Welcome to the first edition of Coffee and Kick Ass, a new morning column that will include a variety of news and articles, or whatever else is going on in the MMA world.
News and Notes
- Seth Petruzelli has announced via his MySpace page that his fight at UFC Fight Night 8 on January 25th has been cancelled. Petruzelli was scheduled to face Hector Ramirez but Ramirez was forced to pull out after suffering an ankle injury during training.
- Remember to tune into ‘Inside the UFC’ tonight at 12 AM EST on Spike TV as Randy Couture will be making his “big” announcement. Reports have already surfaced stating that Couture will coming out of retirement to fight Tim Sylvia for the UFC heavyweight title.
- Lodune Sincaid has confirmed that he be fighting on the upcoming January 20th WEC card. His opponent at this time is still unknown.
- Yesterday on MMAWeekly Radio, MMA agent Ken Pavia reported that Ivan Salaverry is tentatively scheduled to fight on the April UFC card.
- Frank Trigg will defend his newly acquired Icon Sport middleweight title April 7th against UFC and PRIDE veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler.
- On the note of Robbie Lawler, it is expected that he will appear on the PRIDE USA show scheduled for sometime in June.
- Joe Doerksen will be making his PRIDE debut April 28th, 2007. At this time his opponent currently unknown.
InsideFighting: It’s do or die for Phil Baroni, and he’s “not ready to die”
MMAFighting.com: Lodune Sincaid Q & A
UFC Junkie: An Interview with Sean Salmon
Today the International Fight League announced that they would be adding four new coaches and heavy-handed slugger Robbie Lawler would be making his IFL debut in a superfight against Eduardo Pamplona.
The four coaches that were introduced to the crowd were PRIDE and UFC veteran Dan Henderson, South Korean judoka and martial arts instructor Doo B. Park, BJJ expert and PRIDE veteran Mario Sperry, and finally K-1 kickboxing legend Jerome LeBanner.
The IFL also announced that UFC and PRIDE veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler would be taking on Eduardo Pamplona February 23rd in Atlanta, Georgia. Pamplona was originally scheduled to face UFC veteran Ivan Salaverry but the fight was cancelled when the UFC purchased the WFA contracts which included Salaverry.
With only nine days remaining until the Icon Sport: Unstoppable card it has been announced that UFC and Pride veteran Robbie Lawler has been forced to withdraw from his fight due to an injured hand.
It has also been announced that Golden Gloves Hall of Fame boxer Jeremy Williams will make his MMA debut on the Icon card. Williams was previously scheduled to appear on WFA: King of the Streets 2 but with the event being postponed Williams has taken the opportunity to make his debut in Hawaii.
Dream Stage Entertainment has announced two more fights slated to take place at PRIDE’s upcoming show ‘The Real Deal’. UFC veteran Robbie Lawler will be making his PRIDE debut against Joey “Dreamsmasher” Villasenor. Also on the card will be UFC veteran Marvin Eastman against Kazuhiro Nakamura.
As of late Robbie Lawler has been spending his time in Hawaii with Icon Sport. He just recently lost his middleweight title to Jason “Mayhem” Miller after going 2-0 in Icon Sport. Joey Villasenor made his PRIDE debut earlier this year at Bushido 11. He went up against Ryo Chonan and lost a controversial spilt decision. He has fought once then earning a TKO victory over John Cronk.
Marvin Eastman is coming off of a draw against Jorge Oliviera at WFA: King of the Streets. Eastman was scheduled to face Vernon “Tiger” White September 29th but he was forced to withdraw due to a hand injury. Eastman’s opponent, Kazuhiro Nakamura is a veteran of PRIDE and he has fought some top notch competition. Nakamura is 10-5 in PRIDE and he holds victories over the likes of Igor Vovchanchyn, Yuki Kondo, Murilo Bustamante, among others.
Frank Trigg is back! Icon Sport has announced that they have signed UFC veteran Frank Trigg.
Trigg’s first fight will be against Jason “Mayhem” Miller December 1st for the Icon Sport Middleweight Championship. Trigg will be moving up from welterweight (170 lbs) to middleweight (185 lbs) to fight Miller.
“Trigg has all the tools to become the next Icon Sport Middleweight Champion. He excels at doing damage from the top position. And we saw what happened when Lawler got on top of Mayhem in that now-infamous second round of their bout…Lawler nearly finished the fight right there. Mayhem will be in real trouble if he finds himself under someone who has the wrestling and ground-and-pound skills of Trigg. Trigg vs. Mayhem will be an absolute war.”
The December 1st card will also feature UFC veterans Robbie Lawler and Falaniko Vitale fighting in their respective weight classes.
Icon Sport has announced the full card for their September 2nd event titled “Mayhem vs. Lawler”.
ICON SPORT: Mayhem vs. Lawler
7:30pm September 2ND
Jason Miller vs Robbie Lawler
Ron Verdadero vs Nick Ring
Jason Dent vs Kolo Koka
Ikaika Silva vs Tyson Nam
Mike Russo vs Jay Jack
Kimo Woelfel vs Sydney Silva
Paul Gorman vs. Mark Oshiro
Marshall Harvest vs Makana Albino
Chico Cantiberas vs. Kevin Delima
Lowen Cabuag vs Kenneth Gusman
Keoni Bryant vs Derek Stadler
Shaun Durfee vs. Thomas Ferguson
Peni Taufa’ao vs. Ricky Wallace