Strikeforce

The Daily Recap: Blanco Moving to UFC, Pariasy Inks Bellator Deal & More

Maximo Blanco. Photo courtesy of Showtime Sports.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Shortly after suffering a unanimous decision loss to Pat Healy in his Strikeforce debut this past weekend, Sengoku standout Maximo Blanco has opted to drop down to the featherweight division and has signed to do so in the UFC. According to Blanco's manager, Brian Butler-Au of SuckerPunch Entertainment, his client has been moved from Strikeforce to the UFC roster immediately, with a debut date currently unknown. [MMA Fighting]

— "Ultimate Fighter 11" contestant Norman Paraisy has reportedly inked to fight on Bellator Fighting Championships' ongoing fifth season. The Frenchman has gone undefeated in his last six bouts, which includes a unanimous decision win over former WEC and PRIDE star Paulo Filho in May. [MMA Junkie]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Blanco Moving to UFC, Pariasy Inks Bellator Deal & More"

HDNet to Televise Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semifinal Prelims

Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante. Photo by Esther Lin/Strikeforce.

Strikeforce announced today that HDNet will broadcast live preliminary bouts and official weigh-ins for the World Grand Prix Semifinals on Sept. 10 in Cincinnati, as well as for the World Grand Prix Finals scheduled to take place in the coming months.

In addition, HDNet’s Inside MMA, hosted by Bas Rutten and Kenny Rice, will broadcast live from the weigh-in locations for each event with exclusive pre-fight coverage, including on-set interviews and analysis of the upcoming bouts. HDNet last carried the live prelims and weigh-ins for the World Grand Prix event held at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 18.

“As we continue to showcase some of the sport’s up-and-coming talent on our prelims, we’re excited to be able to air them live on HDNet,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said. “We’re excited to give Strikeforce fans even more access to great fights.”

Continue reading "HDNet to Televise Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semifinal Prelims"

The Daily Recap: Zuffa Retains Counsel for Rumored Federal Investigation, High-Moore Signed & More

Lorenzo Fertitta. Photo courtesy of GracieMag International.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Zuffa has reportedly retained Axinn-Veltrop-Harkrider, LLP, a New York City-based law firm specializing in anti-trust litigation, as the Federal Trade Commission is rumored to be investigating the UFC's parent company following its purchase of Strikeforce earlier this year. “It is true that Zuffa has retained my law firm, but I will not comment further,” said Stephen Axinn, the firm’s senior partner. “As I am sure you know, people generally do not want to comment where there may be possibly some sort of investigation going on.” [Full Contact Fighter]

— Seasoned veteran Jason High announced today that he has signed to attempt to win his sixth fight in a row against WEC alumnus Todd Moore at Strikeforce Challengers 19 on September 23 in Las Vegas. After falling in the finals of DREAM's inaugural welterweight grand prix and a one-off stint in the UFC, High found his way into Strikeforce courtesy of an impressive win streak, which includes victories over Japanese legend Hayato Sakurai and heralded prospects Jordan Mein and Quinn Mulhern. Moore meanwhile has won four out of six since being released from the WEC. [Five Ounces of Pain]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Zuffa Retains Counsel for Rumored Federal Investigation, High-Moore Signed & More"

The Daily Recap: Koscheck Aiming for November Return, Carano Targeted for December & More

Josh Koscheck. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Former UFC welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck has revealed that his first fight since falling to Georges St. Pierre last December will take place at UFC 139 at the HP Pavilion in his adopted hometown of San Jose, CA on November 19. The "Ultimate Fighter" product also stated that his return bout would likely take place at middleweight and that the idenity of his opponent should become available soon. [Twitter.com]

— Strikeforce women's star Gina Carano will reportedly attempt to return to action once again at a yet-to-be-announced Strikeforce show on December 17. Carano was slated to take on Sarah D'Alelio at Strikeforce's "Overeem vs. Werdum" event in June, but failed to receive medical clearance to compete. A reason for her removal remains unknown. [Wrestling Observer]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Koscheck Aiming for November Return, Carano Targeted for December & More"

Report: Melendez Likely to Defend Belt Against Masvidal in December

Gilbert Melendez. Photo by Esther Lin/AllElbows.com.

Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez will reportedly put his title on the line in an expected showdown against American Top Team product Jorge Masvidal at a yet-to-be-announced Strikeforce event on December 17.

The news comes from MMAJunkie.com, citing sources close to the event. A date and location for the show, which will likely be the organization's last of the year, remain unknown.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker suggested that the matchup would probably take place following Masvidal's three-round destruction of K.J. Noons in June, which was easily the biggest win of his career.

Continue reading "Report: Melendez Likely to Defend Belt Against Masvidal in December"

Previewing Strikeforce Challengers 17

Sarah Kaufman. Photo courtesy of Showtime Sports.

Strikeforce will hold its first-ever show in the Las Vegas area with “Strikeforce Challengers 17”, which takes place this evening at the Palms Casino Resort, a frequent stop for the UFC’s “Ultimate Fighter” finales.

The event is headlined by the third meeting between rivals Roger Bowling and Bobby Voelker, who each have a win over one another heading into their rubber match. Also scheduled is a women's bout between former welterweight champion Sarah Kaufmann and former Marine Liz Carmouche as well as a light heavyweight attraction between rising contender Ovince St. Preux and Joe Cason.

The five-fight main card will be televised live on Showtime starting at 10 PM ET.

Continue reading "Previewing Strikeforce Challengers 17"

The Daily Recap: Faber-Bowles Booked for UFC 139, Brazilian Organization Courting Marquardt & More

Urijah Faber. Photo courtesy of UrijahFaber.com

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Former WEC featherweight king will try to get back on track in a pivotal bout against former WEC bantamweight title holder Brian Bowles in a main card bout tapped for UFC 139, which takes place on November 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Faber last fell to Dominick Cruz via unanimous decision in a failed bantamweight title bid at UFC 132 earlier this month while Bowles returned to the cage after over a year on the sidelines due to injury and took a unanimous nod over Takeya Mizugaki. [UFC.com]

— Nate Marquardt is among many high-profile free agent fighters being courted by upstart Brazilian promotion Amazon Forest Combat for their debut show on September 14. Among those already signed to compete are Royler Gracie and Paulo Filho and Satoshi Ishii, who will face each other in a likely light heavyweight bout. Patrick Cote, Marcus Davis, Jordan Smith and Rony Torres are among the fighters offered bouts on the card. [Tatame]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Faber-Bowles Booked for UFC 139, Brazilian Organization Courting Marquardt & More"

Cincinnatti to Host Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semifinals on September 10

Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal. Photo courtesy of M-1 Global.

Strikeforce has reportedly found a host venue for the second round of its popular heavyweight grand prix tournament as the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinatti, Ohio will play home to the September 10 event.

MMAJunkie.com was able to confirm that the organization recently reserved the date with the Ohio Athletic Commission. The five-fight main card portion of the show will air live on Showtime.

Among the bouts confirmed for the card include Strikeforce middleweight champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza's next title defense against American Kickboxing Academy product Luke Rockhold and former light heavyweight champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal's return to action against Roger Gracie.

Continue reading "Cincinnatti to Host Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Semifinals on September 10"

The Daily Recap: Green to Replace Injured Beerbohm, Last-Minute Change to Challengers 17 & More

Bobby Green. Photo by Tracy Lee/CombatLifestyle.com

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— King of the Cage lightweight champion Bobby Green has been tapped to replace Lyle Beerbohm against former K-1 Hero's standout Gesias Cavalcante on the undercard of Strikeforce's "Fedor vs. Henderson" event on July 30. The reasoning behind Beerbohm's departure from the contest is currently unknown. Green enters the bout fresh off of a unanimous decision win over Dom O'Grady in April. [Strikeforce]

— Heavy hitting striker Lavar Johnson has been forced out of this weekend's Strikeforce Challengers 17 show with an undisclosed injury. Taking his place in a heavyweight bout against IFL veteran Devin Cole will reportedly be former collegiate football player Shawn Jordan, who recently posted a 1-1 mark under the Bellator banner. [MMA Junkie]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Green to Replace Injured Beerbohm, Last-Minute Change to Challengers 17 & More"

The Daily Recap: Pickett-Barao Set for UFC 138, Boetsch, Ring to Meet in October & More

Brad Pickett. Photo courtesy of ProElite.

The Daily Recap is a collection of news and notes from around the web that will be posted at the end of each day. Bout signings, injury news and much more can all be found here.

— Rising featherweight contenders Brad Pickett and Renan Barao have been signed to meet in a potential main card affair at UFC 138 on November 5 in Birmingham, England. Pickett has won ten out of his last eleven, most recently knocking off a returning Ivan Menjivar via unanimous decision at the WEC's final show in December. Barao has won all three of his bouts under the Zuffa banner to date, including a decision win over former WEC featherweight title holder Cole Escovedo in May. [The Daily Telegraph]

— Fresh off of a win oveR "TUF 3" winner Kendall Grove in his debut at middleweight, wrestling product Tim Boetsch is set to face undefeated Canadian grappler Nick Ring at UFC 135 on September 24. Boetsch opted to drop to 185 lbs after earning a 3-3 mark as a light heavyweight in the UFC. His opponent, Ring, is perfect thus far in his professional career. Some of his notable wins include submissions of Bill Mahood and James Head and a controversial decision over DEEP middleweight king Riki Fukuda. [UFC.com]

Continue reading "The Daily Recap: Pickett-Barao Set for UFC 138, Boetsch, Ring to Meet in October & More"

Page 5 of 37 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›