs. Jeremy Bailey
10. Ronnie Mann vs. Ashley Grimshaw
11. Marios Zaromskis vs. Paul Taylor
12. Michael Johnson vs. Lee Doski
TKO Major League MMA has announced that Thomas Schulte will serve as Steve Vigneault’s replacement at TKO 28.
Vigneault was originally scheduled to face Jonathan Goulet for the TKO welterweight title but he was forced to pull out after he suffered a knee injury which will take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. Goulet and Schulte will now fight in a non-title bout.
Thomas Schulte is the polar opposite of Steve Vigneault as he is a submission specialist who trains at Fit NHB in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Schulte has a mixed martial arts record of 13-5-0 with 12 of his victories have come by submission.
I asked Goulet what he thought about Schulte and he said “He looks like very good fighter. I’m ready for everything and I’m going to be careful with him on the ground for sure. I don’t underestimate him and I think it’s going to be a fight that the crowd will remember.”
When asked about how it would affect his training Goulet said “I prepare for everything. I worked on my stand-up skills but I worked on my submissions as well because my goal was to submit Vigneault.”
Steve Vigneault vs. Jonathan Goulet for the TKO welterweight title is now expected to take place June 1st, 2007.
News and Notes
- Stephane Vigneault has suffered an injury and he will no longer be fighting Jonathan Goulet for the TKO Canadian Welterweight Title. Goulet released a message on MySpace which said “Damn my opponent got injured and the TKO management are looking for an opponent.”
- Frankie Edgar will make his UFC debut February 3rd at UFC 67: All or Nothing against undefeated lightweight prospect Tyson Griffin.
- Kenny Florian vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima will headline UFC Fight Night 9 on March 13th.
- Tank Abbott will make his return to MMA February 3rd when he fights Ji Hoon Kim in World Best Fighter: USA vs. Asia.
ADCC News: Frankie Edgar Talks About UFC Debut
IFL: IFL Oakland Preview: Part 1
IFL: IFL Oakland Preview: Part 2
MMAWeekly: MMA’s Japanese Bloodlines Run Deep
UFC: Eddie Sanchez - The Chance of a Lifetime
LA Times: Knockout Marketing
TKO Major League MMA has announced that UFC veteran Sam “Hands of Stone” Stout will defend his TKO lightweight title against Fabio Holanda at TKO 28: Inevitable. This fight marks the third title fight on the card which includes a battle for the vacant welterweight title between Jonathan Goulet and Stephane Vigneault.
Also on the card will be UFC veteran Mark “The Machine” Hominick who will be battling Hatsu Hioki for the TKO featherweight title. Hominick recently lost the belt to Hioki at TKO 25: Confrontation when Hioki submitted Hominick late in the second. Since that fight Hominick has gone 3-0 with a win in the UFC over Jorge Gurgle.
Here is the rumored card for TKO 28: Inevitable.
TKO Welterweight Championship
Steve Vigneault vs Jonathan Goulet
TKO Featherweight Championship
Hatsu Hioki vs Mark Hominick
Vitor Belfort vs TBA
Sam Stout vs TBA
Ben Greer vs Stéphane Vigneault
Jason St-Louis vs Steve Claveau
Dave Pariseau vs Martin Grandmont
Stéphane Dubé vs Tyler Jackson
Chris Horodecki vs Samuel Guillet
Dave Fraser vs Steve Bossé
TKO Major League MMA will be returning to the Bell Centre on February 9th, 2007 with TKO 28: Inevitable.
Headlining the card will be a battle for the vacant TKO welterweight title between Jonathan Goulet and Stephane Vigneault.
Jonathan Goulet vs. Stephane Vigneault
Stephane Dube vs. Tyler Jackson
Steve Bosse vs. David Fraser
Dave Pariseau vs. Martin Grandmont
Jonathan “The Road Warrior” Goulet is a veteran of the UFC and TKO, holding a professional MMA record of 16-7. Some of Goulet’s more notable victories have come against Jeff Joslin, Travis Galbraith, Tony Fryklund, John Alessio, and Shonie Carter. Goulet is also currently the number one contender for the TKO Welterweight Title.
Goulet is a well rounded fighter who is versed in Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and is a potent striker. His most recent fight was a loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC Fight Night 6. Goulet also recently signed a three fight deal with the UFC back in August.
Here is a short, recent question and answer set that we did with Jonathan discussing his fight with Koscheck and his plans for the near future…
Here are the results from TKO 27: Reincarnation.
Roy Doepker def. Dave Fraser by Submission (Rear naked choke)
Daniel Boissoneault def. Yves Lemelin by TKO (Referee stoppage - Strikes)
Dave Pariseau def. Jacob MacDonald by Submission (Kimura)
Steve Claveau def. John Fraser by Submission (Triangle)
Chris Clements def. Steve Pouliot by TKO (Referee stoppage)
Tyler Jackson def. Donald Ouimet by Submission (Tapout - Elbow’s dislocation)
Stephane Dube def. James Martinez by TKO (Referee stoppage)
Todd Gouwenberg def. Martin Desilets by Decision (Unanimous)
Krzysztof Soszynski def. Icho Larenas by TKO (Cut)
Mark Hominick def. Samuel Guillet by Decision (Unanimous)
Sam Stout def. Jay Estrada by Submission (Armbar)
Ivan Menjivar has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Mark Hominick at TKO 27: Reincarnation. Menjivar’s replacement will be TKO veteran Samuel Guillet.
TKO World Lightweight Champion Sam Stout will defend his title against Jay Estrada at TKO 27: Reincarnation on September 29th. Stout and Estrada have fought before in what happened to be the professional MMA debut for both fighters - Estrada submitted Stout in the first round.