Hugely popular former pro and NCAA wrestling champion Brock Lesnar will face 7-foot-2 South Korean giant Hong Man Choi in the eagerly awaited co-main event of the highly anticipated “Softbank presents Dynamite!! USA ‘’ mega MMA extravaganza on Saturday, June 2, at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. It is presented by FEG (Fighting Entertainment Group), ProElite and Showtime Networks Inc.
In a grudge rematch, Royce Gracie faces Japan’s Kazushi Sakuraba in the other co-main event.
The Lesnar-Choi, Gracie-Sakuraba fights are two of six that will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME® Pay-Per-View (10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT). Other pay-per-view bouts are scheduled to include: Mighty Mo vs. Mu Bae Choi, Ray Sefo vs. Marvin Eastman, Melvin Manhoef vs. Dong Sik Yoon, and f ormer University of Southern California and NFL star Johnnie Morton, who will make his MMA debut, against Bernard Ackah.
The pay-per-view fights will be preceded by a one-hour telecast on SHOWTIME® (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT) that will feature some of ProElite’s top performers, Antonio “Big Foot” Silva (against Jonathan Wiezorek) and Jake Shields (against Ido Pariente).
Today Pro Elite and FEG held a national media conference call promoting their upcoming show “Dynamite!! USA” which is scheduled for June 2nd at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
Present for the conference call was Kevin Burke, Gary Shaw, Monica Petty, and Royce Gracie.
Summary of the conference:
News and Notes
- The rumors section has been updated once again…
- Cage Rage has announced the card for it’s July 14th event, Cage Rage 22: Hard as Hell at the Wembley Arena in London, England:
Eric Esch vs Tengiz Tedoradze
Mario Sperry vs Lee Hasdell
Rob Broughton vs Gary Turner
Herb Dean vs Dave Legeno
Mark Buchanan vs James McSweeney
Paul Cahoon vs Mark Epstein
Ronnie Mann vs Robbie Olivier
Marius Zaromskis vs Ross Mason
Ross Pointon vs Dean Bray
Joe Mac vs Jeremy Bailey
Michael Johnson vs Damien Riccio
- Kazushi Sakuraba landed in Brazil earlier this week to train with the Chute Boxe team in preparation for his pending bout at K-1 and EliteXC’s event on June 2nd. An opponent for Sakuraba has not yet been named but rumors have been floating around for a couple of weeks now that he will be matched up against Royce Gracie for a rematch of their famous 90 min brawl in PRIDE…
- Spencer Fisher will take on Sam Stout at UFC Fight Night 10 on June 9th…
- KOAT, an ABC tlevision affiliate in Albuquerque, New Mexico is reporting that the city will host UFC 74 on August 25th at the University of New Mexico’s basketball arena which seats 18,000. They stated they received the information from Diego Sanchez who also said that he would be fighting on the card…
- The UFC apparently chose not to administer drug tests to the fighters that competed at UFC 69 and UFC 70 according to the Houston Chronicle.
Bodog Fight: Costa Rica Combat debuts Tuesday, April 17th at 11 p.m. / 10 p.m. Central on ION Television.
The latest series of Bodog Fight promises to be its most impressive effort to date, as Bodog founder Calvin Ayre welcomes mixed martial arts superstars Royce Gracie, Josh Barnett, Phil Baroni and Denis Kang to the beaches of Costa Rica for their insight and analysis.
Joining them will be veteran play-by-play man and World Boxing Hall of Fame inductee “The Colonel” Bob Sheridan. Sheridan will call the fights alongside MMA Broadcaster Paul Lazenby and Bodog Fight Commissioner Jeff Osborne, while former Canadian Super Heavyweight Boxing champion and Battlestar Galactica star Aleks Paunovic conducts ringside interviews.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu legend Gracie will also join the play-by-play team as a special guest commentator. The most famous member of the first family of BJJ, Gracie has been credited by many of today’s stars as their inspiration to enter the world of MMA.
Barnett will be pulling double duty in Costa Rica. A staple of the Japanese pro-wrestling and MMA circuits, “The Baby Faced Assassin” will corner several of Bodog Fight’s Japanese combatants in addition to sharing his wealth of knowledge with the television audience.
Fellow MMA stars Baroni and Kang will conduct pre and post fight interviews, as well as offering up assessments of the fights themselves
News and Notes
- If you didn’t see it already, Bill informed us yesterday via Bill Meltzer that Nobuyuki Sakakibara told several staff members of PRIDE USA that the company was in the process of being sold to Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta.
- K-1 and Elite XC parent company Pro Elite will work together to present K-1’s first MMA event in the US - DYNAMITE!! USA - on July 7th at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the home of the USC college football team. The fighters currently heavily rumored to be participating at the event are Royce Gracie, former pro wrestling superstar Brock Lesnar, and Hong Man Choi. A press conference will be held next week to discuss the event.
- Claude Patrick, the primary welterweight for the IFL’s Toronto Dragons will miss the remainder of the league’s season with a torn ACL and meniscus. Patrick will undergo surgery to repair the injuries on April 13th.
In a recent interview with MMA Weekly, Royce Gracie has stated that he wants a rematch with Matt Hughes, who defeated him at UFC 60, and that talks with the UFC are already underway in terms of making the fight happen.
MMAWeekly: Do you want a rematch with Matt Hughes?
Royce Gracie: Of course
MMAWeekly: Are you in negotiations with the UFC to make this fight happen?
Royce Gracie: We are talking to them. We shall see.
MMAWeekly: Touching on Hughes, did you learn anything from the fight? Did he surprise you?
Royce Gracie: No, we knew what he was planning to do. We worked out his gameplan before the fight, and he did exactly what we expected. I over-trained for the fight. That was all. I started training too much, too hard, for too long. He did exactly what we expected.