Rich Franklin (185) vs. Yushin Okami (185)
Forrest Griffin (204) vs. Hector Ramirez (204)
Jason MacDonald (185) vs. Rory Singer (186)
Tyson Griffin (155) vs. Clay Guida (155)
Marcus Davis (169) vs. Jason Tan (169)
Eddie Sanchez (234) vs. Colin Robinson (238)
Ed Herman (186) vs. Scott Smith (185)
Dustin Hazelett (169) vs. Steve Lynch (170)
News and Notes
- Tonight’s TUF 5 episode will feature two quarterfinal bouts: Nate Diaz vs Corey Hill and Matt Wiman vs Manny Gamburyan
- Last night on bodogFIGHT: Costa Rica Combat - Nick Thompson stopped Dustin Denes with strikes on the ground in the second round and Eddie Alvarez was victorious with a TKO win over Scott Henze by TKO.
- The rumors are true when it comes to Sherdog adding a third live radio show to it’s lineup. The Stephen Quadros Show will debut on Tuesday, June 12th at 3 PM EST.
- Showtime will replay selected bouts from K-1 Dynamite!! USA this Saturday night at 9 PM EST to precede the Antonio Tarver and Chad Dawson doubleheader started at 10 PM. Brock Lesnar’s MMA debut and the rematch between Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba will be shown in their entirety while highlights from the other fights on the card will be shown.
Video of the Day
News and Notes
- Our rumors section has been updated once again…
- The always popular MMA on Tap Top Ten has been updated and was posted yesterday for everyone to break down and take in. Be sure to leave comments with any corrections, props, thoughts, and suggestions that you might have.
- Our latest edition of Rock the Vote has been posted - Who will be victorious in UFC 72’s main event: Rich Franklin or Yushin Okami? Be sure to add your pick…
Here are the results for our last poll:
Chuck Liddell: 25%
Mirko Cro Cop: 23%
Andrei Arlovski: 17%
Tim Sylvia: 17%
Gabriel Gonzaga: 8%
Randy Couture: 8%
Heath Herring: 2%
- Scott put together a nice mini-interview with Jonathan Goulet discussing Goulet’s recent win over Travis Axworthy this past weekend as well as his thoughts on John Alessio’s peformance on Sunday night. MMA Weekly caught wind of the piece and was going to ask Alessio about Goulet’s comments on last night’s radio show but Alessio failed to appear.
- The Fight Network is reporting that renowned grappler Marcelo Garcia is in California training with Team Quest this week. K-1 stated in a pre-fight press conference for Dynamite!! USA that Garcia would make his debut in September.
- Leonard Garcia has announced that he will be fighting on the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 5. Garcia did not say who his opponent will be.
Video of the Day
Live Shows -
With Martin Kampmann on the shelf with a knee injury, former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin confirmed that he’ll be facing fellow middleweight contender Yushin Okami at UFC 72 in Belfast, Ireland.
From Rich Franklin.com
I spoke with Monte (my manager) Saturday evening and that conversation eluded to the fact that Kampman may be out. Monday,I was told he would be replaced with a top 10 opponent, and Okami was presented as the likely possibility. Later that day we found out Okami signed. From my end, the contract remains the same, and I’m still excited to fight June 16th in Belfast. My camp will make some changes in my training as well as develop a new strategy to approach this fight. However, I was and will continue preparing a fight…not a person.
Martin Kampmann has been forced to withdraw from his June 16th bout with Rich Franklin due to a knee injury suffered while training.
A knee injury suffered during training has forced middleweight contender Martin Kampmann to withdraw from his June 16th bout with Rich Franklin in Belfast, Northern Ireland. A new opponent for Franklin is currently being sought for the UFC 72 main event and will be announced shortly.
Kampmann (15-2) is undefeated in the UFC with victories over Crafton Wallace, Thales Leites, and Drew McFedries. The UFC is currently looking for a replacement and at this point it Yushin Okami seems like a logical choice.
Feel free to comment on who you’d like to see step in for Kampmann at UFC 72.
Sherdog is reporting that Rich Franklin will meet Martin Kampmann in the main event of the UFC’s inaugural event in Ireland on June 16th.
It is also being reported that Dana White will officially announce the contest and the event during tonight’s UFC Fight Night 9 on Spike TV. On top of that, a possible bout between Forrest Griffin and Hector Ramirez is being rumored.
MMA Weekly’s rumor page also has Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida as a possible matchup for the event as well…
MMAWeekly has obtained the salaries for this past weekend’s UFC 68: The Uprising, held in Columbus, Ohio. As usual, these numbers represent only the actual money given to the fighters, both their salary and win bonuses. It does not include any PPV buy cuts or sponsorships.
UFC 68—- March 3, 2007
Title Match & Main Event Fighters
-Randy Couture: $250,000 (17th fight in UFC; defeated Tim Sylvia)
-Tim Sylvia: $100,000 (11th fight in UFC; lost to Randy Couture)
Main Card Fighters
-Matt Hughes: $150,000 (18th fight in UFC; defeated Chris Lytle)
-Rich Franklin: $42,000 (9th fight in UFC; defeated Jason MacDonald)
-Renato “Babalu” Sobral: $21,000 (9th fight in UFC; lost to Jason Lambert)
-Martin Kampmann: $20,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Drew McFedries)
-Jason Lambert: $18,000 (5th fight in UFC; defeated Renato “Babalu” Sobral)
-Jason MacDonald: $14,000 (3rd fight in UFC; lost to Rich Franklin)
-Chris Lytle: $10,000 (8th fight in UFC; lost to Matt Hughes)
-Drew McFedries: $5,000 (2nd fight in UFC; lost to Martin Kampmann)
Preliminary Match Fighters
-Jon Fitch: $28,000 (5th fight in UFC; defeated Luigi Fioravanti)
-Matt Hamill: $10,000 (3rd fight in UFC; defeated Rex Holman)
-Luigi Fioravanti: $8,000 (4th fight in UFC; lost to Jon Fitch)
-Jamie Varner: $6,000 (2nd fight in UFC; defeated Jason Gilliam)
-Gleison Tibau: $6,000 (2nd fight in UFC; defeated Jason Dent)
-Rex Holman: $3,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Matt Hamill)
-Jason Gilliam: $3,000 (1st fight in UFC; lost to Jamie Varner)
-Jason Dent: $3,000 (2nd fight in UFC; lost to Gleison Tibau)
Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $697,000
Canadian middleweight Jason “The Athlete” MacDonald will make his return to the octagon March 3rd when he faces former UFC middleweight champion Rich “Ace” Franklin.
“When you continue to be successful in the UFC, each time you go back you get a tougher fight,” MacDonald said in a statement. “I got a big win over (Chris) Leben who was considered to be in the top five and now they’re giving me someone else who is another top guy.”
Jason MacDonald made his UFC debut earlier this year when he choked out ‘The Ultimate Fighter 3’ runner up Ed Herman. MacDonald was able to continue his winning streak last Saturday when he choked out Herman’s teammate Chris Leben making it six wins in a row for the New Glasgow, N.S. native.
In other news, it is expected that former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes will face Chris Lytle at UFC 68.
Update: 5:21 PM EST - Sherdog.com is reporting that along with signing to fight Rich Franklin, Jason MacDonald has also agreed to a signing bonus and a new four-fight contract.
Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin has been medically cleared after he suffered nasal fractures during his fight against Anderson Silva at UFC 64: Unstoppable.
Find out more here…