Scott Smith. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
NEW YORK – Can Scott “Hands Of Steel’’ Smith, aka “The Comeback Kid,’’ do it again?
On Saturday, June 26, at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., on Showtime, Smith will attempt to make it two consecutive victories over Cung Le in a middleweight (185 pounds) rematch of one of the most incredible Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) comeback victories of all-time.
The eagerly anticipated return bout between Smith (17-6), of Elk Grove, Calif., and Le (6-1), of San Jose, will take place on an already-stacked Strikeforce and M-1 Global fight card that features the world’s No. 1 heavyweight and pound-for-pound MMA fighter, Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko (31-1),against two-time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion and top-ranked superstar Fabricio “Vai Cavalo” Werdum (13-4) in the main event.
Jake Shields def. Robbie Lawler - Submission (Guillotine choke) Round 1 2:02
Brett Rogers def. Andrei Arlovski - KO Round 1 0:22
Nick Diaz def. Scott Smith - Submission (Rear naked choke) Round 3 1:41
Joe Riggs def. Phil Baroni - Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Mike Whitehead def. Kevin Randleman - Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Untelevised: (results via Sherdog)
Jesse Finney def. Josh Baumgartner - Submission (Kimura) Round 1 1:55
Mike Kyle def. Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante - TKO Round 2 4:05
Booker DeRousse def. James Wade - TKO Round 1 4:06
Tyron Woodley def. Sal Woods - Submission (Anaconda choke) Round 1 4:20
Lucas Lopes def. Scott Ventimiglia - DQ (Knee to the head of downed opponent) Round 1 3:26
Pat Benson def. Dave Cochran - Submission (Armbar) Round 1 2:18
Scott Smith. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Days after it was revealed that Benji Radach had decided to send a formal protest of his April 11 knockout loss against Scott Smith to the California State Athletic Commission, Smith’s camp has released an official response regarding the matter:
“He’s obviously entitled to his opinion, but we’re disappointed that Benji is trying to take away from what was such a great fight,” said Smith’s manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc. “At this point, we’re moving on and are completely focused on Scott’s June 6 fight with Nick Diaz.”
It’s nothing more than your standard statement, but what makes it interesting is the tone. It seems as if Roberts and company are moving on partly because they too believe that the chances of Radach’s attempt to have the fight overturned are slim to none.
Scott Smith vs. Benji Radach. Photo by Tom Casino/Strikeforce.
Here’s something you don’t see everyday. Well actually you kinda do. It happened recently when Shane Nelson picked up a surprisingly quick TKO win over Aaron Riley at UFC 96 after knocking Riley down and having the referee stop the fight prematurely. Happens all the time unfortunately and some fighters choose to protest the decision.
Remember Scott Smith’s come-from-behind Strikeforce win over Benji Radach last month? Hell of a fight, but another questionable stoppage, at least in Radach’s eyes. But what makes his decision to appeal his recent loss interesting is the fact that he’s claiming he should have never even been knocked out in the first place:
Radach’s appeal is not quite official yet; he says he and his managers are putting together the official paperwork and plan to file it soon. In the submitted documents, Radach will point to several mistakes he feels referee Herb Dean made.
He had a second-round guillotine he cinched up tight on Smith, and says he felt Hands of Steel grab the cage to help him ease out of Radach’s grip. Radach says he even heard Dean say something to Smith about grabbing the fence. “If Scott hadn’t gotten ahold of the cage—which is blatantly against the rules—I think I would have finished him there,” Radach says.
Radach also stated that the “blow that finished the fight”, a final right hand while Radach was already on the floor courtesy of a bomb from Smith, was illegal because it hit the back of his head. The video proves that he has a point, but also shows Dean running in to stop the fight at the same time.
So does Radach have a case here? Not really in my opinion. After rewatching the fight this afternoon, Smith grabbing the cage has very little to do with him scoring a takedown. It’s the majority of Radach’s balance leaning backwards into the guillotine that causes him to hit the mat. Also, while Smith may have struck Radach in the back of the head after knocking him down, Dean will likely state that Radach wasn’t intelligently defending himself and the bout was going to be stopped regardless.
Nick Diaz. Photo property of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Many former EliteXC fighters were victorious during Strikeforce’s first event of the year on Saturday night in San Jose, California, but none of those wins were more emphatic than the one brash UFC and PRIDE veteran Nick Diaz earned over longtime veteran Frank Shamrock.
A younger, faster, and more well-conditioned Diaz pummeled Shamrock on the feet and on the ground over the course of nine minutes in the featured attraction of Strikeforce’s “Shamrock vs. Diaz” show before finally putting “The Legend” away, possibly for good, at least in terms of the sport’s relevant stars.
“I give everything to Nick Diaz,” Shamrock graciously said after the fight. “I trained for him 100% and I didn’t take him lightly. I knew he was a dangerous opponent, but I stepped up. I always fight the best and I come to entertain, but Nick kicked my ass tonight. There’s no two ways about it. He beat me.”
Frank Shamrock attempts to shake hands with Strikeforce opponent Nick Diaz. Photo by Tom Casino/Showtime Networks.
Here’s a small gallery of photos from this past Thursday’s pre-fight press conference for Strikeforce’s “Shamrock vs. Diaz” event, which takes place on April 11 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will be televised live on Showtime.
Those in attendance at the press conference included former UFC and Strikeforce middleweight champion Frank Shamrock, Nick Diaz, former EliteXC champions Jake Shields and Robbie Lawler, and female MMA star Cris “Cyborg” Santos.
All photos were taken by Tom Casino and come courtesy of Showtime. Quotes from the press conference are here.
Photo by Jon Swenson. Used with permission.
It’s been a busy past few weeks for Scott Coker and his fledgling Strikeforce brand. Once thought to have been just a small success story in the San Jose area, the promotion seems to be on the fast track to becoming the legitimate number-two MMA organization in North America after securing a deal to purchase a limited number of assets from ProElite, the parent company of EliteXC.
Under the terms of the deal announced this afternoon, Strikeforce will acquire a select number of fighters contracts, along with the ability to sign additional fighters to Strikeforce deals, as well as a video library of past EliteXC and ShoXC events.
“This is a tremendous development that will bolster the Strikeforce roster and allow us to produce even more competitive matchups between top fighters,” Coker said in a press release today. “Some of these athletes have been on the sidelines for a while now and are eagerly waiting to return to competition. We look forward to providing them with the opportunity to do so in the next few months.”
San Jose, CA. —Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith (13-5) weighed in at 185 ½ lbs. and his opponent, Terry Martin (18-5), tipped the scales at 186 lbs. one day before their meeting at Strikeforce “Destruction,” the mixed martial arts mega-event at San Jose’s HP Pavilion.
Strikeforce World Light Heavyweight (205 lb. limit) Champion Bobby Southworth (9-5) and his opponent, Renato “Babalu” Sobral (30-7), both registered in at 204 lbs. Knockout artists and opponents Duane “Bang” Ludwig (17-8) and Yves Edwards (34-14-1) weighed in at 163 lbs. and 164 lbs, respectively.
The following are the official fighter weights from today’s weigh-ins at Hotel DeAnza:
Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith – 185.5 lbs. vs Terry Martin – 186 lbs.
Bobby Southworth – 204 lbs. vs Renato “Babalu” Sobral – 204 lbs.
Duane “Bang” Ludwig – 163 lbs. vs Yves Edwards – 164 lbs.
Kim “Sugar Free” Couture – 132 lbs. vs Lina Kvokov – 133 lbs.
Joe “Diesel” Riggs – 170.5 lbs. vs Luke Stewart – 170.5 lbs.
Brad Royster – 134 lbs. vs Darren “Bone Crusher” Uyenoyama – 136 lbs.
Nik Theotikos – 185.5 lbs. vs Luke Rockhold – 185.5 lbs.
Zakary Bucia – 169 lbs. vs Adam Steele – 168 lbs.
Alvin Cacdac – 143 lbs. vs Jose Palacios – 145 lbs.
Lemont Davis – 173 lbs. vs Brian Schwartz – 175 lbs.
Josh Neal – 184 lbs. vs Kurt “Rhino” Osiander – 185 lbs.
Bobby Stack – 155 lbs. vs Cyrillo Padilha – 156 lbs.
Tony Johnson – 184 lbs. vs Eric Lawson – 185 lbs.
HP Pavilion doors will open at 5:30 p.m. for Strikeforce “Destruction” and the first preliminary bout will begin at 6 p.m. The main card will commence at 7:30 p.m.
The live HDNet telecast of Strikeforce “Destruction” will begin at 10 p.m. EST (7 p.m. PST).
SAN JOSE, Calif. — A showdown between hard hitting middleweights (185 lb. limit) Scott “Hands of Steel” Smith (13-5) and Terry Martin (18-5) has been added to Strikeforce “Destruction,” the star-studded mixed martial arts (MMA) fight card that will unfold at San Jose’s HP Pavilion on Friday, November 21st.
“This is one of the those matchups where there’s no chance it won’t be a great fight,” said the 29-year-old Smith, a Sacramento native who has been eager to return to the cage since his loss to Robbie Lawler in the main event of the live CBS televised MMA fight card on July 26th.
“A fight like Terry Martin – ever since I’ve watched him fight, I always thought he’d be an exciting fight for me. I like taking on guys that bring it and like to fight.”
Scott Smith. Photo by Esther Lin/EliteXC.
Former two-time EliteXC middleweight title challenger Scott Smith will attempt to bounce back from his failed title shot against Robbie Lawler in facing streaking Cuban judo expert Hector Lombard at EltieXC’s “Night of Champions” on November 8 in Las Vegas.
The organization confirmed the previously rumored bout in a press release sent out to the media this past weekend. The Smith-Lombard middleweight matchup will be one of a handful of fights signed for the event’s televised live broadcast on Showtime.
Prior to his pair of fights against Lawler, Smith was victorious in his EliteXC debut, dispatching of Kyle Noke via second-round knockout at EliteXC’s “Street Certified” event in February. After serving as a contestant on the fourth season of “The Ultimate Fighter”, Smith was released from the UFC following consecutive losses to Patrick Cote and Ed Herman.
Lombard, the reigning Cage Fighting Championships’ middleweight champion, is currently riding an eleven-fight undefeated streak and hasn’t lost since dropping an unanimous decision to DREAM title holder Gegard Mousasi at PRIDE Bushido 13 close to two years ago.