NEW YORK – In less than seven months, ProElite’s respected live fight division, EliteXC, has gained the reputation for delivering consistently competitive, thrilling and memorable live Mixed Martial Arts events that showcase the world’s top fighters.
Under the watchful eye of Live Events President, Gary Shaw, EliteXC and SHOWTIME already have produced many significant accomplishments and has made MMA history on a couple of occasions; the most noteworthy of which: EliteXC is the first and only MMA organization on premium television.
On Saturday, Sept. 15, at Oahu, Hawaii, EliteXC will establish another first when it presents the most significant MMA event in Hawaiian history and the initial collaboration between EliteXC and Hawaii-based promoters and former rivals, ICON Sport and ROTR (Rumble On The Rock). The remarkable event will feature an explosive five-fight telecast airing live on SHOWTIME at 10 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast) followed by four fights streaming live at the premier mixed martial arts social networking and entertainment site, ProElite.com.
MMA on Tap has confirmed that Icon Sport middleweight champion “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler has signed a four-fight contract with EliteXC. Lawler’s first bout under the new deal will come September 15, 2007 in Honolulu, Hawaii when he battles Murilo “Ninja” Rua in a Icon Sport/EliteXC middleweight unification bout at EliteXC: Uprising.
Robbie Lawler sports a MMA record of 14-4 with impressive victories over the likes of Falaniko Vitale, Joey Villasenor, Eduardo Pamplona, and Tiki Ghosn. Lawler claimed the Icon Sport middleweight crown earlier this year when he scored a vicious fourth round knockout over the very highly touted Frank Trigg.
Elite XC, ICON Sport, and Rumble on the Rock announced their official partnership earlier today at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Elite XC President Gary Shaw commented on the importance of the three promotions working together:
“It really is a major step,” said Director of Live Events for EliteXC Gary Shaw with ICON promoter T. Jay Thompson seated to his right and ROTR’s J.D. Penn on his left.
The new alliance’s first event will take place on September 15th at the Blaisdell Arena. Dubbed Elite XC - Uprising, the event will feature Elite XC Middleweight Champion Murlio Rua defending his title against ICON Middleweight Champion Robbie Lawler. The event will be broadcast on Showtime.
“September 15 will be the biggest MMA event Hawaii has ever seen,” said Thompson, however the longtime Hawaii promoter predicted “it won’t be the biggest MMA event Hawaii will see in the future.”
Shaw also talked about future Elite XC-promoted events that will take place in Hawaii:
“Coming to Hawaii was important to EliteXC,” said Shaw. “As I said before, I believe this is really the home of mixed martial arts. Next year we’ll be back. We won’t be back in ‘07, but I guarantee to you … we’ll be back here in ‘08.”
The complete card for the Uprising event was also announced during the press conference:
Murilo Rua vs Robbie Lawler - EliteXC Middleweight Championship
Nick Diaz vs Mike Aina
Joey Villasenor vs Riki Fukuda
Renato Verissimo vs Jake Shields
Gina Carano vs Tonya Evinger
Jaw Suk Kim vs Brandon Wolff
Kala Halohe Hose vs Jeff Cox
Mark Oshiro vs Nui Wheeler
Mark Kurano vs Jose Diaz
Justin Bucholz vs Kolo Koka
Tyson Nam vs Albert Manner
The preliminary bouts will be streamed for free at Pro Elite’s official website. The main card will be broadcast on Showtime.
Update 1:33 PM: The Fight Network is reporting that Pro Elite, the parent company of Elite XC, is currently in serious discussions regarding the possible purchase of ICON Sport.
Icon Sport promoter and matchmaker Patrick Freitas confirmed Thursday that Pro Elite, parent company of EliteXC, were still in serious discussions regarding the purchase of the Hawaii-based mixed martial arts promotion. Freitas stopped short of calling any deal imminent, but the conceded the two promotions have been in negotiations for months.
“I think it’s no secret that Pro Elite and Icon are talking about the acquisition of Icon, but anything could happen,” Freitas said.
According to Freitas, should the deal be consummated, Pro Elite would purchase the rights to the company and would hire Icon Sport president T.J. Thompson and Freitas to run events as consultants. The Icon Sport brand would remain intact. The relationship between Pro Elite and Icon Sport began in March when Proelite.com streamed the Icon Sport middleweight championship bout between Robbie Lawler and Frank Trigg.
Today Tagg Radio broke the news that Forrest Griffin would face PRIDE light heavyweight ace Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 76 on September 22nd in Anahiem, California. Master Rudimar Fedrigo solidified those reports but confirming that Shogun went to Las Vegas to sign the contract and shoot some pre-fight videos.
Master Rudimar Fedrigo confirmed us that Mauricio Shogun will face Forrest Griffin at UFC 76, that is schedule for September 22, at. “We went specially to Las Vegas to sign the contract for four fights and to record the videos for before the fight”, said Rudimar, that arrive at Curitiba today.
Rudimar also confirmed that Shogun’s brother, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, would be defending his EliteXC middleweight title against Robbie Lawler.
Sherdog.com is reporting that Icon Sport: Fearless has been pushed back from June 30th to September 15th.
A separated shoulder incurred by Robbie Lawler has pushed back ICON Sport’s June 30 fight card to Sept. 15, the Hawaii-based promotion announced in a press release Monday.
Lawler is expected to resume training in four to six weeks.
Icon Sport has officially announced that their new middleweight champion Robbie Lawler will defend his belt June 30th when he faces tough Hawaiian brawler Kala Kolohe Hose.
Icon Sport MW Champion Robbie Lawler sports a MMA record of 14-4 and a Icon Sport record of 3-1. Lawler recently won back his middleweight title when he knocked out UFC and PRIDE veteran Frank Trigg late in their five round title fight.
Kala Kolohe Hose sports a MMA record of 3-1. Hose lost his first MMA bout to IFL veteran Reese Andy but since then he has gone 3-0 with all of his fights ending by KO.
Icon Sport: Fearless
Tentative fight card:
Robbie Lawler vs. Kala Kolohe Hose
Renato Verissimo vs. TBD
Mark Oshiro vs. Tony Rodriguez
Bronsen Pieper vs. Sadhu Bott
Poai Suganuma vs. Richard Desforge
Jeremy Williams vs. Mike Malone
Mark Kurano vs. Jose Diaz
Tyson Nam vs. Devon Chong
Kaleo Kwan vs. Jeremy Castro
Wayne Parrin vs. TBD
Keoni Bryant vs. TBD
News and Notes
- Last night Robbie Lawler KO’d Frank Trigg to become the Icon Sport middleweight champion for the second time in his career. Be sure to check out our ‘Live Blog’ for the evenings event.
- Mike Brown has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming fight at BodogFight: Clash of the Nations due to a torn bicep.
- PRIDE veteran Wanderlei Silva is still awaiting medical clearance in order to compete on the upcoming PRIDE 34 card. No opponent has been named for Silva and the card is only one week away.
- According the The Fight Network, Zuffa is strongly considering moving Mark Hominick’s contract to the WEC so he can compete in their 145 lbs. division.
- Be sure to check us out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/mmaontap.
UFC Junkie: Interview with Josh Koscheck
If you have any good links feel free to leave them in the comments section.
The Honolulu Advertiser is reporting that Frank Trigg, fresh off a victory over Kazuo Misaki at Pride 33 this past weekend, will defend his ICON Sport Middleweight Title against Robbie Lawler at the promotion’s event - ICON Sport: Epic on March 31st.
The event is said to be taking place at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Kazushi Sakuraba will be fighting Jurij Kiselov at K-1’s next Heros show on March 12th.
K-1 also announced two additional bouts, bringing the complete card thus far to this:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Jurij Kiselov
Vitor Riberio vs Ryuki Ueyama
Caol Uno vs Ali Ibrahim
Kazuyki Miyata vs Kultar Gill
Melvin Manhoef vs Yoshiki Takahashi
Yoshihisa Yamamoto vs Katsuyori Shibata
Hiroyuki Takaya vs Andre Dida
News and Notes
- Icon Sport will be holding an event February 9th and the headline bout will be a battle between UFC and Pride veteran “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler and Trevor Garret. Also on the card will be Renato Verissimo, Jeremy Williams, and Scott Junk.
- UFC veterans Justin Eilers and Pedro Rizzo will fight March 9th at the American Airline Center. The fight will take place in the new organization dubbed the ‘International Fighters Association’ and it will be televised on HDNet. HDNet previously televised the WEC until it was purchased by the UFC and moved to Versus. The matchmaker will be UFC and Pride veteran Guy Metzger and the ring announcer will be Bruce Buffer. Here is the current card…
Pedro Rizzo vs. Justin Eilers
Carlo Prater vs. Dennis Levensky
Alex Andrade vs. Klas Akesson
Matt Grice vs. Yuki Inoue
Buddy Clinton vs. Kenneth Rosfort
Eric Schambari vs. Christian Smith
Justin Wren vs. Trent Standing
Alonozo Martinez vs. Tom East
Sonny Neilson vs. Travis Bush
- MMAWeekly has Luke Cummo vs. Josh Haynes and Wilson Gouveia vs. Hector Ramirez rumored for the UFC Fight Night 10 card on April 5th. Also rumored to be on the card is Josh Koscheck and Kendall Grove.
- Mitsuhiro Ishida has vacated his Shooto Pacific Rim 154-pound championship title.
- In an article on the TKO homepage, UFC matchmaker confirmed that Mark Hominick and Sam Stout would be back in the UFC in the New Year.
News and Notes
- The IFL has confirmed that “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler will participate in a superfight against rising Brazilian star Eduardo Pamplona on the upcoming February 23rd event in Atlanta, Ga.
- The UFC has launched the official site for UFC 67: All or Nothing. It can be found here.
- Last night on ‘Inside the UFC’, Randy “The Natural” Couture sat down with Joe Rogan and announced that he signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC and his first fight will come against UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia.
- Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries is scheduled to take place at UFC 68.
- King of the Cage will be coming to Hull, Quebec January 20th with their card dubbed King of the Cage : Freedom Fight.
KOTC: Freedom Fight
Travis Galbraith vs. Craig Brown (205 lbs.)
Mark Bocek vs. Matt Fiordirosa (155 lbs.)
TJ Grant vs. Nick Portieous (170 lbs.)
Barry McDonald vs. Tony Legnaro (155 lbs.)
Markhaile Wedderburn vs. Mickel Alexander (185 lbs.)
Jean Marc Lalonde vs. Brett Portieous (155 lbs.)
Stephane Lamarche vs. Garrett Velroy (170 lbs.)
Nick Denis vs. Shawn Lalonde (145 lbs.)
Wayne Xilon vs. John Cole (250 lbs. challenge fight)
Yan Fortier vs. Allen Harvey (170 lbs.)
Andre Dreosiers vs. Mike Delorne (Heavyweight challenge fight)