Former longtime UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has accomplished almost everything in mixed martial arts, including recently saving his career with the organization.
However, at 36 years-of-age and a nearly 14-year career plagued with ups and downs and in recent years, an array of injuries, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" says that he has almost had enough.
Watch and listen to Ortiz discuss his potential retirement next year as well as comments from UFC 140 main card fighters Jon Jones, Lyoto Machida, Frank Mir, the Nogueira brothers and others after the jump.
It's a great day for lighterweight fighters but a day of reflection for former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.
UFC President Dana White announced today that the organization will be making an announcement regarding the addition of a 125 lb. division at some point this weekend, a move well over a year in the making.
He also commented on Evans' remarks towards UFC on Fox 2 opponent Phil Davis at yesterday's pre-event press conference, in which Evans compared his planned striking strategy to that of shamed former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who is currently under investigation for over a dozen counts of child abuse.
Members of the media met today with the six-man main card lineup for the UFC's second event on FOX, which will take place on January 28 at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois.
UFC President Dana White took the podium alongside participants Rashad Evans, Phil Davis, Chael Sonnen, Mark Munoz, Michael Bisping and Demian Maia. The proceedings were interesting to say the least.
After the jump is video of the entire press conference. Enjoy.
Despite continual speculation that Strikeforce will make like other Zuffa-owned organizations and fold into the UFC in the very near future, longtime promotional figurehead Scott Coker still has hope for his creation.
Reports were published earlier this week that the organization was set to renew its contract with Showtime, albeit under some different terms. According to Coker, negotiations are ongoing, but nothing has been signed yet.
"There’s nothing to announce but I’m optimistic at this point," Coker said on a Tuesday conference call to promote Strikeforce's next event on December 17. "We’ll have to wait and see. I think that things are going well and I think that we’ll have something shortly.
If you haven't heard already, Georges St. Pierre has suffered a knee injury in training and has been forced to bow out of his seventh title defense against Carlos Condit next weekend. B.J. Penn and Nick Diaz will assume headline status.
This sucks actually. In my opinion, UFC 137 could have easily turned out to be one of the most entertaining cards of the year, if not the best. Thanks to a stacked undercard, there are still enough intriguing matchups that the event remains a can't-miss, but the growing feeling that Condit may do better than expected would have made things a lot of fun to watch.'
The Maximum Fighting Championship announces today that lightweight Drew Fickett has been released from his contract with the company.
Fickett was handed a first-round TKO defeat at the hands of Brian Cobb at MFC 30, and was then given permission to fight in Japan this past weekend. However, Fickett was dealt a second consecutive first-round knockout loss thereby nullifying his contract.
“Drew had the consent of the MFC to fight in Japan, but he and his management were expressly told that if he lost badly again he would be released, and therefore Drew has been released,” explained MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.
Dana White. Photo courtesy of Playboy Magazine.
The UFC will hold a press conference today at 12:00 PM ET promoting UFC 135, which features a light heavyweight title bout between champion Jon Jones and former champion and challenger Quinton "Rampage" Jackson on September 24 at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado.
Both Jones and Jackson will be in attendance as well as UFC President Dana White and other fighters slated to compete on the card.
Video of the press conference can be seen after the jump.
Here's UFC President Dana White's first video blog for the week leading up to Saturday night's UFC 130 event in Las Vegas.
Scott Coker. Photo by Esther Lin/AllElbows.com.
After weeks of speculation from media outlets and silence from Strikeforce, the organization officially announced today that it has postponed the remaining quarterfinals of its heralded heavyweight grand prix tournament.
Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers will now take place on June 18 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, TX. In addition, Strikeforce's planned April 9 event is now loaded with a pair of title fights - Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez defending in a rematch against Tatsuya Kawajiri and welterweight king Nick Diaz facing Paul Daley.
It looks like April 9 will be a success for the promotion after all, but the momentum gained from the start of the tournament last month has surely been lost. So why did things get pushed back anyway?
Jon Fitch. Photo by Adrian Valenzuela.
The UFC's latest trip to Australia was supposed to crown a clear-cut contender for Georges St. Pierre's welterweight title, regardless of whether he wanted to keep the belt following a potential win over Jake Shields in April.
Instead, things remain the same courtesy of a hotly-contested majority draw between Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn, leaving the welterweight division in limbo once again.
In addition, a win over Jorge Rivera has now catapulted Michael Bisping into the upper echelon of the UFC's middleweight ranks, but will his post-fight antics cost him a big fight in the near future?